Birds are wiping me out...

Flyfish1

Recycles dryer sheets
The birds are literally eating me out of house and home. The feeder on the right was emptied in 2 days by some very messy eating birds. I watched one female house finch throw seed all over the place like an angry toddler. So much for "eating like a bird"! So I thought I'd ask my friends in the forum for suggestions on a different type of feeder. Any recommendations?
tempImageU42cte.jpg

Fill it with only black oil sunflower seeds and you shouldn't have that problem. If you are using a seed mix with wheat, cracked corn and milo they will just throw that around.

Fill it with only black oil sunflower seeds and you shouldn't have that problem. If you are using a seed mix with wheat, cracked corn and milo they will just throw that around.
I agree. That's what I have always done. Thistle seed for the little ones like chickadees and goldfinches, but black oil sunflower for everyone else. Of course, suet cake for the woodpeckers.

A lot of the pre-made bird feeds are not designed for birds outside of the East Coast. So, they toss the food away. In my area the feeds are full of millet. Most of the local indigenous birds don’t like millet.

In my neighborhood, someone has a feeder in their front yard with what most certainly contains sunflower seeds. They now have a 6 foot circle of sunflowers growing all around it. Birds sit on the house nextdoor and swoop in and out of the feeder spot all day long.

I got a feeder many years ago. Within a month I had a family of cats...

I feed my birds shelled sunflower seeds. No sprouting, no mess. Anything that is dropped gets eaten by the mourning doves or quail. They are expensive though; about $98.00 for a 50 pound bag.

Don’t feed them. Put in a nice shallow birdbath instead.

Here feeders attract mostly house sparrows so we don’t provide seed, just water.

We also have plenty of flowering plants for the hummingbirds.

No feeders here. We also have a bird bath in the yard, it is fun to watch them drink and bathe!
I plant shrubs that flower during different seasons all year, plus my summer flowers for the birds, bees, butterflies. We have two pairs of hummingbirds that winter over in our winter camellia, and build a nest in the spring. I can sit on the deck in the early morning and hear them.
And I have blueberries, which I try to get before the birds do, but don't mind if the bush feeds them, too.
Bunnies seem to get to my garden before I do also. I have not planted veggies yet this year.

Are there benefits to feeding the birds or attracting them near your home with bird baths?

Just watching them? Or wanting to collect bird droppings on your properties?

Or do they reduce insects near your home?

The birds are literally eating me out of house and home.
I guess you are too far northeast to get the benefits of the two cicada broods that are emerging now in the 17 states across the South and Midwest. On a walk around my neighborhood, there must be a gazillion live and dead cicadas all over the place. The birds, especially the larger ones, are getting fat on them!

Are there benefits to feeding the birds or attracting them near your home with bird baths?

For me it's partly watching them but also environmental. Birds' habitats are being destroyed and I can contribute a little to having food and a lake nearby. I spend about $1,000/year on bird seed. (It would be cheaper at Costco but I like to support the local small business.) I buy a mix that's already hulled, so less mess and more expensive. Mine also contains hot pepper powder- no harm to the birds but it keeps the squirrels away. I saw one sniff at a hot pepper seed cake and scurry away.

We have lots of cool birds here and I like seeing and hearing them. The bird bath attracts them but so do the trees in our yard. We usually have several nesting over the summer. I really enjoy hearing them sing in the mornings - Clay-colored Thrush, Hooded Oriole, Tropical and Couches Kingbirds, Great Kiskadee, Brown-crested Flycatcher.

We have lots of cool birds here and I like seeing and hearing them. The bird bath attracts them but so do the trees in our yard. We usually have several nesting over the summer. I really enjoy hearing them sing in the mornings - Clay-colored Thrush, Hooded Oriole, Tropical and Couches Kingbirds, Great Kiskadee, Brown-crested Flycatcher.
I love seeing and watching birds. They add to my joie de vivre, and I think they like us too. What can I say? We even drive a quarter mile to the boat launch, to see the sea gulls playing over there. Here at home, we have a few sea gulls but also ravens, ducks, egrets, and so many more.

We don't feed them or have a bird bath. They play in my back yard just out of the goodness of their little birdie hearts. :flowers:

Last edited:
Yep I enjoy watching them, makes me happy. I just put up that feeder and of course instructed my wife NOT to buy only sunflower seeds and to get a mix. Ha! Now I have to eat crow and go get some sunflower seeds. So far the squirrels and chipmunks have not been able to get to the feeder and fortunately our little local area doesn't have black bear...yet. They are all over the State of CT and have been seen only a few miles away. Apparently they are increasing in number across the state.

Reactions: W2R
No feeder here, but I wanted to offer a comment about how much more I enjoy birds now, and maybe it would work for you too.

There's a mobile app from Cornell University (they've 'always' been the bird U). This app is amazing IMO at identifying bird calls. Before, I knew a few birds by call, but I know dozens now. The app also lets you record when and where you saw a bird (a 'life list'), but that's not a big deal with me. For me I like to hear and know what bird is making the song or call.

The app is called "Merlin"

Got to our cabin yesterday, DW bought a new hummingbird feeder and we'll set it up soon. While I was sitting on the deck eating cashews I saw a camp robber watching me. Out of curiosity I held one out and it flew up and grabbed it out of my hand while flying!
We have to be careful what we put out because of the bears. So we'll probably get a small bird bath (thanks for the suggestion). I already keep a 5 gallon bucket full of water for the deer.

Birds appreciate very shallow bird baths. You can always add some flattish rocks to create multiple levels.

There's a mobile app from Cornell University (they've 'always' been the bird U).
They also do the Great Backyard Bird Count every year over President's Day weekend. It's worldwide and you can record what you see in intervals of as little as 15 minutes. I've found it to be a great break in dreary Midwestern winters and it helps with their research on migration, etc. People from all over the world participate.

I do get deluged with e-mails from them the rest of the year so use your spamcatcher address.

Planting bushes that the birds can use to hide from predators is a good way to attract them to your yard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom