Best source for finding part-time jobs?

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
I’ll be a retired English teacher. I have to have some kind of part-time work because I’m just wired that way. From my two weeks of being retired, I know I’ll just sit around and brood about going broke or getting sick. i’m perfectly healthy and in great financial shape, but worrying is my super power.
So where/how do those of you who work part time find your jobs? Is there one great source? A laptop job would be great.

I don't work part-time, but indeed.com is the biggest job board these days and you can easily search for part-time and in your zip code (or remote as an option).

I’ll be a retired English teacher. I have to have some kind of part-time work because I’m just wired that way. From my two weeks of being retired, I know I’ll just sit around and brood about going broke or getting sick. i’m perfectly healthy and in great financial shape, but worrying is my super power.
So where/how do those of you who work part time find your jobs? Is there one great source? A laptop job would be great.

What is an example of a laptop job? (i've only worked in industry (business, tech management)

Are there any employment agencies in your area? If so, you can contact them. They may have part time/work at home positions available. I usually get a call from one about once every other month asking me if I am interested in anything (I'm not).

Frankly, networking is how I got my part-time contract job with my former employer. Before retiring, I mentioned, to people I knew thought well of me, that it would be a shame to let all my hard-won knowledge just fall on the floor...and the phone call came.

I take it there's no way you can wangle something with the school system? Schools are having to re-think how they do everything...can you see a way you could be helpful to that effort?

As above, indeed.com seems to be the go-to site for job seekers these days. LinkedIn also has recruiters and you can say you are open to part time positions, but that does not seem as popular with job seekers. Lastly, many states have employment websites under their Department of Labor or equivalent that employers and jobseekers can use. I navigated all this with DS when he graduated, and again when his small business employer laid off 1/4 the staff 8 months later (he was last-in first-out).

All my part time work came from networking. Or to be precise, networking when I was working - they called me after they heard I retired from megacorp.

The obvious suggestion is substitute teaching, but there are a variety of roles I'm sure you could do. I recommend that you think about what you want to do and craft a resume (or resumes) around that. For example, my megacorp had a former Professor of English as a technical writer/editor, and we hired other editors for short-term proposal work.

Amethyst—I’m sure I could. I actually retired from public school and am committed to another year at the private school I taught at last year. I’m itching to try something different.

I started volunteering in a member owned food coop. The "pay" was just a discount on food and the job completely different than when I was working (stocking shelves). But the hours were flexible and it was fun to get out of the house.

Probably not a good plan for you, but I went on to teaching as an adjunct at a local school. This has turned into full time employment (so watch out about getting sucked in!) But, teaching college level is pretty cool - while there are plenty of students who don't know why they are there, there are also a lot who realize they are paying to obtain knowledge. It is also different in that I can treat them as ADULTS - you don't want to come to class, whatever (but remember you are responsible for the items covered in the class).

Have you looked at either getting a job teaching English as a foreign language or doing freelance proofreading? I'm looking into both of these options because I "play with words" for a living in my day job.

Check out https://www.teachaway.com/ for information about teaching English online. I've also been looking into this certification, which uses a curriculum developed by the University of Toronto (one of the top universities in Canada): https://www.teachaway.com/courses/oise-tefl

The founder of Proofread Anywhere makes buckets of money from her course (and her emails are rather spammy). That said, the program (especially for transcript proofreading) looks solid and I've read some reviews that seem to offer a fairly objective perspective on the benefits of her courses.
https://proofreadanywhere.com/

Vafoodie,

I worked as a dealer trade driver for 5 years at a Houston area Toyota dealership. These are folks who drive vehicles being traded from the local dealer to pick up a customer ordered vehicle from an out of town dealership. When a trade is arranged by your dealer you must be available to leave very quickly.

You are usually driving brand new vehicles and get paid by the mile. Most dealers have more than one driver they can call for work.

As it looks like more schools will be fully or partially online again in the fall, a number of parents are looking for some supplemental help. Some families are hiring tutors to help students who are having a hard time with online classes or for when the online classes aren't covering the material appropriately.

If you let your friends and neighbors (or local school organizations) know you're available to help, I bet you'll find some people eager to hire your services. You could do some one on one online tutoring, but I bet you'd make more for limited in person tutoring.

Vafoodie,

I worked as a dealer trade driver for 5 years at a Houston area Toyota dealership. These are folks who drive vehicles being traded from the local dealer to pick up a customer ordered vehicle from an out of town dealership. When a trade is arranged by your dealer you must be available to leave very quickly.

You are usually driving brand new vehicles and get paid by the mile. Most dealers have more than one driver they can call for work.

How do you get home from wherever you drop off the car?

These are dealer trade vehicles. You leave the car you drove to the out of town dealer and pick up the car that the customer at your dealership wants to buy.
These trades or swaps are agreed to by both dealers.

Each dealership has someone who handles dealer trades. If the customer wants a certain car or truck with a certain color and equipment and that vehicle is not available in the local area then your home dealer will try to trade with another dealer.

Check out Pearson and Educational Testing Service. Their online essay exam scoring might work for you.

These are dealer trade vehicles. You leave the car you drove to the out of town dealer and pick up the car that the customer at your dealership wants to buy.
These trades or swaps are agreed to by both dealers.

Each dealership has someone who handles dealer trades. If the customer wants a certain car or truck with a certain color and equipment and that vehicle is not available in the local area then your home dealer will try to trade with another dealer.

So my brand new car is used :facepalm: :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I have a Texas teachers retirement system (TRS)pension, but I was a medical provider for a university. They have rules for going back to a Trs J@B, at my salary range I can work/earn $1150 a month max, so only 16 hours a month for me.
I did have a part time medical record review gig almost set up before COVID. I would review cases for 4-6 hours a week and audit some other non medical case managers Case review for a research study.

Hi OP,

Have you found a good source?

Back
Top Bottom