Bill Gates on Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never understood the fear and distrust of the Gates Foundation. Malaria deaths are half what they were just 20 years ago and I suspect that's much due to their works.
That's not saying he should be obeyed in all things public health, but this is a bright guy who has immersed himself in public health issues. I have a feeling he might know more about it than I.
(I had an ex-coworker send a Facebook posting saying Gates should be tried for crimes against humanity. I'm so glad I no longer have cable news.)

With regard to qualifications ....
The 2nd article is actually quite positive on the Gates Foundation. When a country is run by a dictator who doesn't really care for the health of their citizens, why shouldn't someone providing money for health care in that country impose conditions?

Unlike some others that we read about, the Gates Foundation has some outstanding expert advisors, so Gates himself does not need to be a genius on health care nor even philanthropy.

This thread is like cable news, where it’s 99 to a recalcitrant 1 who wants to keep arguing nonsense. Moving on.

Funny stuff. Gates Foundation is into way more than vaccines. That’s only the current focus, well, probably because we’re in a pandemic.

Just google Gates and toilets. Here’s one article: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna931901

Or how about turning polluted water into something drinkable?

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Development/Omniprocessor-From-Poop-to-Potable

I wonder how many of us would drink that?

We need more people like Gates in the world. I didn’t care much for him in his MS days, but he’s definitely chilled and has used his resources to improve the quality of life for many in the world.

Unlike some others that we read about, the Gates Foundation has some outstanding expert advisors, so Gates himself does not need to be a genius on health care nor even philanthropy.

A common trait among great leaders. Surround yourself with smart people that are experts in their field. And know enough to ask the right questions to make sure they’re not bs’ing you.

Funny stuff. Gates Foundation is into way more than vaccines. That’s only the current focus, well, probably because we’re in a pandemic. We need more people like Gates in the world. I didn’t care much for him in his MS days, but he’s definitely chilled and has used his resources to improve the quality of life for many in the world.

In his MS days, my colleagues would always say, if Bill Gates had to pay $1 for every time Windows crashes, he would be the poorest man in the world and not the richest. So his wealth and that of the Foundation has been siphoned off through the wasted minutes or hours people spent waiting for the reboot, so it's quite alright to use it to make the world a better place. :)

I think the B&M Gates Foundation has done tremendous good, and they have a particular knack for finding areas where a clever, cost efficient way can have high impact. It's incredible how practically useful the "toilet" story from his earlier days is, something that one may not immediately think about as being important. Vaccination approaches are one part of this, they tend to give you the biggest bang for the buck regarding health outcomes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom