Best CD, MM Rates & Bank Special Deals Thread 2023 - Please post updates here

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know these Fed governors coming out with various talking points really just confuses the market. They would be better off leaving things to the major pronouncements. The Fed seems to always be talking as it is.

This!!! They used to use Fedspeak which nobody could understand. Now the chairman bends over backwards to be "transparent" but you have a half dozen local governors with their own take.

If I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said

Like Louis Rukeyser used to say “don’t just do something sit there”.

Don’t think that was Louis Rukeyser. Although he was entertaining

Maybe it was Mark Twain or Roy Roger’s.

Don't Just Do Something, Sit There: A Mindfulness Retreat with Sylvia Boorstein
Book by Sylvia Boorstein

Several finance gurus have borrowed the phrase.

I’ve always associated it with the great Jack Bogle

I'm pretty sure my first exposure to that one was the White Rabbit in the old Disney movie Alice in Wonderland.

The Cheshire Cat could have uttered that but you may be right. I can’t be sure

Clearly a case for "don't just do something"

https://www.priorityonecu.org/savings-rates

Super 7 - 12 Months $50,000 7.00% 7.00%
Super 6 - 24 Months $25,000 6.00% 6.00%

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/priority-one-credit-union-7-6-apy-cds/#comment-1592217

Limited time and limited membership.

Membership Eligibility
Los Angeles County postal employees
Riverside and San Bernardino Counties postal employees
Everyone who lives, works, attends school or worships in the Santa Clarita Valley, San Fernando Valley and the City of South Pasadena
General Services Administration (GSA) (a Federal Government Agency) employees
Employees of the Providence Medical Group (St. Joseph Medical Center, Holy Cross Medical Center, Tarzana Medical Center & St. Elizabeth Care Center)
Employees of our many Select Employer Groups that offer membership as an employee benefit

We had a small inheritance land at Vanguard and picked up a JP Morgan Chase CD for 12 months at 5.1%.

This one looked callable starting 7/23

I see they have some callable ones today. I put in the order mid-week ago and it executed today. If it was callable I missed it. Can't find anywhere that it says it was callable. Oh well, if it is, maybe Treasuries will have bounced back up by then.

Taking a break from CD shopping for a few months. I locked in some of that Zion 5.4 % a few weeks ago. Some dry powder left still, but will just check back in a few months, see what's up.

^^^^^^
Looks like you may have caught the peak (5.4%) at this point. There are a lot of brokered CD's available now but the peaks seem to be around 4.9% and they are for shorter terms (up to 18mo). I did see a 5.1% at Schwab yesterday but it sold out very quick.

Fido has a one year 5.1% CD listed from JPMorgan-Chase this morning. Weren’t listed on Schwab that i could find.

Best non-callable 1 yr CDs I’m seeing at Fidelity are at 4.85%

I’m seeing a 1yr JPMorgan at 5.0%, but that’s callable 10/18/23 and 1/18/24.

As I stated a few weeks ago, while I posted all those 5%+ CD deals from 12-60 months, the spreads between CDs and treasury notes were unusually high and they would revert back to their normal 40 basis point spreads. Some banks needed to raise liquidity before the end of quarter so they "stepped in front of the line" to get their CDs sold with higher coupons. If you look at the issue sizes of each CD, they were pretty large. Investors are doing a lot of cash sorting now. They are moving money out of savings and checking accounts that pay next to nothing in interest and are moving to treasury money market funds and CDs. Investors were also selling into the equity market rally and exiting equity and bond funds last week and moving into money market funds. The surge in inflows into treasury MM funds is pulling short term yields down and the flight to safety trade is pulling intermediate and long term yields down. Remember that those bond traders that are locking in low long term yields are not risking their own money but "other peoples money". The market is once again betting that the Fed will cut interest rates starting in June despite all Fed members communicating that there will be no rate cuts in 2023. We will understand better where we are headed as banks start to report next week. The large banks were initial beneficiaries of depositors fleeing small and regional banks but they depositors are also doing their own cash sorting. Things will not stabilize for several months. We have a debt ceiling decision coming up and while there is no doubt that the debt ceiling will be raised, the country cannot continue to run with trillion dollar plus budget deficits. So there is a high probability that there will be another debt downgrade in the near future unless the market sees a serious effort to balance the budget. The probability of that happening is pretty low. A debt downgrade will push treasury yields up and CDs, and corporate bonds will follow.

Do you still suggest to wait a little longer based on this mornings inflation report?

Thanks.

The inflation report this morning doesn't really move the needle towards rate cuts. As Barron's correctly reported this morning: "Pricing Pressures Stay Strong".

"Consumer prices climbed at a 5% annual pace in March, marking a bigger-than-expected slowdown from February as energy costs fell. But growth in core prices, which strips out the volatile food and energy categories, accelerated to a 5.6% annual pace, suggesting that underlying inflationary pressures remain strong."

https://www.barrons.com/articles/march-cpi-inflation-data-report-today-321b72dd?mod=RTA

What banks report starting this Friday will determine what the Fed does next. Nothing else matters at this point. I think the Fed should just pause rate hikes and let the yield curve normalize. This will be better for everyone including savers who can then roll their short CD maturities to higher yielding longer maturities.

CD yields are still okay relative to the past or even 8 months ago but I'm not buying any more at this point. Consider that a MM fund pays you 4.66% these days so you can wait for the next event.

CD yields are still okay relative to the past or even 8 months ago but I'm not buying any more at this point. Consider that a MM fund pays you 4.66% these days so you can wait for the next event.
I've got a couple more CD's maturing today and tomorrow... I think I have one more maturing in May and a few during the summer. All the others are further out. I'm parking the maturing CD funds in SWVXX @ 4.69%, at least until the next fed meeting in early May. Hope that rate holds for a while.

The CPI increase since June is under 2.5%.

Real world rents are declining but the CPI has them rising, and with that accounting for 33% of CPI, we will see even lower rates heading into the fall.

Treasury yields have all declined modestly this am.

I've got a couple more CD's maturing today and tomorrow... I think I have one more maturing in May and a few during the summer. All the others are further out. I'm parking the maturing CD funds in SWVXX @ 4.69%, at least until the next fed meeting in early May. Hope that rate holds for a while.

I'm in a similar position except I lean more towards 3 month C. D.'s. They are insured. SWVXX is not. My cash is in SNSXX. It is not paying as much as SWVXX but it has 100% daily liquid assets compared to 45% for SWVXX. There is a reason M.M.'s are not insured..

Marcus Bank sent me an offer for a 10 month 5% CD.

It's not something I will use at this time but others might find it useful.

I'm in a similar position except I lean more towards 3 month C. D.'s. They are insured. SWVXX is not. My cash is in SNSXX. It is not paying as much as SWVXX but it has 100% daily liquid assets compared to 45% for SWVXX. There is a reason M.M.'s are not insured..
I'm really not worried about SWVXX "viability" and I'm only parking a few 100k so no big deal. I've looked at what they invest in and feel pretty comfortable but I do keep my eye on things and am prepared to move quickly if needed.

I bought a few of the 5.05 percent Marcus CD's. I refer to depositaccounts.com as a resource for these and only use the banks I trust. I have had a cash account with Marcus for several years, easy to work with their website and no hiccups.

Just curious...are there others like me that have a ladder of CD's and when one CD matures, I usually just reinvest it at the best 3-5 year rate I can get at the time?

I don't want to manage my CD's as often as some of you that post here do....every 9-18 months....too much work for me. If I lose a percent return here or there, it's not the end of the world for me. The other thing is that if I'm able to lock in a 5 year rate of 4.4% (like I did today), sometimes that actually pays off when rates drop. I know...it's a little bit of a crap shoot but that's how I've been buying CD's over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom