Hot Sleeper? Linen Sheets OMG

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For those of you who pride yourselves on living on way less $, no need to read any further. Linen sheets are about $200-400 per set for a queen/king.

DW is a HOT SLEEPER. Unless we have the windows open and it's 50F outside, she's TOO WARM - even with 3 fans (honest)! I've bought the best sateen and percale cotton sheets, and they're all much the same though percale is lighter.

It's hard to have a good day after a bad nights sleep, so I broke down and bought some linen sheets to help her out. There are many features, but "the versatility of linen is well worth the cost to anyone who suffers from night sweats or notices they get warmer overnight. These sheets will keep you cool in the summer, warm in the winter, and will pull sweat away from your body, allowing it to evaporate."

To me the difference is night and day - they are cooler. But in all fairness it took DW a while to come to the same conclusion, though she now confirms she isn't TOO WARM at night now - thank goodness.

The major con aside from higher cost, linen sheets feel very different than cotton, some consider them rough and scratchy. While they feel different than cotton, they soften more and more with every wash, they're more durable than cotton so you can keep them much longer, and some brands go to great lengths to pre-soften them for you. I chose the (pre) softest linen sheets I could find (Snowe), see video below. I actually like the way they feel, but they're nothing like cotton.

They also look different, a rustic wrinkly look. So if you like your sheets to look like they've been ironed - you may be appalled with linen.

Pros of linen sheets
  • Temperature regulation
  • Anti-bacterial
  • Hypoallergenic
  • Natural insulator
  • Breathable material
  • Long-lasting and durable
Cons of linen sheets:

• The material can feel rough until it softens after multiple washes (or you pay a premium for stone washed or "proprietary air-washing technology")
  • Duration to soften linen at home can take anywhere from one to three years (if you don't buy pre softened)
  • Soften linens are available at a higher thread count however higher thread count equals more expensive sheets
  • The material can pill which can create lint
  • Can wrinkle easily
So FWIW - we're going to have a hard time going back to cotton sheets during warm months at least.

https://youtu.be/mST9cNuWDQw

Last edited:
I switched from cotton to linen sheets maybe 5 years ago. I'm not going back. I used to sleep in linen sheets when I was a kid, as they were the only kind of sheets that my grandparents had. I loved the feel of them and that's what made me decide to give them another try. But I keep using them for their temperature regulation ability. I'm a hot sleeper too and I used to wake up in soaking wet cotton sheets (even with A/C). Not so with linen sheets. They breathe better and dry very quickly. For people who like a tidy-looking bedroom, the wrinkly look can be a turnoff however.

I am a warmer sleeper, we sleep with windows cracked and I really love our cotton flannel.
DS, DSIL and both GS are all HOT sleepers--may have to check into linen sheets for them! Early Christmas gift :)

For the hot sleepers that like a comforter, try a silk duvet. Keeps you unbelievably cool as well as provides warmth when needed. Also expensive. I got mine at one of the Costco road shows years and years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may give them a try. Night sweats if temp not just right. Used to love Charisma sheets back in the day but these days find that cotton flannel is the best bet for not sweating.

Midpack,
ms gamboolgal has always been a hot sleeper.
We just ordered linen sheets and a pile of stuff from Brooklinen.
Looking forward to seeing how they work out.
thanks for your post...
gamboolman....

Nice tip and worth looking into. An aside: sometimes “night sweats” can be related to glucose levels (low, aka hypoglycemia). An annual physical can help identify this.

I wanted to try linen sheets a while ago for hot sleeping but didn't really want to spend the $200+ for decent sheets so I tried Target's Threshold 55/45 linen/cotton blend sheets. I find they are are a lot cooler than my old percale cotton sheets. I can't compare them to the 100% linen, but I only paid $45 for a king set during a white sale and am pretty satisfied. Maybe next time I'll blow that dough and spring for the 100% linen.

Midpack,
ms gamboolgal has always been a hot sleeper.
We just ordered linen sheets and a pile of stuff from Brooklinen.
Looking forward to seeing how they work out.
thanks for your post...
gamboolman....
Brooklinen is good stuff, but their linen sheets are not quite as soft. So you may question them until they’ve been washed a couple or more times. We have Brooklinen sateen sheets, they’re outstanding for Fall and Winter. And Brooklinen pillowcase construction is the bomb, everyone should use their construction.

