Buying Gold?

Even with this thread, I'm not intersteed in reading beyond the first couple of paragraphs of this Washington Post article about the current advertising for gold and silver on select media platforms.

But I went ahead and setup a 'gift link' for forum members who are curious.

Best regards,
Chris

Just a suggestion: Look into selling the jewelry pieces as jewelry. It's just possible they are higher than melt value. (You need to learn what the melt value is, of course.)

One more suggestion, is you can learn how to convert the gold pieces to 99% gold. There are plenty of videos that show you how. It's kinda dangerous, so you have to feel comfortable doing it or else do not do it.

What you have is sort of a PIA to deal with, but much better than having a box of rocks instead.

As far as what to do with your windfall - If you don't need it for your retirement stash, plan a nice vacation, a rehab of your house, charity donations (in fact - you just might get past the tax issues by donating - but check with a tax person.)

Have fun.

Dead money. I'd rather get 5.5% risk free in T-Bills.

I wouldn't be a buyer now, but if I had bought gold at $250 (like I did) I think I'd hang on to the amount that I had planned to hold. I understand the issue that PMs don't earn interest. Small amounts of PMs do have some advantages under certain situations - and not just the end of the world.

I understand they are not for everyone.:cool:

We don't need the bullion cash for our retirement stash, especially with the upcoming sale of our rentals. The vacation would be ideal if it wasn't for our zoo, although no one feels sorry for us if we can't take one. "Lucky we live Hawaii!" Our wills already have serious funds for Rotary & several other non-profits, so no need to give them $$ while we're still alive. Kids, grandkids, & pets are taken care of, too.

I'd love to sell the jewelry as jewelry, but the couple of pieces we brought to a local buyer was disappointing; he was only interested in the gold, & told me to keep the stones. Same with the silverware. We have one 12-piece setting from my folks, passed down from grandparents, or earlier - it's gorgeous, obviously handmade, & no one gave it value past the silver content! Pretty frustrating. I can't be the only person with this "problem," but I can't find an ER thread.

Interesting idea to convert the gold to 99%, Koolau. I'm a retired Chemical Engineer, so the refining process is fairly simple. But I can't see any difference in selling 14 & 18kt. I've already turned scrap Sterling into standard 100-ounce ingots, & it'd be rather cool to have a gold ingot! Not sure I'm quite that bored yet. :D

We don't need the bullion cash for our retirement stash, especially with the upcoming sale of our rentals. The vacation would be ideal if it wasn't for our zoo, although no one feels sorry for us if we can't take one. "Lucky we live Hawaii!" Our wills already have serious funds for Rotary & several other non-profits, so no need to give them $$ while we're still alive. Kids, grandkids, & pets are taken care of, too.

I'd love to sell the jewelry as jewelry, but the couple of pieces we brought to a local buyer was disappointing; he was only interested in the gold, & told me to keep the stones. Same with the silverware. We have one 12-piece setting from my folks, passed down from grandparents, or earlier - it's gorgeous, obviously handmade, & no one gave it value past the silver content! Pretty frustrating. I can't be the only person with this "problem," but I can't find an ER thread.

Interesting idea to convert the gold to 99%, Koolau. I'm a retired Chemical Engineer, so the refining process is fairly simple. But I can't see any difference in selling 14 & 18kt. I've already turned scrap Sterling into standard 100-ounce ingots, & it'd be rather cool to have a gold ingot! Not sure I'm quite that bored yet. :D

Yeah, I used to be a chemist and it looks like a lot of w*rk to me.

Regarding the jewelry and silverware. In the past generation or probably two, virtually all the "treasured" stuff of my parents generation has become worthless. My mom had an expensive china set that she got when she married my dad. I know it cost a lot because it was precious to her. When she died, we literally could not give away her china. I spoke with dealers and they all said the same thing. NO ONE wants this stuff. Keep it for 50 years and it'll be worth a fortune because people are throwing it all away now.

I was thinking back to when the Hunts were trying to corner the market on silver ca 1979??. A friend of mine was big into coin collecting and silver in general. He took a bunch of silver to places that bought silver as it was going crazy. He said they had buckets of anything silver - from jewelry to US coins to rounds to bars.

My friend chuckled to see people bring in those beautifully mounted sets of 1 oz silver bars with intricate stampings. Folks had paid a horrible premium over silver spot for those. The buyers simply took the "albums" and shook the silver ingots into a bucket and gave the album back.

Instead of show me the money, it was "show me the silver."

I've never tried this place nor heard if it's any good, but "they claim" to be rated "A" by the BBB. https://www.expressgoldcash.com/?so...nt to sell gold&utm_content=want to sell gold

Surprised no one here has had a similar circumstance. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom