Burglars jamming wireless systems

There are a few measures that are basic and effective such as solar powered motion sensing lights surrounding the house. Redundant, off system door or window alarms that are tripped by a break in the contacts and have their own dedicated siren. Two things that burglars hate, light and noise. For some it's a matter of principal as opposed to how much will the thieves get.

nothing in my house worth a lot - maybe my camera and lenses...

ring and firearms are my protection.

I wfh and if I see ANYONE that doesn't seem to belong.. I notify the cops. they are good at coming out. recently there was some guy 7am repeatedly driving around the block in a truck slowly - was a newer looking truck and the guy looked harmless - had one of those birthday balloons in the seat next to him. after driving by the 6th time - I called cops - then went in my car to follow him - recorded his license plate - I think I scared the crap out of him as he never came back. police have his plate. if I see him again. my Glock will be waiting...

They can send 1 guy all in black to run up and cut the wire. Then run off.
Police come, find nobody, house ok, so police leave.
Homeowner arranges for cable company to fix the wire , but it will take a day or two to send someone out.
Crooks come back, turn on jammer and enter to clean house.

+1 That's the scenario that I was thinking of.

OP, What exactly are you worried about? My view is that Stuff is insurable or if you are FI you can buy new stuff.

The larger fear, IMHO, would be that they cause you bodily harm in some sense if you are in the house when the invasion occurs.

Hopefully the organized gang was doing this when the house was unoccupied.

-gauss

OP, What exactly are you worried about? My view is that Stuff is insurable or if you are FI you can buy new stuff.

Not worried, just amazed at how sophisticated the crime ring is. And, a bit surprised how simple it is to jam, and thus defeat, the alarm system.

As for me, like others have said, I don’t have much but it would be unnerving to come home to see my stuff gone. Very violating. Hopefully they stick to the typical stuff and not those few items that are irreplaceable like an antique clock my father gave me, etc.

My main fear is being broke into while home. I have a plan for that but pray that day never comes. I see that as the main function of my alarm system - to give me notice when I’m home to implement the plan or to make sure I don’t walk in on someone in the act.

Northforker that may be what I'm looking for. A simple system to wake us up if the door opens while we're sleeping. And hopefully scare away an intruder, if not then I'm awake and aiming.

Well, usually a wired connections comes into the house somewhere above ground, so, in principle, those can be cut.
for our new house, I specified that the fiber entered underground. So it is about a foot down coming through a tube that pierces the concrete basement foundation. From the outside there's no way to know where that entry is being made much less of being able to cut it.

A number of years ago I did have a business burglary where the bad guys cut the telephone line. After that one I brought the phone line in underground but left wires exposed and sure enough another attempted burglary they cut the decoy wires but they didn't find the actual telephone cable.

My dog is my security system.
Me too, but 99% of the time there is someone at home so the dog is just an early warning system. We are so far away from anything, if he barks, we pay attention and are locked and loaded. I'm ~100% more concerned about a fire loss than a burglar.

Last edited:
Northforker that may be what I'm looking for. A simple system to wake us up if the door opens while we're sleeping. And hopefully scare away an intruder, if not then I'm awake and aiming.

I installed them on the bedroom door that the valuables are kept in, so that even if by some unlikely chance they didn't trip the wireless Simplisafe sensors and its siren while we are away, they would trip these old school sirens and think twice about pursuing their theft.

I arm the Simplisafe system to home mode every night when we are home too. If an entry door alarm is tripped while we are home, the next security protocol is employed.;)

..."Question to the group - are they able to jam a wired system, as in somehow blocking the internet so no signal can get out?..."

Well, the cable entering the house can always be cut. Connecting your alarm system to wireless wifi like your phone uses is an option but that can be jammed. A layered defense might be advised for those who are worried.

- A wired alarm system with wireless backup monitored by a central station alarm company
- A wired alarm system monitored by your local police. Our 9-1-1 system permits this. Others may not.

- A good deterrent is to flood the exterior of your home, front and back, with light.
- Properly adjusted motion detectors integrated with security cameras
- Keep shrubbery and trees clear of windows

Many police agencies will do a security checkup of your home and business.

Our ADT system is hard wired but to notify ADT of a break in would be via wifi/internet I believe. Easy to jam. I think alarms are just to cause tweakers to leave quickly. Organized criminals will do what they want.

