Boomer Benefits opinions?

There are seven states that do not allow excess charges, so the only Plan N additional charge are the up to $20 copays.

Good point.

Also note those $20 copays ($50 for ER visit unless hospitalized) are only charged for doctor office visits, not for online, telephone or telehealth services. Additionally, no copay is charged for services like labs, x-rays, or physical therapy sessions.

Questions and Answers Regarding Implementation of Medicare Supplement Plan N Copayment, Deductible and Coinsurance

Last edited:
I talked to BB about MediCare supplement plans recently. I am wondering about any feedback you all might have.

N is fine, BB knows more about this than random posters IMO. Especially the California specific issues

I used BB to get my Medicare supplement. I spoke to them about increases in premiums, and they reviewed the increase history of several different companies. I went with UHC/AARP for both the low initial cost, lower premium increases and the fact they include a gym membership. I have been very happy with them and have had no problems. A good reason to use BB to get your policy is that if you have problems in the future they will deal with it for you. I'm not sure local brokers do that.

...The additional co-pays aren't an issue but I guess the scary part with the N plan is being hit with the 15% excess charge. Is it not as bad as it sounds? Seems like that could be a sizable bill for certain procedures if any doctor/hospital decided to add it.
Here is the Medicare provider finder.

https://www.medicare.gov/care-compare/

For doctors/clinicians, it tells you if they accept the Medicare approved amount (no excess). If it has a question mark followed by "may charge...", it means they can and usually do bill the excess charge. Try Clinical Social Worker in Phoenix and go to page 7 for examples. Other types of providers like hospitals, labs and ambulance cannot bill excess charges.

Here is the Medicare provider finder.

https://www.medicare.gov/care-compare/

For doctors/clinicians, it tells you if they accept the Medicare approved amount (no excess). If it has a question mark followed by "may charge...", it means they can and usually do bill the excess charge. Try Clinical Social Worker in Phoenix and go to page 7 for examples. Other types of providers like hospitals, labs and ambulance cannot bill excess charges.

Thanks for this.

Out of curiosity I did a search for urologists in San Antonio, TX. It returned 76 physicians and showed only one (1) of the 76 did not accept the Medicare approved amount.

Last edited:
I wrestled with the G vs N decision too. In the end I went with the G. The difference in price was small. I’m a worrier so I thought the extra money was worth it for me not to think about it.

Murf

I used BB when signing up for Medicare, Medigap, and Plan D last year. I appreciated their analysis and understood the reasoning for their recommendations. But I chose different plans based on my own analysis.

I shared many of the concerns regarding their recommended MoO policies discussed previously in this thread. The clincher for me was the Renew Active fitness benefit offered by AARP plan G. This saved me $900/year at my two local gyms. Yes, I needed both memberships to get both racquetball and indoor pickleball.

The Boomer Benefits Plan D analysis seemed very sophisticated and thorough but was flawed. It assumes you will use their insurance for all your medications and finds the plan with the lowest annual cost.

Their software completely ignores the option of using GoodRx or similar for just some of your meds. That's a very common situation where most medications are generic and free or nearly free with perhaps one costly Rx.

It's apparent, that the low cost prescription drug plans like Aetna Silver Script SmartRx lose money on genetics and depend on the higher tier drugs for profit. That's easy to circumvent by using GoodRx pricing rather than Plan D coverage when it's cheaper.

Everyone's needs are different and I wouldn't trust the recommendations of Boomer Benefits or any agent without confirmation with my own analysis.

I need to find out if my plan is attained age, issue age or community rate (don’t know tbh :blush:)- but it appears Medigap plans can increase with age and inflation.

It may well be your rate increase was predictable, and not malpractice by MoO as you contend.

Just started reading this thread and this is one thing that interests me..

I would assume that issue age would only be increasing with inflation and not age...

That attained age would increase with age and inflation...

Community rating might be the same as issue age but not sure..

We just got our notice of increase from AARP/UHC for our Plan N. A whopping $4.84 combined for the two of us. We both turn 66 next month.

What is the monthly total cost?

It is interesting that I have BCBSTx and they sent me a letter to sign up for their supplement plan...

Went into their system and they say "no plans in your area"....

Looking at the AARP plan which sent the actual prices and mine is higher than what I was hoping... to get really low you have to have other discounts... still have to look at them as who knows what others charge...

Just curious....

Went to Boomerbenifits and the site is not the one that I was thinking with the guy having videos... it is run by some woman in Ft. Worth.

What is the site that most talk about here?

BTW, the one I saw was also very highly rated...

Just curious....

Went to Boomerbenifits and the site is not the one that I was thinking with the guy having videos... it is run by some woman in Ft. Worth.

What is the site that most talk about here?

BTW, the one I saw was also very highly rated...
I thought Boomer Benefits was the Medicare supplement broker that was "most talked about here?" It was founded in 2005 by (some woman) Danielle Kunkle Roberts, she has been with them all along and she is featured in many/most of their videos. There are several "guys having videos" on Medicare supplements, go to YouTube and search on Medicare supplements and you'll get several?

Last edited:
OK.... there was another one that had a guy who also did videos... not sure but maybe out of Colorado? I thought he was the one who most people were recommending.

Just found it...

Senior Savings Network

OK.... there was another one that had a guy who also did videos... not sure but maybe out of Colorado? I thought he was the one who most people were recommending.
I don't care who you choose, but Boomer Benefits also has videos, almost 7 million views so far. They were most helpful for me when I turned 65. I researched the heck out of Medicare, supplements and Part D for months before I turned 65, only to find out Boomer Benefits could have done it all for me. Because I had done so much on my own, when I got Boomer Benefits recommendations, I was well equipped to evaluate them - and I was confident they gave me good advice. Three years later I know they gave me good recommendations. Best of luck.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BoomerBenefits/videos

Last edited:
I don't care who you choose, but Boomer Benefits also has videos, almost 7 million views so far. They were most helpful for me when I turned 65. I researched the heck out of Medicare, supplements and Part D for months before I turned 65, only to find out Boomer Benefits could have done it all for me. Because I had done so much on my own, when I got Boomer Benefits recommendations, I was well equipped to evaluate them - and I was confident they gave me good advice. Three years later I know they gave me good recommendations. Best of luck.

https://www.youtube.com/c/BoomerBenefits/videos

Thanks, I am going to reach out to both and see what I get... I am making an assumption that they might have different companies to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom