Battery Powered Tools - Which Brand?

I guess I'll be the 1st to admit to Black & Decker... Many Many Moons ago I Bought an 18V kit that had a drill, circular and reciprocating saw. About 12 years ago I found a deal on a 20V set of the same, and the 18V went to my son.... he still using them.
Currently have 2 drills, impact driver, circular and reciprocating saw, chain saw and Blower. Have considered getting a string trimer.

I recently upgraded to a B&D 12 pc multitool that uses the same battery.
I’ve been very happy with the tools I’ve used so far.

The problem is Milwaukee 2023 is not the same as Milwaukee 1985. The products are now all made overseas, and there are some duds. They will honor their warranty, but be warned, you have to take it to a shop and pay shipping charges. I had a portable hand saw that was out of kilter and had to pay $25 for warranty service. Still worth it.

This is news to me too. I haven't had much experience with Milwaukee's warranty claims procedures, only one item, but that was easy. Last year I bought a backpack sprayer which worked wonderfully last year, but this spring the tank leaked. It has a five-year warranty, so I took it to the nearest Milwaukee service center, which happens to be about a mile from my house, even closer than a UPS or FedEx location. About two weeks later I had a new tank with some changes that seem to have resolved the leaking issue. No charge for anything.

You had to pay shipping for your Milwaukee? A year and half ago when we had to get our battery nailer repaired, Milwaukee just gave us a RMA tag and Fed-Ex label and had us drop it off at the nearest Fed-ex store, which was a Safeway. No charge at all.

Yes I did. Perhaps I needed to push back? When I called, they told me to go to a local authorized repair shop. I did. The repair shop said they can't do that kind of job (plate out of alignment) and have to send it back to the factory. And because of that, shipping was on me!

Next time I need repair I guess I'll push back and mention that their local authorized dealer sucks.

Down to brass tacks on Milwaukee batteries

My biggest ecosystem is Milwaukee, and I love all of the tools. I have a lot of them. (Blower, string trimmer, drill, impact driver, two circular saws, hacksall, 2 vacuums)

I have had great luck with their XC5.0 and CP1.0 batteries. I've had bad luck with their HO XC8.0 batteries. Within a year, they couldn't charge fully, and they only last about 1/2 the time of the XC5.0.

My recommendation to anyone getting Milwaukee is stick with the XC5.0. They have good weight and balance. The 8.0s are kind of large anyway. The CP1.0s are really good too for smaller, lower draw tools. I've had great luck with them also, and they are very lightweight. Perfect for low usage on a drill.

Pictures:

Attachments

• m185.jpg
    m185.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 10
  • m18ho.jpg
    m18ho.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 10
Even though I am on the Dewalt platform, there is one "line" that folks will often "add" to their main platform (if it isn't already their main platform) - the Milwaukee M12 (12 volt) platform. This is easily the best 12 volt platform out there and the brushless (i.e. M12 Fuel) tools tend to get a lot of praise. These tools are generally compact and the "Fuel" line are powerful (admittedly - the fuel line gets pricey and can approach 18 volt tool prices.

The only funkiness with the M12 line is the batteries fit in the handles and while this can make them super compact, the handles are fatter and some folks don't care for that. In general though, as folks get older they often appreciate lighter tools - "power" gets all the headlines, but isn't everything.

In many ways, it really comes down to "what do you anticipate DOING with these tools?". If it is drilling a few holes, hanging some pics, cutting an occasional piece of wood - well almost any tool will do and no need to drop a lot of coin. If you building a deck, fences, remodel, then maybe spend more.

Finally, the "pro" lines actually have cheaper tools within them so getting a "pro" brand doesn't always mean you are getting an awesome tool. Since I am in Dewalt, I am more familiar with their stuff. In GENERAL, their pecking order is something like: Brushed tools > Generic Brushless Tools > Atomic brushless tools > XR brushless tools (includes flexvolt advantage and power detect tools too) > Flexvolt 60 volt tools (these are more about extra power vs. just quality). I have gravitated to the XR tools, but have at least one atomic....honestly, all are overkill for my home use.

Have been out wst at my son's for the last 10 days. On evacuation alert for forest fires but that's another story! Bought a 20V Dewalt nail gun to do some flooring and trim. I am very impressed. Does a great job and goes and goes!

Back
Top Bottom