best day in year to pull the plug?

Megacorp was pretty good about apportioning all the benefits so that leaving one day or another had little effect on the bottom line other than total time on the j*b. When I left, it happened to come out "even" (an end of a month) but that's not what I planned. I found out late on a Friday that my assignment had changed from one of my own choosing (and making) to one I couldn't stand. The next week I gave my notice (including accrued vacation). I could have cared less about the other ramifications of the dates. I just wanted OUT and I mean right now! There were a number of open mouths in the office that day. YMMV

As usual, I agree withW2R.
I waited unti my annual bonus check hit my account, then pulled the plug.
Decided that I had enough and I'd had enough, so was the perfect time to go.

Reactions: W2R
I pulled the plug as of April 1. That way, if I decided it was a colossal mistake, I could go back and say, "It was a joke. Did you think I was serious?"

-BB

As mentioned study your MC compensation rules, especially outside of regular salary.

With my MC, there were specific rules around vesting of the 401k match. It was done quarterly, and you had to be employed on the last day of the quarter to receive the match. Bonuses and annual profit share also paid in February. HSA contribution (from the MC) for the year in January.

Essentially added up to close to 50% of annual comp getting loaded in 3 months. For my MC, benefits ended on midnight the last day of employment, not end of that month. But the full month's vacation accrual loaded on Day1.

So my plan was to amp up my contributions to my 401k to put in the max annual allowable from Jan-March, receive above bene's, and turn in my notice on 4/1.

(As it turned out I ended up getting all the above, and a RIF with a package for staying till June 10.)

Back
Top Bottom