Breach Victims Three Times Likelier To Be Identity Theft Victims

Well, I still shop at Target, so maybe I don't Learn so well.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Is there ANYBODY left in the US who actually hasn't ever had their CC information stolen in a "breach"? If so I don't know them.

I didn't even HAVE a personal CC from 1998-2014. Yet in order to retain my job working for the federal government, I was forced to carry a work CC that was issued to me and solely used to charge airfare for my work trips. Naturally that CC information was involved in a breach, years ago, maybe back around 2002.

It is mind boggling to me when so often these data breaches are due to theft of laptops left in some idiot's car. At least, that was the way my info was stolen. Why anybody would leave anything important on a laptop in a car is beyond me.

Last edited:
Is there ANYBODY left in the US who actually hasn't ever had their CC information stolen in a "breach"? If so I don't know them.

One of the benefits of not having any CCs is that i've never(to my knowledge) had my personal information stolen in any manner.

One of the benefits of not having any CCs is that i've never(to my knowledge) had my personal information stolen in any manner.

Well I tried to do that! :ROFLMAO: Good work in avoiding these problems, Aaron.

.snip..

It is mind boggling to me when so often these data breaches are due to theft of laptops left in some idiot's car. At least, that was the way my info was stolen. Why anybody would leave anything important on a laptop in a car is beyond me.

Sadly more common than it should be. I knew of a guy that had 4 corporate laptops stolen, the last one, he used the men's room in O'Hara setting the laptop down in the main concourse. He claimed to be surprised when it wasn't there!

A few years back I had experience with two large financial institutions, both had their live unencryptrd corporate data on tapes sent cross country via an employee's briefcase! In both cases this was production data with real account numbers, names, share balances, SSNs, adresses, emails. .... . Nothing was stolen but it could have been. Multiple layers of both organization's management were aware this was ocuring, approval was given, I'm sure the top folks would have claimed ignorance should something have happened.

Back
Top Bottom