Buffalo to Savannah

Bflotomny

Recycles dryer sheets
We are planning a spring trip to Charleston/Savannah area. Traveling from Buffalo, I looking for suggestions and help. MapQuest suggests Rts 79-77-95. I’m looking for first night stop in either Charleston WV, Beckley WV or Statesville NC. All about 7-8 hours from Bflo. Statesville would be 10 hours from home and 4-5 to Savannah. Any former road warriors who traveled this route that can recommend which town to stop for the night. I’ve read that Beckley has mostly 1 star hotels with 4 star pricing.

I've stayed at the KOA in Statesville a couple of times when we were going up to Floyd, VA for music festivals, bit other than that don't know much about the accommodations.

If you need any help on Charleston or Savannah, I'm happy to help. Tourist advice is in our DNA down here. :)

Charleston isn't on that route so I don't see how that is up for consideration. I've stayed at cheap motels there a couple of times, you pretty much get what you paid for.

Haven't stayed in Beckley but driven through. I haven't heard that 1*/4* story about Beckley, and I'd check actual prices to see how true it is, but I wouldn't be surprised if prices are a bit high since it's where 64 & 77 come together. TripAdvisor doesn't show any hotels rated 2 or below, something neither Charleston or Statesville can claim, fwiw.

Don't know too much about Statesville except that I took 77 south onto 40 West in October and there is major construction with very little helpful signage and I was lucky to get on the right exit for I-40. So if you go for that, I'd be sure to get a hotel off I-77 without having to go onto I-40 at all.

Mountain driving through WV can be a bit tense with all of the curves and hills. But, I-77 south of I-81 was a very nice uncrowded drive, so I personally wouldn't mind driving extra hours at the end of the day on something easy like that.

I'd probably make my decision based on how far I wanted to drive, and avoiding an area that seemed way overpriced and any places with poor reviews. I just want a clean safe place to sleep and be back on my way.

Another place to consider for a stop is Wyetheville, VA. It's not a big town but because 81 and 77 share a common route through the area, there are quite a few hotels. I agree on the driving. That is our usual route to Florida which we usually drive non-stop so don't stay. The driving can be a challenge in southern PA and on highway 19 down to Beckley. Charleston is nice but I wouldn't drive that far out of my way just to stay in a motel, unless the weather is bad and you wanted to avoid 19. If that were the case and I were planning to stop anyway then I would just stop further north and wait on the weather, especially if it were night time.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions. I didn't consider Wyetheville but I will look in to it along with the others.
Happy Trails

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom