Getting around Dublin?

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DD is surprising my 9 yr old granddaughter with tickets to see Taylor Swift, in Dublin, end of June. DW and I are accompanying them (not to the concert!). All of us are spending 4 days in total. We already have some plans in place for those days. Can anyone clue me in on best ways to get around town? Bus, subway, Uber? Any sort of transit passes available?
The fine members here are so much better for information than Google, so I'm starting here!
ETA: Any safety concerns we should be aware of?

Last edited:
We walked everywhere while there. Tour Jameson, have a few snorts, walk to Guinness, have a glass, and so on.

Where are you staying?

Been there several times and headed back in March. We mostly walked to sites but caught a cab when folks got tired. Rates are reasonable and cabbies are very friendly. I don't think they allow Uber in Ireland, if I remember correctly. Forgot to add--no safety concerns at any time.

We are visiting in a few months. There is no Uber. We will have a rental car to explore around the country, but plan to turn it in for the final days of the trip while we are in Dublin, and walk or use taxis.

There’s a great bus system. They don’t run on time but they run. Google maps will tell you which busses to take, but times will be random. Theres also a DART train that goes to the north and south suburbs.

That sounds like a wonderful surprise for your granddaughter! Will you make friendship bracelets on the plane?

We stayed 4 nights in Dublin 2 months ago. There were only 2 of us, so I really can't speak to the cost-effectiveness of Uber vs. public transportation for a group of 4. (You can use the Uber app but my understanding is you will get a regular taxi. A couple times we checked Uber prices but always opted for public transport instead due to cost and wait times, so I don't speak from experience on Uber in Dublin)/

From the airport we took the Dublin Express bus. (A bit more expensive than regular public transport but because our hotel was further north and one of the first stops it was much faster, not to mention comfortable, and the boarding area was just outside the terminal ... all making it worth a couple extra bucks to us when jetlagged).

After we settled in to our hotel we went to the nearest agent and bought TFI Leap Cards (regular cards, not the visitor cards). When you ride public transit in Dublin, you can't pay with a credit card, cash must be exact (no change given), and you get a discount with the Leap Card so it's the way to go if you're using public transportation. They have Child cards.

The outlets where you can buy the cards are all over the place; in our case it was a Circle K 2 doors down from our hotel. We paid a non-refundable 5 Euro fee per card (1 per person) and then preloaded our cards with 10 Euros each. I downloaded the Leap Top-Up app on to my phone; with the app you can scan your card to check the balance (it's pretty slick). When we were starting to get low we added some additional euros at a train/bus stop kiosk.

A couple tips I learned: 1) On the bus, you only scan your card when you get on right by the driver. But on the tram, you scan your card both when you get on and when you get off at the scanner at your stop, before & after boarding (not on the tram). 2) Dubliners are very friendly and helpful. If you're not sure what you're doing or where to get off just ask and they will help!

Last edited:
Get brave and hop,the Big Red bus and go to Ballina . So much history there a safe little Irish town where you will Feel the Irish vibe . Bilaina is where Bidens family is from LOL .
But they have a cool museum that is real not a commercial money grab.

Been to Dublin several times and always found it very walkable. The one exception was getting to Killmainham Gaol and Museum. We took a city bus that dropped us right near the Gaol. I don’t remember the bus route number but should be easy enough to find out.

I obviously don’t know what particularly interests you but, if you have any serious interest in Irish history, particularly as it pertains to the Easter Rising, Killmainham is not to be missed.

https://www.kilmainhamgaolmuseum.ie/

We also thoroughly enjoyed the Irish Emigration Museum. Easily walkable from Dublin center.

https://epicchq.com/

When we were in Ireland we had friends that showed us around . My wife was intent she was going to climb Croaghs Peak . It looked like nothing from miles away but once you see it up close it takes your breath away. You feel you are with god . This is where St Patrick made his speech. As I said Ballina county Mayo is special, not another big town. On the bridge over the river there is a monument built for two Irishmen who fished in the river and were hanged . The British owned the rivers Take in an Irish football game , not Norte Dame . Gaelic football is a professional football game where they play for Pride. .Every county has a team Dublin Blues always win. But their Super Bowl certainly matches ours. Take in some Saw Doctors to get the vibe.

We had a rental car that we took from Dublin to Killarney for a few days. We returned it in upon getting back to Dublin. And then we walked around Dublin the next 2-3 days before going home. We stayed in the Temple Bar area and could walk everywhere that we wanted to go.

I agree with others that walking around is the best way for the majority of the sights. It's a very walkable city. I guess you could look at buses or taxis for things on the fringes. I did take the light rail train down the coast a ways to get out of the city for a side trip.

Been to Dublin several times and always found it very walkable. The one exception was getting to Killmainham Gaol and Museum. We took a city bus that dropped us right near the Gaol. I don’t remember the bus route number but should be easy enough to find out.

I obviously don’t know what particularly interests you but, if you have any serious interest in Irish history, particularly as it pertains to the Easter Rising, Killmainham is not to be missed.

https://www.kilmainhamgaolmuseum.ie/

We also thoroughly enjoyed the Irish Emigration Museum. Easily walkable from Dublin center.

https://epicchq.com/

I second the Killmainham Gaol tour. I learned so much, and our tour guide was wonderful.

We did the hop on/hop off bus when we first arrived, and took a cab to the Gaol, but walked everywhere else.

Ask your hotel desk staff about safety. Last summer and fall there were several instances of violence in and around certain areas of Dublin. I don't recall exactly where. We had no problems last June, but make sure you have the latest info. Guinness is a fun tour, and very well done. The EPIC museum was fantastic and I would put that at #1 on my list. A pint or two at the Temple Bar with their live music would be #2. If the weather is nice, the Howth Cliff walk is fantastic (get there with DART). The Newgrange burial mounds are incredible. Best to rent a car to visit here, or look for a bus day tour from Dublin. You need to book tickets in advance if you opt to rent a car and self guide. If self guiding, plan to pack a picnic and stop at the Battle of the Boyne visitor center as well.

Back
Top Bottom