Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2023 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume that spills over to Apple Savings? Still at 4.15% - we’ll see.

Last edited:
Just an observation, since last weeks .25% Fed increase I haven't noticed any brick and mortar or online banks increase their rates (at least here in CA) yet. I had a $100k CD at a local bank come due the other day and all they offered was 4.60% so I took my money and ran. Around here 5% seems to be the norm and unfortunately it's holding steady.

Feds might still be raising rates but that certainly doesn't mean banks are following like they were several months ago. At this point I'm more interested in longer terms than the rate itself anyway.

I'm in the same boat. I've got a chunk of money I've kept on the sidelines just waiting to see if we get one more little boost in CD rates. At this point, even though the Fed did the .25% bump, I'm thinking if everyone is expecting it to be the last one for a while, the banks may not be following suit.

SWVXX creeped up to 5.2% today.

This post made me look at SNAXX 5.35% today. All I can say for these 2 MMs is WOW!
Makes it tough to decided what to do as my CD's mature. Buy more CD's and lock in the rates or add to these MM's and get a great return and the liquidity.:confused: Since I can't decide, I'm doing a little of both.

Last edited:
I bought a Sallie Mae 12 month CD at 5.5 percent but any other cash that appears will go into treasuries or hang out in the MM accounts. Property taxes for the rentals starting next month...

Makes it tough to decided what to do as my CD's mature. Buy more CD's and lock in the rates or add to these MM's and get a great return and the liquidity.:confused: Since I can't decide, I'm doing a little of both.

That's what I am doing. But I sure would like to see long term treasuries go to 5%, then I will load up on those.

I went for duration and bought a 30 month CD today with a YTM of 4.960%. First Foundation Bank CUSIP: 32026UX27

A little of both sounds like a good compromise but I am thinking more and more about the benefit/compounding ability of earnings on these "daily" accruers/monthly payers. If I'm able to reinvest my monthly payouts right back into the securities, I'm keeping those soldiers working for me even harder via the compounding. Merrill has PVOXX at 5.40% today.

My math for annualized interest on the 6-month T-bill bought yesterday indicates 5.323% - state tax free. The combination of locking the interest for 6-mo and not paying about 9% state tax keeps me in T-bills. Have to start thinking longer maturities soon.

The bank has reduced the rewards (I think from 2% down to 1.50% or even 1.25%). Greater regulation and lower interchange fees have been squeezing those margins for years, but the most annoying part has been their fraud-alert and cancellation policy.

I've had the card since 1984 (nearly 40 years) but in the last few years it's been canceled twice and a replacement's been mailed out. The annoying part was that both times we were on slow travel-- and had sent in a travel notification-- and they mailed the replacement card to our home address. Then I'd have to call them and point out that we were having our mail held and wouldn't pick it up for another two months, so please mail the card to our location.

I'm simplifying my life to our Costco Citi Visa (and its rewards) with a NFCU Amex as a backup.

Not so much:
https://www.spglobal.com/marketinte...verses-amid-recent-regulatory-tumult-74176131

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/202...s-in-100-years-blames-inflation-weak-markets/

another long time USAA customer here for over 40 years. Their credit card rewards offerings aren't competitive. We used to use USAA for our go to card for most expenses but 1.5% cash back was the best they offered us. I looked online and even called and asked if they had anything better like 2% but they didn't so we opened a Fidelity 2% cash back card. We now use the Fidelity card for almost all expenses. We still have the USAA cards which we use occasionally and for backup. We had the same problem with receiving new cards due to potential fraud. It also happened to us on the first day of a European vacation, luckily we had another card to use on the trip.

BayFirst National Bank (FL) Offers 6.01% APY On 14-Month CD

Sharing from depositaccounts.com

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/bayfirst-national-bank/offers/

Deal Summary: CD Specials - 14-month (6.01% APY) and 8-month (5.75% APY), $1k minimum opening deposit, new money, available through 8/31/2023.
Availability: Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, and Sarasota Counties, Florida

Evergreen Bank Group Boosts Online Savings APY To Rate-Leading Level

Sharing from depositaccounts.com

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/evergreen-bank-group/offers/

Deal Summary: High-Yield Online Savings Account, 5.25% APY on balances up to $1 million, $100 minimum opening deposit.
Availability: Nationwide through online application.

DEXSTA Federal Credit Union Long-Term CDs Have Rate-Leading APYs

Wish I qualified for this one

https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/dexsta-cu/offers/

Deal Summary: Certificates – 24-month (5.64% APY), 36-month (5.90% APY), 48-month (5.64% APY), and 60-month (5.38% APY), $1k minimum deposit.
Availability: Kent County and New Castle County (DE) and Cecil County (MD)

I saw the DEXSTA offer today. I would have been able to qualify when working, but not since I retired. That credit union used to operate out of the building rented from my company, but moved a few years before I retired. There were no deals back then.

We did a couple CD's today @ Fido.

10yr callable 1st 8/2025 at 5.2%
4 yr non callable at 4.75% only a few available then dropped to 4.6%. Got $13k of the 4.75...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom