Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

Third Federal S&L (Cleveland OH) has a 30 day rolling CD that currently pays 1.85%. It’s FDIC insured and no eligibility restrictions. I think it’s $500 min.

They have 12 mo IRA CD @ 2.00 %

Opened a 5 yr 3% GTE add-on CD with a $500 deposit yesterday. Did it online, super easy. They waived the joining fee with CU Savers and also let me use my credit card to fund the account. So now I also get some credit card points to boot. Sweet!

Thanks to whoever posted about this add-on CD. So nice to know I have locked in a rate and can add $ whenever my other CD's expire.

I opened a four year CD with GTE with $500 as a place holder for money maturing in December. I opened a 5 year 3.5% a couple of weeks ago at NFCU, where we have several other shorter term CD's. The only rung I have not yet filled on our 5 year ladder is the 2 year, which I'll have to deal with next February, with maturing money. All Cd's other than next Feb's CD are now yielding 3% or over. Starting next June we will then be rolling over to the best 5 year available. I dearly hope that rates stabilize somewhat so that I don't have to ruin the 5 year ladder, that we've worked so hard to construct.

Opened a 5 yr 3% GTE add-on CD with a $500 deposit yesterday. Did it online, super easy. They waived the joining fee with CU Savers and also let me use my credit card to fund the account. So now I also get some credit card points to boot. Sweet!

Thanks to whoever posted about this add-on CD. So nice to know I have locked in a rate and can add $ whenever my other CD's expire.

Using your credit card to fund the account may be considered a cash advance, which means that interest may accrue immediately. You might want to double check that you’re not paying interest.

Using your credit card to fund the account may be considered a cash advance, which means that interest may accrue immediately. You might want to double check that you’re not paying interest.

I have done that twice and it never did.

Thanks for the heads up. I contacted GTE and they said it isn't done as a cash advance, it will look like a purchase. It's listed as pending on my credit card as a purchase. I will keep an eye on it to confirm, though. That would totally defeat the purpose!

Thanks for the heads up. I contacted GTE and they said it isn't done as a cash advance, it will look like a purchase. It's listed as pending on my credit card as a purchase. I will keep an eye on it to confirm, though. That would totally defeat the purpose!

This happened to me many years ago when I opened my PenFed account. I used a credit card to fund the account since it was easy and then was surprised interest accrued when I received the monthly statement. Fortunately, it was a small amount, so no big deal. I definitely pay more attention now.

On another note, it occurred to me that if you can fund it as a purchase, then you could charge 5k and then transfer the balance using a 0% balance transfer to another card. You pay back the money and keep the earned interest.

I’ve thought about doing this in the past, but always assumed interest starts accruing immediately.

It started a out bit rocky moving to Navy Federal but they made things right even going over and beyond, giving us better certificate rates on other funds we moved that they didn't have to and I didn't even ask for the better rates. Have to say very refreshing compared to dealing with Vanguard and our local banks. It's also extremely nice getting to talk to an actual human quickly!

It started a out bit rocky moving to Navy Federal but they made things right even going over and beyond, giving us better certificate rates on other funds we moved that they didn't have to and I didn't even ask for the better rates. Have to say very refreshing compared to dealing with Vanguard and our local banks. It's also extremely nice getting to talk to an actual human quickly!

Wow. Can you give us some detail on what the better rates are? Was it due to an acknowledged initial sub par service?

Yes. They are very responsive. They even gave me the 3.5% even though my check arrived late (I did complain nicely). One goofy thing they're doing now is they put a 5 day hold on the check coming from my IRA. Can't imagine why but don't want to complain again.

Late afternoon on the 19th, Vanguard completed the verification of my NFCU checking account, and I initiated a sell of MM funds to be sent to NFCU checking.

The money showed up in my NFCU account this morning showing as "available", so I immediately put the money into a couple 18 month 3% certificates. Very happy I made it in time.

We got great service from Navy Federal. We set up an IRA account and got it funded with a transfer check, which they told us in advice would be on hold for 5 days. They also told us that the rumor was the 3.5% 5 year certificate would be ending that week. We called them as soon as we saw the funds in our account and they put a note on our account to honor the rate when the 5 day hold was up. We are very happy to have gotten in on this deal.

Yes. They are very responsive. They even gave me the 3.5% even though my check arrived late (I did complain nicely). One goofy thing they're doing now is they put a 5 day hold on the check coming from my IRA. Can't imagine why but don't want to complain again.

+1 here.... got the 3.5% after complaining nicely.... 5 day hold is really odd but they will start interest on the day of deposit rather than after 5 day hold so whatever makes them happy.

Just off the phone with GTE this afternoon - decided that $500 to setup an add-on account for a 60 month 3% cert was cheap insurance. Was told the $10 CU Club joining wrinkle good for us wrong-coast non-Tampa people is charged, then immediately refunded, so the total draw from my credit card was $505.

Was told rates are due to drop at GTE on Monday - so them that wants to lock in the possibility of a 60 month 3% CD from $500 to no upper limit best be on the phone tomorrow. It does take a hard pull on your credit report and a copy of your driver's license being emailed to them, but otherwise pretty painless.

Getting money out? $1000 daily limit on ACH pushes. $25 wire fee out.

May not add any more to this CD, opting for dry powder and a 2% Discover savings account, but having the 3% option is worth it - to me. Thanks to Simple Girl and others for the heads up.

Just off the phone with GTE this afternoon - decided that $500 to setup an add-on account for a 60 month 3% cert was cheap insurance. Was told the $10 CU Club joining wrinkle good for us wrong-coast non-Tampa people is charged, then immediately refunded, so the total draw from my credit card was $505.

Was told rates are due to drop at GTE on Monday - so them that wants to lock in the possibility of a 60 month 3% CD from $500 to no upper limit best be on the phone tomorrow. It does take a hard pull on your credit report and a copy of your driver's license being emailed to them, but otherwise pretty painless.

Getting money out? $1000 daily limit on ACH pushes. $25 wire fee out.

May not add any more to this CD, opting for dry powder and a 2% Discover savings account, but having the 3% option is worth it - to me. Thanks to Simple Girl and others for the heads up.

Just one minor point. GTE charges fees for many situations.
One to be aware of is to set up your statements electronically, as the mailed version will cost you monthly.

+1 here.... got the 3.5% after complaining nicely.... 5 day hold is really odd but they will start interest on the day of deposit rather than after 5 day hold so whatever makes them happy.
All banks and CUs have fund availability policies. This is normal.

So it's confirmed - the withdrawal on my credit card is listed as a "sale", just like all of my other purchases. Nothing about a cash advance listed anywhere.

So it's confirmed - the withdrawal on my credit card is listed as a "sale", just like all of my other purchases. Nothing about a cash advance listed anywhere.

Good to read - I got online with Chase this morning and transferred $505 to the credit card I used to open GTE just to be sure and minimize any gotcha fees/interest. Used the card I did as a way to work toward meeting a minimum spend on the card bonus, which may or may not work. Be nifty if it does work - meeting a $5000 spend requirement takes a little scheduling and scrambling: Lessee - annual fire insurance down south, 6 months car insurance, two months autopaid water & power on four rental buildings - still about $1300 short of the spend, so this $505 would be handy.

Yesterday we took out a 18 mo CD at Vibrant Credit Union (Davenport/Moline area) at 2.5%. I asked when the rate for new CDs would change as I anticipate it dropping in our area.....they said when "they" tell us to change it. Seemed odd that they didn't change or update as of a Monday, Tuesday, etc on a regular basis.

I spent the morning before calling local banks and credit unions to get the current rates. 2.5% was the best I could find to add another CD to our CD ladder. Kicking myself for not locking in more money a year or even six months ago. We do have a good one that locked in an increase every six months on a 24 month one. Should have put A LOT more into that at the time.

Rats - I hope those of you who were able to nail down that 3.5% CD at NFCU are thankful; I think I just missed it. But - I did capitalize on 18-month 3% and 5-year 3.25% CDs there. After some looking around, those rates looked pretty good to me. I also recently opened a 2.52% yield savings account to hold some liquid assets while I wait for better rates soon.

Rats - I hope those of you who were able to nail down that 3.5% CD at NFCU are thankful; I think I just missed it.

The last day NFCU had the 3.5% for 5 years offered online was Aug 18th.

As we start another week, the 3% for 18 mo. is still available.

GTE lowered their 5 year to 2.3% today from 3.0% with no jumbo extra yield available either.
Hope everyone got through on their applications.

I didn't open an account here or verify it in anyway so can't vouch for it, but this credit union with field of membership some counties in ID, OR, WA, is advertising some good rates:

P1FCU

6 Months 2.00% 2.00% 2.00%
12 Months 2.55% 2.55% 2.55%
18 Months 2.65% 2.65% 2.65%
24 Months 2.75% 2.75% 2.75%
36 Months 3.15% 3.15% 3.15%
48 Months 3.25% 3.25% 3.25%
60 Months 3.35% 3.35% 3.35%

Back
Top Bottom