Buying a Car Tomorrow

I bought a new 2018 car last week. I got the price I wanted and resisted all the add-ons. However I had to endure the dreaded extended warranty hard sell in the business office. I don't do this very often (buy a new car, that is--it has been 12 years) and that one incident left me with a bad taste in my mouth despite an otherwise pleasant experience. And no, I did not cave in.

I bought a new 2018 car last week. I got the price I wanted and resisted all the add-ons. However I had to endure the dreaded extended warranty hard sell in the business office. I don't do this very often (buy a new car, that is--it has been 12 years) and that one incident left me with a bad taste in my mouth despite an otherwise pleasant experience. And no, I did not cave in.
what car did you get? did you buy it in st. paul? how did you negotiate to get the price you wanted?

VW Golf, and I played two dealers off each other after doing my research. :)

Thanks for the info, tbfavero, but we bought the car about a week ago. We contacted the dealership via the internet and had them give us a Costco price. We are still trying to figure out how some of the driver assistance features (along with other features) work on the car.
I’ve had all the Subaru driver assist features on my 2018 for over a year if you have questions after you’ve had the car for a while. Some of them are pretty helpful, others not IME.

Everyone has to sit through the dreaded upsell of extended warranties and add ons.
I sat through it with a straight face and declined every option they tried to sell to me. I was questioned, smirked, and tried to make me feel like I was making a big mistake buy declining. The finance guy at the dealership is what they call a closer in the deal. The more $$ the finance guy can generate the bigger the bonus he can get. Good that you stayed strong.

Last edited:
Everyone has to sit through the dreaded upsell of extended warranties and add ons.
I sat through it with a straight face and declined every option they tried to sell to me. I was questioned, smirked, and tried to make me feel like I was making a big mistake but declining. The finance guy at the dealership is what they call a closer in the deal. The more $$ the finance guy can generate the bigger the bonus he can get. Good that you started strong.

What I told the finance guy at a dealership when I was trying to be sold repair insurance (aka.."extended warranty") is that I don't wish to prepay for repairs I may not have.

What I told the finance guy at a dealership when I was trying to be sold repair insurance (aka.."extended warranty") is that I don't wish to prepay for repairs I may not have.
And the explanation the finance guy tried to tell me is that " if I buy it now it will be cheaper than buying it before the warranty expires". I told him -I'm declining.

And the explanation the finance guy tried to tell me is that " if I buy it now it will be cheaper than buying it before the warranty expires". I told him -I'm declining.

You are typically not extending the manufacturer's warranty. It's really just repair insurance (not for normal wear items which are maintenance - I'm sure you know this). It can be bought after you buy the car from a third party insurance company rather than pay 5X the price from the dealer, if you want to buy a policy.

Ask the finance guy if he has bought prepaid insurance on his home water heater. :LOL:

I sat through it with a straight face and declined every option they tried to sell to me. I was questioned, smirked, and tried to make me feel like I was making a big mistake buy declining. The finance guy at the dealership is what they call a closer in the deal. The more $$ the finance guy can generate the bigger the bonus he can get. Good that you stayed strong.

Not Tesla buyers. You can order it online and never set foot into a "dealer" if you don't want to. I purchased my Model 3 that way.

No upselling. No pressure from anyone. No delay tactics to fatigue you.

I already know you don't want to buy one, so don't.

Just informing the world that not EVERYONE goes through what you mentioned.

Not Tesla buyers. You can order it online and never set foot into a "dealer" if you don't want to. I purchased my Model 3 that way.

No upselling. No pressure from anyone. No delay tactics to fatigue you.

I already know you don't want to buy one, so don't.

Just informing the world that not EVERYONE goes through what you mentioned.
Thanks for the feedback. Heard stories on Tesla drivers falling asleep at the wheel while on auto pilot. You snooze, you lose. Safety first. Arrive alive!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Heard stories on Tesla drivers falling asleep at the wheel while on auto pilot. You snooze, you lose. Safety first. Arrive alive!

I didn't buy the autopilot, I grew up driving cars, I'll leave this world driving cars. Tesla gives you free autopilot now and then to get you to purchase it, I always turn it down.

I think most people pay for the autopilot. Maybe when I'm senile I'll be willing.

Another company (one of the Europeans) is now also doing online purchasing.

I look forward to the end of price haggling/warranties/pressure tactics for future generations. Everything else is done online nowadays anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom