blocking landline first 6 digits spam spoofing calls

workburnout

Recycles dryer sheets
Is there a program out there where I can block the first 6 same numbers for example 123-456 of all calls?

I use a home office landline for work.
Every day I get spoofed telemarketer calls from the same 6 first numbers as my own phone number. The last 4 numbers are always different.

Each time, I block the number. However, the spammers use a computer dialer to mix up the last 4 digits so they still get through.
EVERY SINGLE DAY while I'm trying to work, this happens, while I'm on the phone with a customer earning a living.

I do not have any friends or family who share the same 6 numbers - so I'd like to block all incoming calls starting with those numbers.

However, I can only find programs for a landline phone that either block the entire phone number - or block the first 3 numbers only.
I found one for Android that blocks the first 6 - but it won't work with my landline.

I need the home landline for work, because where I live the cell phone signals cause a lot of dropped calls - during storms especially - and I can't be hanging up on my work clients.

If anyone knows of a program that would work to block the first 6 numbers, it would be much appreciated.

I'm following this. I have the same spammer calling me and everytime I block the number the nest day they call again with a slighly different number. I've blocked over 20 numbers with this spammer.

I know you're talking about a land line, but this is one of the reasons I like my Apple Watch. When I get an unknown caller on my iPhone, I can glance at my wrist, see that's it a neighbor spoof, and refuse the call with a quick tap.

For landlines, I dunno, except just let all calls like that go to voice mail.

I wonder if it would even work. Is the number you’re seeing actually the number that the blocking software would see and react to? Seems like it’s little more than a description field, like a name that you’re seeing, not the actual underlying number that would be what needs to be blocked. Just wondering.

It was worse for me. At work, a bunch of us had the same first 6 digits on our cell phones, so you could never comfortably assume it was spam. Sure, it mostly was, but it’s hard to ignore your work numbers.

Attached are my call blocking rules. If they get through the first four rules, the last one stops them dead. It has been very effective for over a year now.

Attachments

• call blocking rules.jpg
    call blocking rules.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 30
You say "landline", does that mean "POTS" (old analog copper wire - the Plain Old Telephone System)?

We have the kind of phones that people associate with "landline", but they are VOIP through an adapter. We can log into our account, and we have lots of call blocking options. I'm certain you can block an entire exchange and/or area code with wildcards.

So that's one way to get around the 'neighborhood' spoofing - get a phone number from an area where you never expect a call from, and block them.

-ERD50

I have 2 main ways to block unwanted calls to my land line. One is specifying numbers through the account in my phone carrier's website I wish to block. I have a bunch of numbers there including some "neighbor" numbers. The other is having added the Nomorobo feature to my phone line. But with the vast increase in spoofing numbers, Nomorobo has become far less effective in blocking unwanted (robo)callers. Back in late 2016, when I first switched to internet-based land line service, nomorobo blocked about 3/4 or those robocallers. Now, it's maybe half of the callers.

My cell phone is a different story. I have a simple cell phone, not one of those smart phones. I rarely use the cell phone, it is only for emergencies. I have given the number out to maybe 10 people. But I have received many, many calls, most of them (probably 90%) from out-of-area. The rest of them are neighbor spoofed numbers. I know nobody who has a phone number which matches my area code and first 3 digits, so every one of those neighbor calls is a fake.

Another source of the unwanted calls to my cell phone are several calls asking for the former owner of my cell phone number. I got my cell phone in early 2015 yet I still get some calls for Leonard who used to have my number. Some of the callers are legit, such as from local doctor offices or other local businesses. I got his last name but still can't track him down. I pay per minute for the cell phone, but I don't burn up minutes any more with all the junk calls (I reject them); I can also use my land line to retrieve any voice mails left from them.

The whole thing is still a big PITA.

I know you're talking about a land line, but this is one of the reasons I like my Apple Watch. When I get an unknown caller on my iPhone, I can glance at my wrist, see that's it a neighbor spoof, and refuse the call with a quick tap.

For landlines, I dunno, except just let all calls like that go to voice mail.
Sorry, I can’t help either, but I do this on my phone too. Any call I get that has the same atea code and prefix gets blocked immediately. Sooner or later, I’m bound to block them all :D

I wish you luck finding a solution to this problem for your landline.

Back
Top Bottom