burglar alarms?

A friend's "burglar alarm" is to keep non-functional but still good looking computer and electronics items in his carport. He figures that anyone who wants to steal will be distracted by these "easy pickings". They take them, he gets rid of them with no effort and no harm to the house - a win-win. :)

I was thinking of getting this system that is not monitored. I don't want a monthly fee to add to our budget, as I'm just not sure of its value - especially after reading this thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00032AVN6/ref=gno_cart_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Anyone have thoughts on this or another system that might be better?

I will look for some kind of security sign to purchase for the yard, too.

My main purpose I want to achieve is being woken up should someone try to break in at night while we are sleeping. I'm not as concerned about daytime breakins because (1) we don't have valuable "stuff"
(2) we live in a townhouse development so I'm thinking these alarms would get someone's attention pretty fast.

The average police response time here is well over 20 minutes, unfortunately. So having 911 called doesn't help much with stopping a daytime burglary, which I have read typically is done and over within an average of 8 minutes.

I have these things. This is exactly what I alluded to in my previous post. Something to scare away the "normal" hit and run burglars. They work good. Real loud. If you are inside you will know something's up and run out the back door, call 911, grab the shotgun, whatever your Plan is.

I am really only concerned about what happens when I'm HOME also. When I'm away... that's what I have insurance for. I don't own anything expensive that can't be replaced. It doesn't make sense to go too far beyond that. Like I mentioned before: The real Pro's will find a way in and rob you anyway. 99.9% of home break-ins are shlubbs looking for cash, drugs, guns, or something small they can carry and fence. After Alarm company Signs in the window and a local noise-maker system you've reached the point of diminishing returns as far as protection and expenses.

A word about Lawn and window signs: These are hard to come by. You don't want some generic sign that says "Protected by Metro Security" or "This Property has monitored alarm system". Burglars know these are fake. It's easy enough to check out online. No, or a phony phone number on the sign is also a give away. So, you'll have to try and get an ADT sign or a sticker from your local/regional alarm company which they won't just give away unless you buy something.

I have these things...... So, you'll have to try and get an ADT sign or a sticker from your local/regional alarm company which they won't just give away unless you buy something.

Shop le 'Bay.

I was thinking of getting this system that is not monitored. I don't want a monthly fee to add to our budget, as I'm just not sure of its value - especially after reading this thread.

Amazon.com: GE Personal Security Alarm Kit: Home Improvement

Anyone have thoughts on this or another system that might be better?

I will look for some kind of security sign to purchase for the yard, too.

My main purpose I want to achieve is being woken up should someone try to break in at night while we are sleeping. I'm not as concerned about daytime breakins because (1) we don't have valuable "stuff"
(2) we live in a townhouse development so I'm thinking these alarms would get someone's attention pretty fast.

The average police response time here is well over 20 minutes, unfortunately. So having 911 called doesn't help much with stopping a daytime burglary, which I have read typically is done and over within an average of 8 minutes.

That system appears to be out of stock at Amazon. A really good system is SimliSafe which you can install and not have it monitored if you wish;

Home Security Systems from SimpliSafe

There are others....

Shop le 'Bay.

Yes I know. I said they were not easy to come by (as in you just cant buy them at the store) but they are available.

I bought some ADT signs from a place on Amazon which sort of surprised me. Maybe ADT makes some side money under an assumed name just selling "dummy" signs...?

Yes I know. I said they were not easy to come by (as in you just cant buy them at the store) but they are available.

I bought some ADT signs from a place on Amazon which sort of surprised me. Maybe ADT makes some side money under an assumed name just selling "dummy" signs...?

ADT did evaluate our 1500 sq. ft. external garage, with our home. The garage too far away for our buget. They gave us an extra sign, IIRC the guy said they were 90%+ effective.

While I have expensive equipment down there, I don't care, like in your prior post that's what insurance is for. I'm only interested in our safety. We would wake up via alarm, and execute our plan. If we're away and the alarms going off we'd simply wait on the sheriff's office.

We've gone to several tactical defense courses. In every one the instructor's first point was "you're not LE, first get to safety, then call 911, let the professionals deal with the situation".

Mulligan you have the,100% correct thoughts, nobody will cheer you for being Rambo on the street. Protecting you and family at home(in legal limits) is the best and safest way to deal with issues, let the brave public service officials do the rest. Get descriptions, license plate information if possible, more important, stay safe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
When I am home-Gun
When I am not home-I have nothing of value so do not care.

An update. After having the alarm in for a while I ordered 3 more entry sensors, another water/flood sensor and a smoke detector to cover some 'gaps'. I also have received an alarm permit from the Sheriff. This system (not cheap) is worth every cent because of the peace of mind factor. I'll report back in a few months about how it is working out for those of you considering getting one.

My neighbor has this sign attached to the front of his house. He straps a 44 to his waist just to walk his dog around a very safe neighborhood. I'm more worried about him then I am any possible burglars.

no_trespassing_or_dare_to_trespass_sign_poster-rbb5ccfec7e7b47f4ac614cff106d6157_t0z_8byvr_512.jpg

Out of curiosity, why are you more worried about your neighbor than burglars? Have you ever been attacked by a dog while it in a 'safe neighborhood'? I can tell you that I have and I spent 2 days in the hospital because of it. Had I been a 'crazy guy with a gun', that wouldn't have happened.

And is there a such thing as 100% safe neighborhood? No there is not. For me, carrying a weapon is the the same level of insurance as having a fire extinguisher or putting on my seatbelt.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

Out of curiosity, why are you more worried about your neighbor than burglars? Have you ever been attacked by a dog while it in a 'safe neighborhood'? I can tell you that I have and I spent 2 days in the hospital because of it. Had I been a 'crazy guy with a gun', that wouldn't have happened.
:)

Walking a dog around a safe neighborhood with a 44 strapped to your waist isn’t normal behavior in any place I’ve lived. Not sure what his motives are because he doesn't talk to anyone in the neighborhood. If I was worried about other dogs while out walking I would think pepper spray would be effective, it’s what I use when hiking in bear country.

Walking a dog around a safe neighborhood with a 44 strapped to your waist isn’t normal behavior in any place I’ve lived. Not sure what his motives are because he doesn't talk to anyone in the neighborhood. If I was worried about other dogs while out walking I would think pepper spray would be effective, it’s what I use when hiking in bear country.

Zinger your profile says you're in AZ. If that's true I'd find it unusual if he didn't open carry. From what I've seen it's a norm in some areas of the state, maybe he's dressed that way for years. IMHO don't worry about the open carry people, it's a look or feeling they want. I realize it's different than some feel comfortable with.

If a person has ill intent, it's stupid, most folk notice/remember the guy with a .44 strapped on. From a self defense stratagy most experts agree, it's stupid too. You give up an important advantage, the element of surprise. Best wishes.

Last edited:
Zinger your profile says you're in AZ. If that's true I'd find it unusual if he didn't open carry. From what I've seen it's a norm in some areas of the state, maybe he's dressed that way for years. IMHO don't worry about the open carry people, it's a look or feeling they want. I realize it's different than some feel comfortable with.

If a person has ill intent, it's stupid, most folk notice/remember the guy with a .44 strapped on. From a self defense stratagy most experts agree, it's stupid too. You give up an important advantage, the element of surprise. Best wishes.

The open carry ' losing your advantage' is a myth. I have been waiting for a true story of where an OC person was taken out simply because he/she was carrying. I can show you a local story here where a group of robbers decided robbing a Waffle House might be a bad idea when they saw some patrons OC'ing and left instead.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors. :)

The original thread topic is burglar alarms. Still lots to discuss there, so let's try to keep the thread on topic. :)

I couldn't hear the door open or close, so I thought I'd see if I could find some sort of annuncator. DW turned down the cowbell option. The cheapest one that didn't need drilling holes and running wires was part of a burglar alarm system.

We installed a simple wireless setup, with the magnetic switches on doors and windows, and a simple off the shelf controller all from the big-box hardware store. The controller has modes for being a door annunciator, or an 'at home' or 'away' mode burglar alarm.

It works very well. Every two years I hit Amazon for a bunch of the little batteries for the sensors. The controller uses AC power with battery backup.

There are a huge number of accessories for these things, from noisemakers to panic buttons.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom