California Long-Term

Oh, sorry. The 'State of Jefferson' is, approximately, the southern most Counties in Oregon, and northern most Counties in California. During the Civil War many of the residents aligned with the secessionists, they were immigrants from Missouri. I understand there was more than one fight in the bars over this issue. Some of my ancestors were doubtless in the middle of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(Pacific_state)

Even today there is a large billboard off I-5 in Siskiyou or Shasta County proclaiming the 'State of Jefferson'. Today this is a reflection of the desire of some residents to secede from the State of California. Politically these counties are conservative (vs moderate or liberal).

Last edited:
I'm always amused at the attitude folks from other states take towards Illinois, California, and a few other places while cheerfully ignoring the financial situation of the USA.
The article makes some valid points but I've lived in CA for most of the last 33 years and I have noticed that about every five years someone writes CA's obituary.
I've lived in Northern California all my life. Beautiful state. In the state park behind us the creatures have no plans to move. We're staying too. A few problems, what do you expect with a 37 million human population? P.S. Some of the comments here make me think some people are "regionally challenged". I like to think we are all Americans first.

"I'm always amused" that long time CA residents who already have
  • established CA jobs/income,
  • property in CA - presumably own homes outright after so many years, maybe bought before real estate prices went thru the roof, and
  • grandfathered CA property tax increase protection
think someone like the OP from AZ and other out of state posters should have the same perspective & outlook as "33 year" and "all my life" CA residents. On top of the Federal fiscal concerns that impact all of us, CA faces more acute fiscal and other issues, seems like valid concerns for someone thinking of relocating. There's a reason population growth in CA has been at an all time low over the past 10 years or so.

This is again Prius owners expecting to convert Hummer owners and vice versa... :yawn:

Last edited:
What I said is merely an opinion from one Californian. I'm not saying others should conform to my opinion.

I stopped my 30 year long subscription to the WSJ in 2008 because it was costly and not adding value -- particularly the op-ed section which has a known political bias.

Here is perhaps a more objective view of the state's financial health. I'm not an expert on muni bonds and never owned any. With that proviso, if we compare the returns of some state long term muni bond funds from Vanguard we see there was a correction in 2008 where Calif bonds showed a relative decline. After that things have tracked pretty closely with other states. I think those markets know a lot more about the state's financial health then we posters here.

Chart of California LT bonds versus Florida and Ohio. Note we are not in Greek territory yet. The California fund has a 2.70% yield, Florida 2.65%, Ohio 2.59%.

2wfv4vo.jpg

Oh, sorry. The 'State of Jefferson' is, approximately, the southern most Counties in Oregon, and northern most Counties in California. During the Civil War many of the residents aligned with the secessionists, they were immigrants from Missouri. I understand there was more than one fight in the bars over this issue. Some of my ancestors were doubtless in the middle of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_(Pacific_state)

Even today there is a large billboard off I-5 in Siskiyou or Shasta County proclaiming the 'State of Jefferson'. Today this is a reflection of the desire of some residents to secede from the State of California. Politically these counties are conservative (vs moderate or liberal).
The counties may be, but Ashland ain't.:)

Ashland is a case unto itself. :rolleyes:

Great town to visit, their theaters attract a huge following, but.. the only place in Oregon with a sales tax. There is a tax on restraunt meals for the purpose of helping pay for their new sewer treatment plant. The theory is that all those visitors use their toilets and the process starts with dining establishments.

Stay in Medford (10 miles north), pack a box lunch, and do your thing. :LOL:

Last edited:
I lived most of my life in California and there's a part of me that would love to go back to nicer weather and closer to old friends and family (not the Bay Area, though, more likely the Sierra foothills).

But given the political situation, the fiscal situation, the constant budgetary crises, a state income tax that can hit 9.3% with a $50K taxable income (and that ain't much in California), the massive property tax subsidy new homeowners give to those have owned for 30 years... I don't see it happening.

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

"I'm always amused" that long time CA residents who already have
  • established CA jobs/income,
  • property in CA - presumably own homes outright after so many years, maybe bought before real estate prices went thru the roof, and
  • grandfathered CA property tax increase protection
think someone like the OP from AZ and other out of state posters should have the same perspective & outlook as "33 year" and "all my life" CA residents. On top of the Federal fiscal concerns that impact all of us, CA faces more acute fiscal and other issues, seems like valid concerns for someone thinking of relocating. There's a reason population growth in CA has been at an all time low over the past 10 years or so.

Of course I don't think those from out of state should have the same perspective or outlook that I do, nor did I perceive that tone in any other "I live in CA" post. I just thought we were sharing ideas about how we may have considered CA and its troubles in our retirement plans.

I didn't see that the issue was limited to those planning to relocate to CA. Maybe I misunderstood the OP.

For myself, I only shared those things that have entered in our consideration when thinking about whether to stay or go. I have lived in southern Illinois and southern Louisiana as well as in parts of TX and northern and southern CA. DH has lived in NC for a while while serving in the Army and has spent time in AZ and TX.

Living in those areas has helped us think about what is important to us in this time of our lives.

We got dragged up to the Bay Area from SoCal for DH's job 32 years ago. We didn't choose to come here. We owned a little house in San Diego Co., and when we moved up here, our house payment for the same kind of house was about double. The guy who moved us up here said we would take "a shellacking," and he was right.

Now that we have a choice, we are taking the time to look around and see if there is some place we would like better.

So far we haven't found it, but we have had many conversations about what we find appealing and what we don't choose to live with or without.

I would love to have more space around me than the 6000SF tract home lot that I live on; I would love to have more inside space than the 1400 SF I have. I would love to have a home newer than 50 years old (and it's not even a cute Victorian.)

On the other hand, as we age, that means that much less that we have to take care of or pay to heat and water.

You sure don't get a lot of house for your money in the Bay Area, but we all make tradeoffs, don't we?

Last edited by a moderator:
...(snip)...
I would love to have more space around me than the 6000SF tract home lot that I live on; I would love to have more inside space than the 1400 SF I have. I would love to have a home newer that 50 years old (and it's not even a cute Victorian.)

On the other hand, as we age, that means that much less that we have to take care of or pay to heat and water.

You sure don't get a lot of house for your money in the Bay Area, but we all make tradeoffs, don't we?
We lived in a 1500 SF house in Silicon Valley for 25 years. We fixed it up a lot but it was indeed small. The housing prices have been (relatively) outrageous for decades now.

I did a transfer 15 years ago to a city north of San Francisco. Better housing prices for what you get but still high.

The good news is that if you've been getting the good metropolitan pay that comes with a Bay Area job and if you've experienced the housing appreciation, then you are in a great financial position to make a move eventually -- as we did.

BTW, our son is graduating from college in San Diego and may have a job down there. He wants to stay in California for now. So I anticipate getting to see the situation from a younger person's perspective. Of course, right now he just would be happy in a nice apartment with a compatible roommate -- no desire to buy a house at present.

True. Going from a 2500 sqft house in the South to a 1100 sqft apartment in San Francisco. Rent on the apartment will be 6 times as high as the mortgage payments on the house. Worth it? I think so.

Back
Top Bottom