Best places...

This is a trick question, right? We don't even need to look beyond the title.

I like the other Market Watch article: ten ways husbands can help their wives survive widowhood. The first way? Work longer.

Best places...
From your Texas Defamation League list, I would've thought that your specialty was WORST places!

I thought Robert Powell was actually making a serious attempt at [-]deadline[/-] journalistic research until I noticed that Harrisburg, San Antonio, Tampa, Sacramento, and Minneapolis were on the list... it's almost as though they were making their list from certain discussion bords.

Oxymoron warning!

"One reason is that widowhood creates economic hardship, as Social Security benefits and pensions from employer-sponsored plans drop," the report says. "In addition, those most likely to be widowed have lower incomes than intact couples even before they lose their husbands. Their lower incomes reflect less education on the part of both the husband and wife and poorer health on the part of the husband than couples that remain intact."

Where do they get a stupid statement like the fact that those most likely to be widowed have lower incomes ? Are they saying rich people don't die or if you are smart you will not get Cancer ??

"In addition, those most likely to be widowed have lower incomes than intact couples even before they lose their husbands. Their lower incomes reflect less education on the part of both the husband and wife and poorer health on the part of the husband than couples that remain intact."

Where do they get a stupid statement like the fact that those most likely to be widowed have lower incomes ? Are they saying rich people don't die or if you are smart you will not get Cancer ??

Is it possible that lower income people are less likely to have health insurance (41 million+ uninsured) and as a result if they get cancer/heart disease/diabetes,etc., will not get comprehensive treatment for it? Those poor enough to be on medicaid (very poor) can get such treatments, but those who are in the middle and uninsured cannot get chemo or therapeutic treatment such as stents, dialysis, etc... by going to the emergency room.

Is it possible that lower income people are less likely to have health insurance (41 million+ uninsured) and as a result if they get cancer/heart disease/diabetes,etc., will not get comprehensive treatment for it? Those poor enough to be on medicaid (very poor) can get such treatments, but those who are in the middle and uninsured cannot get chemo or therapeutic treatment such as stents, dialysis, etc... by going to the emergency room.

I see your point .I guess I just happen to know a lot of wealthier widows.

Pensions, SS, life insurance, 401(k) benefits, home equity, etc., can all add up pretty fast to make a nice pile of $$$. I would think age is more a factor in wealthy vs poor widows. It takes most folks decades to accumulate "wealth" so someone widowed early in life would usually be less well off than one widowed later in life. I would expect the general income levels of widows to more or less follow wealth (not income) levels of others in their same age group. I think we need to understand the significant difference between income and wealth (net worth) in these groups.

BTW, Moemg, I also know a lot of wealth widows; most are 60+ years old and the younger ones are far less well off. Income would seem to be more important than net worth at a younger age since liquidation of net worth (which would be expected to be relatively low) at an early age would not produce much income for long before it was exhausted.

Back
Top Bottom