Best financial sites....

FWIW most people on this forum who does investing based on asset-allocation and indexing don't follow financial news because the financial news add no value to your investment decisions.

+8

No investing advice, just a clear view of the financial marketplace and events that might be shaping it: https://wolfstreet.com/

Interesting commentary on what is happening in politics as it relates to the economy/ finances-in one man's opinion. Again, no advice.

Both of these "watch" the bubbles and give opinions. A couple of very smart men.

I like the WSJ & Bloomberg. Also Fidelity's website is good for researching specific investments.

FWIW most people on this forum who does investing based on asset-allocation and indexing don't follow financial news because the financial news add no value to your investment decisions.
So the markets drop 25% tomorrow & you're not going to use that info to correct your asset-allocation choice?

I like Seeking Alpha. I'll read the articles on stocks in my portfolio and often the comments are more enlightening than the article.

Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
So the markets drop 25% tomorrow & you're not going to use that info to correct your asset-allocation choice?

I wouldn't. What is the media going to tell me that would make me change my AA? My AA is my AA. I may change it over time, based on age or maybe just figuring if my portfolio grew a lot, I could either decide I don't need to take any risk (already "won the game"), or that I could take a lot of risk (plenty of cushion). Either view is valid, IMO - it's just a personal choice.

But change AA on market conditions and "news". No, I can't see any reason to. In fact, just the opposite. I pick an AA I am comfortable with so that I don't change anything based on the market or "news".

What would you do? Sell on the drop? :facepalm:

-ERD50

If a market movement forces you to want to change your asset allocation, you had the wrong asset allocation for you in the first place. This question indicates that you don’t really get the investing philosophy that sticks to an allocation. Many would balance withinheir allocation on a market drop, but shifting your allocation is no different than attempting to time the market, selling into a drop.

I think an AA has to be continuously considered at least yearly. So in the Boglehead world you do your ISP and it calls for some AA and maybe some actions (change as you age). Then that becomes a stone tablet? Well maybe not but some people think that.

But were you so brilliant as to understand your total risk tolerance, the market history, etc when you set up your ISP? The market evolves and even investment instruments evolve. Examples are TIPS becoming available in the last 20 years and before that index fund proliferation. And we evolve in our thinking. I know I am a different investor then I was even 10 years ago.

Maybe, but not because of asset allocation numbers. There is no point in responding that fast. I would let things settle for a few months before making any decisions. Our regular look at AA is during the last week of the year.

There is an old piece of pilot advice on what to do in an emergency: "Wind the clock." The wisdom behind this is that if there is no time to wind the clock, then there is nothing to be done about the emergency anyway. Further, that winding the clock gives the pilot time to think things through before deciding what to do.

If I do something after a big drop, it will be to buy equities while they are on sale, regardless of AA. In fact I might temporarily alter my AA for this reason.

But generally, the financial press is a don't-care for me. Just a bunch of chattering monkeys, a few of which will be right but which few is impossible to know. The Economist a great read and keeps me up to date with the financial markets. A recent issue's cover story and theme: "The Bull Market in Everything" was excellent reading.

I think an AA has to be continuously considered at least yearly. So in the Boglehead world you do your ISP and it calls for some AA and maybe some actions (change as you age). Then that becomes a stone tablet? Well maybe not but some people think that.

But were you so brilliant as to understand your total risk tolerance, the market history, etc when you set up your ISP? The market evolves and even investment instruments evolve. Examples are TIPS becoming available in the last 20 years and before that index fund proliferation. And we evolve in our thinking. I know I am a different investor then I was even 10 years ago.

It’s not a stone tablet, but your AA shouldnt change based on market conditions if you’re doing Bogleheads strategy. It changes based on personal need, age, risk tolerance, etc. not because the market is up or down. That defeats the purpose.

I like the WSJ & Bloomberg. Also Fidelity's website is good for researching specific investments.

It's like asking the best pizza or best ice cream. There are many good choices but it really depends on what kind of investor you are. I like Bloomberg app and radio because they do long in depth coverage and the weekend programming is good too. They just removed Bloomberg TV from our cable package.

Back
Top Bottom