Bernicke’s model questions

PandaBear

Recycles dryer sheets
EDIT: well I figured out my error.

Well I thought I figured my error, but perhaps not. If I start with 270K spending model at age 58, I have 19 years of reduction and ten 11 years consistent with the Bernicke model.

22K Social Security
87K + 75K pensions (no inflation)
1.8 million in assets.

The model says it reduces by 2-3% a year. But I hot a baseline at 19 years at about 125K per year.

But when I manually reduce 270K by 3% a year over 19 years, I end at about 160K.

I guess that’s what I wonder what I’m doing wrong?

Last edited:
Please define the Bernicke model and a constant spending model. We can comment if we know what you are talking about.

Are you using Firecalc with the default settings? If you enter your pension you can select COLA or non COLA - you would select non-COLA. Then on the tab where you select spending models it assumes a decline in spending after a certain age with Bernicke.

Inflation is covered - it's 'real dollars'... and is accounted for by selecting not-COLA for your pensions.

From the description in FIRECalc "If selected, this option will reduce your inflation-adjusted yearly spending by 2-3% per year starting at age 56, and then stabilizing at age 76 to keep up with inflation." So yes, Bernicke is both inflation adjusted and reduced by 2-3% per year.

It ends up being a pretty substantial cut over 20 years - about half. But it is based on analysis of actual spending data so has a basis.

When I play with the Bernicke model I usually lie about my age, subtracting 10 years. This starts the spending reductions at 66 instead of 56 years of age. Using that model, and not being a borderline spending case (comfortably above 100% in FIRECalc), seems to give rational results.

Are you using Firecalc with the default settings? If you enter your pension you can select COLA or non COLA - you would select non-COLA. Then on the tab where you select spending models it assumes a decline in spending after a certain age with Bernicke.

Inflation is covered - it's 'real dollars'... and is accounted for by selecting not-COLA for your pensions.

Thank you, I did that. I thought that’s where I screwed up, but it wasn’t.

From the description in FIRECalc "If selected, this option will reduce your inflation-adjusted yearly spending by 2-3% per year starting at age 56, and then stabilizing at age 76 to keep up with inflation." So yes, Bernicke is both inflation adjusted and reduced by 2-3% per year.

It ends up being a pretty substantial cut over 20 years - about half. But it is based on analysis of actual spending data so has a basis.

When I play with the Bernicke model I usually lie about my age, subtracting 10 years. This starts the spending reductions at 66 instead of 56 years of age. Using that model, and not being a borderline spending case (comfortably above 100% in FIRECalc), seems to give rational results.

This is why I’m confused. Why is the reduction so significant? (I start at 270K and end about 125K) When I do the numbers manually, the drop isn’t so great.

That’s a good idea. I will try that.

Back
Top Bottom