I've never tried linen sheets, so I'll have to look into it.

For those who want something inexpensive, I found some awesome sheets for the hot sleepers among us.

https://www.amazon.com/Mellanni-Bed...&qid=1591551962&sprefix=mellan,aps,186&sr=8-5

These are very, very soft and don't wrinkle. They are on the thin side, so if being able to see through your fitted sheet to every stitch in the mattress pad bothers you, then get a dark or patterned color. For instance, the yellow is dark enough but the mint green is pretty see-through.

Between us and the kids, we've had seven sets of sheets and are going on six years with them. The sheets have held up well, no pilling, and the elastic on the fitted sheets are still perfect.

I’ve also read bamboo sheets are good for hot sleepers and they’re much less expensive. But I was determined to try linen as they have a long history of being thermo regulating, cool in summer and warm in winter, whereas bamboo (and cotton percale) is good for hot sleepers only.

I have 100% viscose bamboo sheets for use during the summer. $100 bucks or so. MUCH cooler than whatever I had before that. I use some basic sheets fall to spring. The bamboo can't be put in the dryer if thats important to you. I line dry all my clothes so it doesn't bother me.

There are different types of bamboo sheets. Get 100% viscose. It will be 94* here Tues and Wed and I'll be cool all night.

I like flannel. Summer and winter. Spring & fall too.

I avoid high thread count sheets as I get too warm. Am fine with the cheapest thin sheets available. Also sleep with one leg out of sheets usually unless getting cold.

We tried bamboo sheets last fall and really like them.

Thank you Midpak and others for this topic.

ms gamboolgal and I ordered a set of linen sheets to conduct a experiment. We just received and tried out a set of Linen Sheets from Brooklinen.

ms gamboolgal explained to me that the order had to include pillow cases, sets of towels, etc....not just sheets....

All I can say is that we both do like them very much and ms gamboolgal who sleeps hot and flops around alot loves the linen sheets.
So life is good.

We have just placed a order for another ~$2k worth of sheets and bedding stuff.....must have pillow cases, quilts, shams, more sets of different colors of sheets, towels and other accoutrements

And ms gamboolgal checked with #1 daughter and we'll toss in some linen sheets....with extra's and all the trimmings mentioned above for her also.

All good stuff and we do appreciate the heads up on the Linen sheets and bedding.

Must take care of them Texas gals....

Lifes A Dance And You Learn As You Go

gamboolman....
JtkqMg6m.png

Thank you Midpak and others for this topic.

ms gamboolgal and I ordered a set of linen sheets to conduct a experiment. We just received and tried out a set of Linen Sheets from Brooklinen.
Glad you like them too. We've got three weeks use out of ours, and I am sad to go back to cotton sheets for a couple weeks even though ours are good quality. Our linen set is Snowe, but I may buy a Brooklinen set too - a little less $ but reportedly not as soft when new, but they all soften with each washing. I wish we didn't already have three good quality, reasonable new sets of cotton sheets...

Midpack, et al.,

ms gamboolgal just ordered a set of Snowe's...... She likes the linens....ha

I do too and am glad to compare the two mfg's.

Will post back on the comparison of the two.

gamboolman....

We have purchased the Snowe's and the Broolinens and have been using both after being washed alot.

Snowes are softer for sure.

But we like them both - just a different feel.

Knowing what we know now - we would order the Snowes.

ms gamboolgal has told me that she will be ordering more Snowes in the future

wife is a hot sleeper, so I bought her a chilipad, twin size reconditioned. have had it for two years now, will never go back, nothing else compares, it actually gets too cold for her at times. since it is a twin size it doesn't bother me at all

We have purchased the Snowe's and the Broolinens and have been using both after being washed alot.

Snowes are softer for sure.

But we like them both - just a different feel.

Knowing what we know now - we would order the Snowes.

ms gamboolgal has told me that she will be ordering more Snowes in the future
We broke down and bought Brooklinen linen sheets too. While the Snowe’s are softer to start, the difference is subtle, and we’re banking on both to soften with each washing. We bought King sets with 4 pillowcases and the Snowe’s cost us $400+ whereas the Brooklinen’s were $300+. I’m not sure the Snowe difference is worth a $100 premium and we like the Brooklinen (envelope closure) pillowcases better. YMMV

The only problem now is what to do with the premium sateen sheets we have - guess we’ll use them in winter...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom