Calif Dive Boat Fire

candrew

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A 75-foot dive boat, the Conception, is on fire off the coast of Southern California in the Channel Islands National Park. At least 34 people are missing. Five people have been rescued, according to the Coast Guard.

There are "numerous fatalities," according to Bill Nash of Ventura County PIO.

The Conception is a live aboard dive boat run by Truth Aquatics out of Santa Barbara. I've done several dive trips some years ago on the Conception and another T.A. boat, the Vision. Always found T.A. to be a quality operation.

According to news reports, it seems that the 5 people rescued are crew members. No word on any passengers.

So so sad. Used to dive on this boat.

Really really hoping for a good outcome here but that bunkroom is really really small and not easy to get out of :( ~30 people likely down there when the fire broke out I hear

So so sad. Used to dive on this boat.

Really really hoping for a good outcome here but that bunkroom is really really small and not easy to get out of :( ~30 people likely down there when the fire broke out I hear

Passengers below may have succumbed to smoke inhalation long before the bunk room was engulfed in flames. IRC, the engine room was immediately adjacent to the passengers' sleeping quarters and crew members quartered themselves topside in the salon area.

By the time the crew were aware of the fire, it was probably too late for them to do anything but save themselves.

My wife and I have also done trips on this boat. Unbelievably sad.

This is very sad. My heart weeps for the families.

I know little about boats and nautical issues. What kind of fire alarm system do these boats have?

Last edited:
What kind of fire alarm system do these boats have?

Good question Chuck. I've done several live aboard dive trips with Truth Aquatics, a couple of them on the Conception and can't answer that question! The sleeping berths below deck are in fairly tight quarters and one would think that CO and/or smoke detectors would be a Coast Guard requirement. Apart from a narrow stair case and hatch door, I don't know if there were any other emergency exits that would allow those below deck to escape. Stupid me - I was only thinking about scuba diving and meals while on those live aboard trips.

Very sad. I agree that Truth Aquatics has a great reputation of being a high quality operator.

I saw the sad news earlier.

Just now, out of curiosity, found out what the sleeping quarter for guests looks like. They are 3-level bunk beds. There's only one staircase up to the level higher, it looks like.

conception-bunk-layout.png

conception.bmp

Here is a video from a person who has gone diving from the Conception giving tribute to those aboard this morning. He also includes footage of the vessel from his time onboard.

Such a very sad incident for all the individuals and their loved ones...

A sad, tragic event. It may not have mattered (ie, everyone succumbed to smoke), but in these days, I'm surprised that a single exit/hatch was allowed for so many souls.

So I only saw a brief snippet on the news but they were replaying the SOS call and the guy taking the call said something to the effect of "So the doors are locked and people are inside? Is there anyway for you to get back on board and unlock the doors?"
Why would any doors be locked? It seemed the crew was already off the boat. Maybe the caller said the doors were "blocked" and the operator heard it as "locked"? IDK, just sounded very strange. And remember I wasn't really paying attention, but he definitely said "locked" and they even had the words on the screen.

Why would any doors be locked? It seemed the crew was already off the boat. Maybe the caller said the doors were "blocked" and the operator heard it as "locked"? IDK, just sounded very strange. And remember I wasn't really paying attention, but he definitely said "locked" and they even had the words on the screen.

I've been on similar boats for extended fishing trips, the doors are never locked, the heads are usually located outside the sleeping quarters. If the door was blocked by fire there is no other way out. Very sad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom