Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2023 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amex Savings went up to 3.9% a couple of days ago. I thought Ally would at least match them.

Fortunately at Ally I have most of my funds in their no penalty 4.75% CDs that were available for a very short while. A bit more in longer 4.65% CDs.

I keep funds in several high yield savings accounts, just in case, you ever know. Fortunately some of those banks offered some pretty good CD rates recently which I took advantage of.

I have a very small account at Ally. Just waiting for them to do something to become competitive.

5%

Well, my magic spreadsheet of all my fixed holdings tells me my weighted yield is now 5%! :dance:

Weighted APY on cash, bank accounts, money market funds, CD's, treasuries, etc. 5.001%
Weighted days to maturity: 357 days.
Breakdown of fixed by asset type: Cash (bank checking/savings) 1.3%. money market 7.1%, Tbills/Tnotes/TIPS 43.8%, CD's 46.4%, corporate bonds 1.7%. Not included are savings bonds and some preferred, which will likely skew the yields higher.

Only recently have I been tracking changes in my weighted yield, the oldest data point I have is December 12, 2022 and the number was 4.279%.

Well, my magic spreadsheet of all my fixed holdings tells me my weighted yield is now 5%! :dance:

Weighted APY on cash, bank accounts, money market funds, CD's, treasuries, etc. 5.001%
Weighted days to maturity: 357 days.
Breakdown of fixed by asset type: Cash (bank checking/savings) 1.3%. money market 7.1%, Tbills/Tnotes/TIPS 43.8%, CD's 46.4%, corporate bonds 1.7%. Not included are savings bonds and some preferred, which will likely skew the yields higher.

Only recently have I been tracking changes in my weighted yield, the oldest data point I have is December 12, 2022 and the number was 4.279%.
Nice! The current yield on our fixed income investment portfolio right now is 5.09% with an average maturity of 249 days and is 60.2% Treasuries, 32.8% CDs, 5.7% Agency notes, 1.0% money market and 0.3% cash. Corporate bonds are not paying enough of a risk premium for me to bite right now. This does not include money in savings accounts which earns less and is meant for off-budget spending, not investment.

Me... 5.220%, 2.65 years/966 days;
46% CDs, 30% Agencies, 14% Corp, 8% I-Bonds, 2% Preferreds
49% Callable

DM... 4.620%, 1.73 years/630 days;
50% CDs, 30% Agencies, 20% UST
30% Callable

Nice! The current yield on our fixed income investment portfolio right now is 5.09% with an average maturity of 249 days and is 60.2% Treasuries, 32.8% CDs, 5.7% Agency notes, 1.0% money market and 0.3% cash. Corporate bonds are not paying enough of a risk premium for me to bite right now. This does not include money in savings accounts which earns less and is meant for off-budget spending, not investment.

Nice to you too! I include savings/checking accounts as a way to "force" me to think/act on keeping those balances (yielding next to nothing) in check. Maybe I should change to be able to write checks on a high yielding MM but changing everything over (direct deposit, autopay) is a hassle. Still, something to consider.

Me... 5.220%, 2.65 years/966 days;
46% CDs, 30% Agencies, 14% Corp, 8% I-Bonds, 2% Preferreds
49% Callable

DM... 4.620%, 1.73 years/630 days;
50% CDs, 30% Agencies, 20% UST
30% Callable

Nice on the 5.22%. I am keeping things pretty conservative on my fixed side (very little in terms of corporates and minimal callable). This is somewhat my nature, somewhat because I expect additional economic duress ahead (and don't want to worry about investment risk) and also because I still have 38% or so in equities as my upside/additional beta components.

My self managed IRA CD's "crop" is yielding about 4.7% with ~400 day avg maturity at this time. I've got some in the mid 3% that drag down my avg.

My 401k (professionally managed conservative fund) is yielding over 7%. (believe it or not) Fortunately that's where I have my big bucks.

Last edited:
My 401k (professionally managed conservative fund) is yielding over 7%. (believe it or not) Fortunately that's where I have my big bucks.
I'm not sure how anything "conservative" can be yielding over 7%. There must be some risk somewhere to get that yield.

^^^^^
Well everything has risk.... The company calls the fund "conservative" in their documentation. Anyway, I've been in this 401k for over 40 years and never lost a dime. Some years have been pretty lean but I've always made money. It's a managed fund by a company subsidiary and is ~99% paid for by the company. (I think I pay $100 yr as a retiree) They invest in things like high quality US securities, US I Bonds, corporate/bank securities and a good chuck is used for making loans to employees that are still working, currently at 8.75%. :)

Last year I think I ended up getting a little over 7% for the entire year. Not too bad. This year I'm on track to beat last year numbers by a little. The first quarter, I got an annualized rate of 7.64%.

Last edited:
Not IBonds as those are only available to the individual investor - so it’s something else.

I wonder about that too, but that's what it says in their documentation. They even say "they pay a rate of interest based on the rate of inflation of the United States."

Last edited:
I'm glad that one has worked out Car-Guy but my guess is the actual breakdown of securities may be different than you expect. 7%+ is not easily achieved in this market with high quality securities.

I'm glad that one has worked out Car-Guy but my guess is the actual breakdown of securities may be different than you expect. 7%+ is not easily achieved in this market with high quality securities.
I can only tell you what the documentation says. I know for sure they are getting a nice return on part of my money by making personal loans to employees @8.75%. And they have a lot of employees.

@ Fido.....1-year call protected 5.35% monthly payment CD at Encore Bank (DSN5Q2391)

I can only tell you what the documentation says. I know for sure they are getting a nice return on part of my money by making personal loans to employees @8.75%. And they have a lot of employees.

Probably the bigger part of the reason is the loans, making it almost a super sized Stable Value fund of sorts.

^^^^
I suspect that's true but they don't break it down and tell us investment percentages. Also, it's managed by a company subsidiary (a bunch of MBA's) and the company pays for almost all fund management cost. It all helps with my rate of return! Just another remaining post employment perk.

Last edited:
Marcus $100 bonus on $10k new money for 3 mos hit my account!! I had basically moved the money out and back in to qualify but I was pretty sure I had missed out on the bonus. FYI they are paying 4.15 APR and they still have 3 mo 1% referral bonus. I think you can also stack the AARP .1% for 24 mos.

Anybody need a referral?

https://themoneyninja.com/marcus-100-savings-bonus/

Anyway, I've been in this 401k for over 40 years and never lost a dime. Some years have been pretty lean but I've always made money.
How is that even possible?
Oh it's very possible.

They pay on a quarterly basis and I was always heavily invested in pretty conservative and/or exclusively fixed income investments. The last 20 years it's been 100% in fixed income. Some quarters it wasn't a lot but it was always positive. The last several quarters have been record payments for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom