Best way to sell car?

Are you being serious? A 9yr old accord sold for 24k? No way!

I would drive car until the repair cost is beyond it's value and I have to get it fixed to be road legal, one of those drive the car into the ground type. When I am done with the car, I don't bother cleaning it. I call junk cars and get it off my lot within a day and get $150 or $200 cash back.

That's incorrect. The window sticker of the 2011 car was $24K. When I made the car in near showroom condition and posted the original window sticker it attracted lots of neighbors in front of my house. The car sold in less than 24 hours.

Be Careful

We just had a CL murder here in Raleigh NC. The seller met the "buyer" & "mechanic" in a public parking lot and was never heard from again. Very sad:

https://abc11.com/andy-banks-justin-fernando-merritt-raleigh-william/6440894/

"Those charges were in connection to the theft of Banks' SUV -- a 2011 silver Range Rover.

The two apparently met through Craigslist when Banks went to meet Merritt in Cameron Village on Saturday to sell his car.

Banks was reported missing hours later by his friends."

We just had a CL murder here in Raleigh NC. The seller met the "buyer" & "mechanic" in a public parking lot and was never heard from again. Very sad:

https://abc11.com/andy-banks-justin-fernando-merritt-raleigh-william/6440894/

"Those charges were in connection to the theft of Banks' SUV -- a 2011 silver Range Rover.

The two apparently met through Craigslist when Banks went to meet Merritt in Cameron Village on Saturday to sell his car.

Banks was reported missing hours later by his friends."

I have been following this terrible tragedy since I live in the next county. I have used Craigslist in past to sale things (never a car) and I always meet the potential buyer at the police station but I doubt if I ever use Craigslist again. The problem with selling a car is the test drive. Don't know if this is what happened in the Raleigh murder but the seller could have gone with the potential "buyer" for a test drive and was murdered.

Yep, posted this up-thread.

What's your choice, let them do the test drive alone?

Private sales are not for me, never have been.

Yep, posted this up-thread.

What's your choice, let them do the test drive alone?

Private sales are not for me, never have been.

You should state - meet next to police station for test drive.

You should state - meet next to police station for test drive.

But when you meet them next to the police station for a test drive do you ride with them and thereby leave the safety of the police station? The guy in the Raleigh Craigslist murder met the "potential buyer" at a shopping center. Then it appears he and the potential buyer went on a test drive and then his body and the car was found in Virginia.

The last car I sold was through next-door and it worked out fine. I checked the potential buyer out as best I could, meet at the police station, I let him test drive without me. He left me the car he came in while he test drove--there was some risk but at least I was not in the car with him.

Well, the last time I sold a car privately to a stranger, we not only met in the police station parking lot, I had their name, address, and phone number, and I verified that info with their driver's license before we went on a test drive. My partner knew when we were doing the test drive, and also had that info, and I texted before, during, and after, and encouraged the buyer to do the same with me. (Except texting during the test drive, of course!)

But when you meet them next to the police station for a test drive do you ride with them and thereby leave the safety of the police station? The guy in the Raleigh Craigslist murder met the "potential buyer" at a shopping center. Then it appears he and the potential buyer went on a test drive and then his body and the car was found in Virginia.

The last car I sold was through next-door and it worked out fine. I checked the potential buyer out as best I could, meet at the police station, I let him test drive without me. He left me the car he came in while he test drove--there was some risk but at least I was not in the car with him.

When you meet at a police station or at a bank, say hello to the camera filming activity in the parking lot.

Back
Top Bottom