Best CD & MM Rates Thread 2019 - Please post updates here

Agree, we are long over due. And the fed will have no ammo, as they cut rates with the market at all time highs, and full employment.
Should be interesting.....

Navy Federal Credit Union still has the 5-year CD at 3.25%. ;)

But that's down from 3.5% that it had been a few pages back during the discussion. I rushed getting registered and money transferred but missed out on the 3.5%. However, the 3.0% 18 month was still available, and surprisingly, it's still available.

But that's down from 3.5% that it had been a few pages back during the discussion. I rushed getting registered and money transferred but missed out on the 3.5%. However, the 3.0% 18 month was still available, and surprisingly, it's still available.

Yes, you're right, GenXguy - I saw the 3.5% offer rather late and thought about it, but I missed out on it as well. However - I'm happy I did get in on the 3.25% rate given the alternatives. And - I saw lower rates being noted here so I thought I'd remind others of the 3.25%.

Penfed is advertising 1.8% on savings account, that is the same as a 12 month certificate. FWIW

Penfed is advertising 1.8% on savings account, that is the same as a 12 month certificate. FWIW

Yes, it’s the Premium Online Savings and the rate recently dropped from 2.0%. I’m not sure why it’s called that except maybe to attract deposits that might otherwise go to the online-only banks. I’ve been very happy with this account.

Agree, we are long over due. And the fed will have no ammo, as they cut rates with the market at all time highs, and full employment.
Should be interesting.....

All bull markets end badly. The question is when. I've seen tons of predictions from the 'experts' about the end of the bull market since Nov 2016, when SPX was about 2010. It is now 3020. So I would have lost out on a 50% gain had I listened to them.

p.s. the typical time between yield curve inversion and market peak is about 18 months. In the 2008/9 "great" recession, the yield curve inverted December 2005. My portfolio didn't peak until May 2008, 26+% higher than when the curve inverted.

Agree there is no predicting it. Just that its inevitable. "The average recession lasted 22 months, and the average expansion 27. From 1919 to 1945, there were six cycles; recessions lasted an average 18 months and expansions for 35. From 1945 to 2001, and 10 cycles, recessions lasted an average 10 months and expansions an average of 57 months." We are 120 months into this run. (If you believe it actually ended in 2009)...

So if this expansion has lasted 5 times average, does that mean the next recession will last 5 times average?

Reviews of Customers are generally pretty poor.
I am currently a Customer's client with the Assent account. No issues. Have both added to and taken out cash. No issues. Also, pull interest monthly. Smooth as Marcus or Ally.

Just a little update on my experience with Vanguard and Navy Federal. All transactions were made on-line with no phone calls or customer service interaction.

1) Placed a request with Vanguard asking them to create a link to my NFCU Checking account early AM Monday 9-16-2019. (NFCU does not allow bidirectional transfers on Savings/Share accounts)

2) Next day Tuesday 9-17-2019, PM micro deposits where already in my NFCU Checking Account. I provided the feedback to Vanguard same day.

3) Thursday 9-19-2019 Vanguard acknowledged successful transactions and link was put in "Pending Verification" mode.

4) Monday 9-23-2019 AM (Happened to be when I checked) Link to NFCU was verified and approved for ACH Transfers. At the same time I initiated an ACH Transfer of $150k to NFCU from Vanguards.

5) Tuesday 9-24-2019 Lunchtime, I got an email from VG stating the transfer was complete. I logged into NFCU and opened an 18month CD at 3%. It was created immediately and marked as pending.

6) Wednesday 9-25-2019 Certificate was no longer marked Pending and was all good.

I think that is pretty good service.

Just a little update on my experience with Vanguard and Navy Federal. All transactions were made on-line with no phone calls or customer service interaction.

1) Placed a request with Vanguard asking them to create a link to my NFCU Checking account early AM Monday 9-16-2019. (NFCU does not allow bidirectional transfers on Savings/Share accounts)

2) Next day Tuesday 9-17-2019, PM micro deposits where already in my NFCU Checking Account. I provided the feedback to Vanguard same day.

3) Thursday 9-19-2019 Vanguard acknowledged successful transactions and link was put in "Pending Verification" mode.

4) Monday 9-23-2019 AM (Happened to be when I checked) Link to NFCU was verified and approved for ACH Transfers. At the same time I initiated an ACH Transfer of $150k to NFCU from Vanguards.

5) Tuesday 9-24-2019 Lunchtime, I got an email from VG stating the transfer was complete. I logged into NFCU and opened an 18month CD at 3%. It was created immediately and marked as pending.

6) Wednesday 9-25-2019 Certificate was no longer marked Pending and was all good.

I think that is pretty good service.

That's the same process I went through. It took 9 business days from starting to add NFCU to my Vanguard account until the money showed up at NFCU. It probably would have been 8 business days, but I didn't sell the VG Prime MM funds to transfer to NFCU until too late in the day.

I was worried I would miss the 3% deal, but I completed the purchase of the NFCU certificate on Aug 22, and it's still available now over a month later.

^^^^ Were these both taxable accounts?

Mine was, I do not think you can do ACH transfers from IRAs etc., at least I have never been allowed to. Always had to be mailed check, at least for the last few I have done.

Last edited:
NFCU dropped their rates again today. Good thing that I drove to the Gulfport branch on Saturday to deposit some cash and open another 3,20 for five years. Now a five year is 3.0%

NFCU dropped their rates again today. Good thing that I drove to the Gulfport branch on Saturday to deposit some cash and open another 3,20 for five years. Now a five year is 3.0%

The NFCU 18 month dropped to 2.6%. I'm glad I got a big chunk of dough into an 18 month 3% CD well in advance. It took them a lot longer to lower it than I expected.

The NFCU 18 month dropped to 2.6%. I'm glad I got a big chunk of dough into an 18 month 3% CD well in advance. It took them a lot longer to lower it than I expected.

With the exception of the easy start all of their rates dropped.

Back
Top Bottom