The same can be done with cell signals. If you pay a monthly fee for your home alarm I think you are probably wasting your money. Prove me wrong. Ask questions like what is the guaranteed response time. What is the documented police response time. yada yada. You'll get double talk!

You are wrong.

We have had the cops show up at our place twice due to the alarm system.

First time, we accidentally pushed a panic button (yes was stupid), and didn't get to the phone fast enough, within ~ 5 minutes four Police were at our house, 2 in back and 2 at the front door.

Second time was this Summer, we were in another Country. My phone goes off, and I'm told Police are on the way. I got to watch via my camera's the Police sweep the house with guns out. Police locked up on the way out, and I had a relative go over and double check house was secure.. We immediately started our return home.

Both times, Cops showed up fast, but still a person has to expect response is going to be affected by distance, other events happening. I mentally use 10 minutes as my expectation, even if the first time they were faster.

While I have a doorbell camera (these are novelties, at best), I don't have anything valuable worth stealing kept in the house. Well, maybe my new 55" TV @ $239.00.

On a personal protective viewpoint, I am armed. My SimpliSafe alarm system, offers no immediate protection, only notification.

Notification is my aim too. I want to know someone is coming in or attempting to.

As for me, like others have said, I don’t have much but it would be unnerving to come home to see my stuff gone. Very violating. ..

+1

The big issue is they will trash the house, it's not like the TV show "it takes a thief" where the fellow opens a bedroom drawer, takes out the necklace and leaves.

It's more of yank drawers out of dressers (breaking plastic safety clips) and dump contents on bed/floor, throw stuff out of closet so can see what is behind clothes, etc. Lift and drop mattress/bed.
Make a complete mess of the place, which makes it harder to know what was stolen

All my camera's which can be jammed with a wifi jammer, record video to their own SD cards, so a criminal will have to go around and pull down each camera to be sure they have the video.

I do think in reality, most criminals ignore camera's. Everyone has seen on TV the lousy images of bank robbers and criminals know for a home Police won't work hard unless the victim is "important".

Bingo. I have been using them for years. I use the "somewhat more sophisticated" ones that have a code you punch in. That way a burglar can't just rip it off or turn it off.

Depending on how sturdy your door & dead bolt are, I have also used these. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brinks-C...curity-Bar/37556074?athbdg=L1103&from=/search

Just trying to push thru the door should make enough noise to wake you up.

Like some have already said, I am more concerned with something happening while I am HOME. If I'm out, that's what insurance is for. And that's if they find anything worth taking.

Last edited:
Sorry for hijacking the post.
Just bought this set, should work for what we want. Our condo complex is gated and well lit at night but still wouldn't be difficult for someone to jump the fence. This one uses AAA batteries which I always have a box of, others use button batteries. I like having the remote so we don't have to jump up if we forget to disarm it.
This will alarm us at night and when our toddler grandson comes visit we'll know when he figures out how to open the door.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078B7LBSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry for hijacking the post.
Just bought this set, should work for what we want. Our condo complex is gated and well lit at night but still wouldn't be difficult for someone to jump the fence. This one uses AAA batteries which I always have a box of, others use button batteries. I like having the remote so we don't have to jump up if we forget to disarm it.
This will alarm us at night and when our toddler grandson comes visit we'll know when he figures out how to open the door.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078B7LBSG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have one those on the rod locker hatch on my bass boat. I hate thieves!

According to CR, jamming is very rare and not all that easy, but they were able to. Knowing what your system is ahead of time helps the thief, so my Ring system with Simplisafe signs should be a good deterrence.

Attachments

• screenshot-www.consumerreports.org-2023.12.07-09_46_50.jpg
    screenshot-www.consumerreports.org-2023.12.07-09_46_50.jpg
    435 KB · Views: 15
Jamming (both WiFi and cellular signal) is pretty common some places overseas when someone (usually a group) is hitting a "worth it" house or doing a home invasion.

Many well protected houses actually have jammer detection devices and use them as an early warning for an imminent threat.

I'm not surprised that this is becoming more common in the USA now.

Not worried, just amazed at how sophisticated the crime ring is. And, a bit surprised how simple it is to jam, and thus defeat, the alarm system.

Even hotel safes are worthless.

Back
Top Bottom