Beating 2026 tax increase

My $0.02,

My spouse will most likely outlive me, kids seem to be starting well enough off. Kids could very well end up with our IRAs in their prime time earning year with 10 years to dump them, not perfect by any means.

Not retired yet but current thinking is to knock down the IRAs to around 500k before one of us kicks the bucket.

I do think 1 million tax deferred for a couple entering retirement is sane, at least for us not so high earners with modest means.

It's all one big game!

We just had a financial plan done with Schwab, with the big question being “should we continue with Roth conversions.” They said we should stop Roth conversions because our planned QCDs will keep us from paying IRMAA or high taxes on RMDs. We currently have $1.7M in tIRAs and are about to turn 67. They couldn’t answer the question about IRMAA or RMDs if one of us passed early. Very dissatisfied with their plan because they didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know.

We just had a financial plan done with Schwab, with the big question being “should we continue with Roth conversions.” They said we should stop Roth conversions because our planned QCDs will keep us from paying IRMAA or high taxes on RMDs. We currently have $1.7M in tIRAs and are about to turn 67. They couldn’t answer the question about IRMAA or RMDs if one of us passed early. Very dissatisfied with their plan because they didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know.

Yeah, my first instinct would be to Roth until you figure it out a bit better. But that's just me.

Back
Top Bottom