Best women's rain jacket for Scotland in June?

Bonus points if you provide a link.

I follow a Facebook page called Travel Fashion Girls. There are all sorts of raincoat recommendations for various travels. You could do a search there. The page owner also has packing recommendations specifically for Scotland in different seasons.

Two raincoats that keep coming up are Eddie Bauer Girl on the Go and 32 Degrees.

People also recommend waterproof rather than water resistant and also recommend a length that covers your behind.

I’m heading to Scotland in a couple of days. I am grappling right now with a choice between my longer, 25 year old red London Fog trench w/zip out flannel lining—which will be warmer if I’m out at night—and my 3/4 length waterproof unlined trench, also London Fog.

I’ll make a final decision once I see the weather before I leave on Sunday.

I hope you find some good places to stay. We rented a flat both times we were in Edinburgh, and a 2 bedroom, 2 bath flat in 2 different areas of Edinburgh was less expensive than hotels at the time.

what type of activities, and what type of packing/luggage?

DW swears by her arc'teryx shell, especially when paired with matching rainpants for very long hikes in the rain. Waterproof, lighweight for carryon (or in a daypack), and with an underlayer, warm enough for summer on antarctic penninsula. But, it would not be the best bet for everyone or for all situations--particularly if someone took luggage enough for more clothing....

We went down this road when we went to Ireland because it rained or at least misted everyday.
Here are the features we both opted for:
Soft outer shell, keeps the scruffy rain jacket noise to a minimum
Breathable, you’ll likely have it on all day. At least get pit zips so you can get some air.
Stretchable, makes movement easier.
Hood, no fun having rain down your neck. Get a rain sombrero too.
Packable

Almost all the quality manufacturers will have jackets with these features. North Face, Arc’Teryx, Patagonia, Outdoor Research.
Expect to pay $90 - $150.
We had a North Face outlet near us and picked up the previous year’s model for $40, but not everyone has access to an outlet.
Kept us dry the whole time.

Don’t forget about waterproof shoes. It’s takes a long time for shoes to dry and cold wet feet are no fun.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom