Calling a Cruise Ship Home: See the World, See it Again

In theory this sounds very appealing to me. But when DH and I went on a 3 week Panama Canal cruise two years ago, we couldn't wait to get off the ship. 3 weeks of having to eat every meal in a restaurant, and sharing a tiny little room and single bathroom, was enough for me.
The longest cruise we were on was 32 days, from Buenos Aires to Los Angeles. Because of the length of the cruise, we opted for a minisuite instead of a balcony room. There were a number of sea days, and we enjoyed sitting on our balcony with our readers and our mini speakers playing music, and an occasional adult beverage.
The best part was not having to fly home. Also because we were frequent cruisers with that line we got free laundry!

Last edited:
We have done quite a few cruises. The longest was 18 days. In the past we often combined a cruise with an extended land trip. We would do independent land travel but keep our eye out for last minute cruise offers.

We find that after 14/15 days we are ready to jump ship. Food all starts to taste the same. The cabin is very Marriott like, ie no personality. We start to miss spending more time in port stops than is allowed. We just did a 15 day cruise but wrapped a nine week trip around it. We much prefer independent travel and local ambiance ashore.

28 days in 2014. 14 day Copenhagen to Copenhagen loop, followed by a 14 day repositioning cruise (same vessel, the Norwegian Star), Copenhagen to Miami.

Lucky enough to have some fun bad weather, with a number of good high waves, on the first part.......the price was right, the ship, not so much......for us to sail with Norwegian Cruise Line, (NCL), again, the price would have to be very good.

We thought that we would like to do a river cruise. Then we did one day river cruise in Austria (Wachau Valley) and decided that it would was for us. We will stick to land travel Europe. Besides, based on how we travel, there is too much cost and too little value for us.

I thought that I would want to do a Panama Canal cruise. Went to Panama a few weeks ago. Loved Panama,spent lots of time at the locks, but realized two things. I would not want to necessarily spend a day going through the locks nor are the cruise ports in Panama etc. the places in Panama places where we really want to go. Same for the Costa Rica ports.

I saw a NCL (I think) 49 day cruise from Seattle to Alaska, Hawaii, French Polynesia, and Australia that could be had from ~$120/day/person. That is within our annual budget if it could be sustained.

Lucky enough to have some fun bad weather, with a number of good high waves....
We had some not fun bad weather on our 8 day small yacht cruise of the Dalmatian Islands. A cyclone struck when we were between the islands heading back to Dubrovnik. Being on the upper deck, the waves were crashing against our cabin wall over the deck and leaking through the window. There was 3 inches of water in the stateroom and everything was floating. After 90 minutes, we were out of it and then had a party of the survivors in the main dining room. But we would not recommend that experience to any land-lubbers.

We had some not fun bad weather on our 8 day small yacht cruise of the Dalmatian Islands. A cyclone struck when we were between the islands heading back to Dubrovnik. Being on the upper deck, the waves were crashing against our cabin wall over the deck and leaking through the window. There was 3 inches of water in the stateroom and everything was floating. After 90 minutes, we were out of it and then had a party of the survivors in the main dining room. But we would not recommend that experience to any land-lubbers.

Waves are always more fun when you're pretty sure you're not going to sink......on one sailboat trip, from Friday Harbor to Port Townsend, in the mid 1990s, I had an overwhelming feeling that we were going to founder...a whole 'nother perspective. :sick:

In theory this sounds very appealing to me. But when DH and I went on a 3 week Panama Canal cruise two years ago, we couldn't wait to get off the ship. 3 weeks of having to eat every meal in a restaurant, and sharing a tiny little room and single bathroom, was enough for me.
Thank you for your post. It confirms my suspicion. My husband and I never been to a cruise. I don't like confined space either. I don't have a small RV for that particular reason. Confined space, over eating, tiny little bathroom. No way. Let's hope beans were not on the menu often.

Last edited:
Couple of comments
If you do not like a tiny room pop for a minisuite
As far as eating, on any decent ship there are many venues: Buffet, room service, alternative restaurants. We did all of the above.
One comment that I got some flack for was about the lack of seasoning in the restaurant meals. IMO, the seasonings are dumbed down for meat and potatoes tastes.

~32 shipboard days on our next trip.....start in Puerto Limón, Costa Rica...end in Bergen, Norway..........thence Poland. Eagerly awaiting the starter's gun.

Waves are always more fun when you're pretty sure you're not going to sink......on one sailboat trip, from Friday Harbor to Port Townsend, in the mid 1990s, I had an overwhelming feeling that we were going to founder...a whole 'nother perspective. :sick:
The yacht had just been fit up for cruising in May and we were there in September.

Most of the complaints like the stateroom windows leaking were known problems and would be fixed after the season. Same with all the doors swinging and banging against the walls....

Back
Top Bottom