Best Fast Food Burgers & Fries

Whataburger! I have had most of the others, and there is no comparison. I tried In and OUt and can't figure out why it is so popular.

Whataburger! I have had most of the others, and there is no comparison. I tried In and OUt and can't figure out why it is so popular.
I like In-N-Out's hamburgers. I like their fries as well. It's just a matter of taste . But the closest In- N-Out to me now is 150 miles north or south. There is no right or wrong . Some like McDonalds or Burger King. I never have. The closest place to me that I prefer is Wendy's.

I think the price is reasonable for what In-N-Out offers. The menu is very simple.

Last edited:
I’m going to Five Guys tomorrow, it’s been a while...

I like Smashburger for the hamburger and Five Guys for the cajun fries. I need to combine them, maybe a five smash guys burger and fries.

Need to try Steak N Shake, Shake Shak, Rally's, mooyah and whataburger. Sounds like I am missing out.

When In and Out came to my area the hub bub was crazy, when I finally went and gave it a try, I found their burgers similar to a McDonalds hamburger?? And their fries under cooked.....not worth all the hub bub.

It depends on the people cooking your food. We have 2 Red Robin’s. One is great and one is horrible.

It depends on the people cooking your food. We have 2 Red Robin’s. One is great and one is horrible.

Even at the same restaurant. I've had both great burgers and super bland burgers there. Never know quite what you are going to get.

I've had great hamburgers at restaurants in the past, as in decades ago, (Shoney's was one of the good ones) but since then I have given up. Everywhere I get a hamburger and fries nowadays (non fast food chain) , they want at least $10 (ripoff) and the burger is always well done, but luke warm, no matter how rare you order it. Maybe I'm just going to the wrong places. On the other hand, there are some awesome sub sandwich places near me !!

Has anyone mentioned White Castle? They were in northeast NJ at one time. People were obsessed with their small burgers, bought by the bagful. I had a few of them, never noticed what was so terrific about them, though.

White Castle burgers are a different creature than all the rest. Steam table minis that are an acquired taste. I think you pick it up in high school or you never get there. If, like me, you do like them for some reason then the frozen version are excellent. Especially the cheese burgers. Throw them in the microwave, close your eyes, and they could have come right off the commercial steam table.

For those living in Texas, In-N-Out has a bunch of locations between Dallas/Fort Worth area and San Antonio.

It was interesting to watch the activity surrounding the opening of the first In-N-Out in San Antonio a couple of years ago. It is on our route into town and traffic around the place was a nightmare for the first two or three weeks. Then all the excitement abated and there are now fewer cars in their lot and drive through than I see at the Whataburger a few blocks away.

I think In-N-Out makes good burgers-n-fries but Whataburger's are better. And I'm not alone in my opinion...

...summer before last, Texas Monthly administered a carefully controlled blind taste test in which Whataburger faced off against four worthy competitors, including recent California transplant In-N-Out Burger. Spoiler alert: Whataburger won. And it wasn’t even close. From the eleven impartial judges, Whataburger earned 46 out of a possible 55 points and five first-place votes. In-N-Out came in next to last with nineteen out fifty-five points and five last place votes.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/fast-food-faceoff-n-vs-whataburger/

BTW, I know most people mention fries as their option, but DW and I like onion rings better than fries...

Whataburger has some good onion rings... most of the time... as other have mentioned about other places, sometimes they are soggy and I have also had them overcooked a few times...

Has anyone mentioned White Castle? They were in northeast NJ at one time. People were obsessed with their small burgers, bought by the bagful. I had a few of them, never noticed what was so terrific about them, though.
From post #1 on...

We went to Shake Shack during our first trip to NYC... it definitely lived up to the hype! Now there's one within 50 miles of me... haven't gone there yet but will soon.

Bigots? Look in the mirror.

Do you have any idea how many employees have been sent through college by Truett Cathy personally and also his company? He was a man of the utmost integrity, and quite a philanthropist in the South Atlanta area.

The reason they are consistent and efficient is because they simply have higher quality people working for them. And I understand after they finally went into New York City, you can barely even get in the door of their locations.

Do I eat there? No. I can spend $12 and still come out hungry. But it's good.

Thanks Bamaman.

You said (more eloquently) what I was thinking. My response would have gotten me perp-walked off the thread. I hate when that happens. :mad:

Here's my favorites:

Five Guys
BurgerFi
Steak ‘n Shake
Culver’s

I have had many of these in my misspent youth, but they are off the list forever :)

McDonalds
Burger King
Sonic
Dairy Queen
Rally’s
White Castle

I have never tried these:

In-n-Out
Shake Shack

'scuse me. It's pronounced White Casket. They're only good when you're young and drunk. :LOL:

When in the Bay area...

Vals Burgers is a full service sit down restaurant, but are well know as one of the best - :)

OMG White Castle? There is one near the train station in my neighborhood. Shortly after I first moved here, I stopped off there on the way home from work. Worst burgers ever! BLECH! Never went to a White Castle anywhere again!

White Castle burgers include lots of cooked onion pieces. Some people like that, some don't.

When in NM or AZ (or El Paso), Blakes Lotaburger has the great green chili cheeseburgers

When I was a kid in Brooklyn, the nearest White Castle was out on Long Island in Nassau County. Once in a while we made a family car trip out there just to get a sackful of them, and I seem to recall that they were 12¢ each (maybe less). It was quite a big deal for me in my single digit years, and I still like them today.

White Castle is in a league all by itself. Like comparing apples and oranges.

Which league? :LOL: My wife is a White Castle fan. When we were dating, we went to a Krystal, and I had a near death experience :( Yeah, my wife tells me that White Castle and Krystal are not the same. I got sick several hours after we ate, and was sick for 5 days.

Back
Top Bottom