Brian, JUST retired at 49

DUFUS

Dryer sheet aficionado
Just found this board! Funny... Why didn't I think to check for a forum on the subject since I've been counting down years/months/days? :facepalm: No matter, here I am. :greetings10: Looks like I have some reading to do.
Anyway, I "volunteered" for a layoff so I could do even better than realizing the long recurring dream of retirement at age 50. Started working at 21, managed to hold on at the same place (big company, who cares, all the same) though spinoffs, mergers, name changes, etc., while keeping a defined benefit pension plan (although it was frozen 3 yrs ago). I'm single (probably the only reason I could consider this), with personal savings, 401k, aforementioned pension, and everything is paid for. How much? Who cares, it's enough for me. Or maybe that will be TBD. :(
If I were to be honest, I was underworked (from home, no less) and overpaid and could do the job in my sleep... But why? MY reaction to the environment was not healthy. So, since I seemed determined to heap stress upon myself where none should exist, and was unable to change my attitude, I figured I would change the scenery.
I like to think that the last decision of my "career", to jump in front of the swinging axe, saved another person that needed the job since they were making cuts across the board.
But mostly it was a selfish decision to be happy. :LOL: I'm looking forward to that most of all.

Welcome and congrats. I rather say you jumped out the plane with your parachute packed and someone else has to help keep the plane aloft. Can't be a swinging axe without blood and gore...

Congrats!! And welcome aboard. Lost of great advice & experience shared on this forum.

Understand your feelings, although I've not yet RE'ed and already missed the 'retired by 50" dream. Being constantly told there's numbers of others waiting for your j#b goes a long way towards quashing the guilt of RE & not "contributing to society" ;)

Sounds like it worked out perfectly! Well done. Enjoy the time...you should have a great life ahead of you.

Congrats!
If I'm offered a severance - I'll be taking the same path as you - moving my early retirement date sooner.

Hi, I'm new here too, similar circumstances as yours. From your description I get the sense that you and I share a common trait of being the pleaser type. People like us have paid our dues through our decades of service so I don't think it's selfish to demand the privilege of doing what we want at our stage.

That said, I think it's worth taking firecalc for a spin if you haven't run your numbers yet. It may be possible to go back, but I for one wouldn't want to have to just because of a bad spending plan. Although perhaps a bigger risk on this board is underspending during the early years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom