Best index to buy in small TD Ameritrade account?

RunningBum

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm looking for the best options (no buy commission and low expense fees) for a small TD Ameritrade account (not mine, about $5000) for a total or S&P 500 index fund or ETF. $1000 or so is deposited each year and I don't want a commission charge each time.

I'm kind of getting bogged down trying to navigate their site to find which ones meet this criteria. It seems that the commission free funds have fairly high fees. Just starting to look at ETFs but thought I'd check to see if someone else has done the work and I can just verify. I know TDA is being bought out by Schwab but I don't know how quickly that will happen.

So, what is a good total/S&P 500 index fund or ETF at Ameritrade?

VTI is the Vanguard Total US Stock Market Index. There are others such as ITOT. TDAmeritrade does not charges commissions on ETF trades. Add SPTM to those, too.

If you want to buy a mutual fund, then you are out of luck if you want "good" and "no commission."

One can type "no commission" into the search box after logging into one's TDAmeritrade online account and read what is no commission.

So:
VTI
ITOT
SPTM

Last edited:
VTI is the Vanguard Total US Stock Market Index. There are others such as ITOT. TDAmeritrade does not charges commissions on ETF trades. Add SPTM to those, too.

If you want to buy a mutual fund, then you are out of luck if you want "good" and "no commission."

One can type "no commission" into the search box after logging into one's TDAmeritrade online account and read what is no commission.

So:
VTI
ITOT
SPTM
Great, thanks. For some reason I googled for commission free ETFs at TDA and got a list of families, and VG wasn't part of it. Perhaps that was an old list before TDA went with $0 commissions on trades? It does look like it will be commission free so this is perfect. She doesn't want to buy in right now but when we do I'll go with VTI or similar.

Thanks again.

Since ETFs must be purchased (at TDAmertrade) in an integral number of shares, one may buy VTI and have $72 or so leftover. With the leftover money, one can then buy SPTM. There is not much reason not to end up owning similar ETFs (or even different) if one doesn't want to have any cash left in such an account. That is, one can almost always find something to buy 1 or 2 shares of in order to use up the leftover cash.

I'd call Schwab and move the account now.

Back
Top Bottom