Can Do - Things You're Really Good At!

Cooking
Fixing things
Working on engines of all types
Making DW and kids laugh (and sometimes other people!)
Drinking beer at parties
Getting up early (unless I've been drinking beer at parties)
Going to bed early (unless I've been drinking beer at parties)
Grinding my teeth (especially after drinking beer at parties)
Growing grass
Mowing grass
Cleaning when I'm in the mood to do it
Doing what DW tells me to do:angel:

Things I want to get good at but am not yet:
Surfing-- taking way longer to get really good due to not enough practice I guess.
Running, working out-- started this to keep in shape for surfing since the surf here in Texas is pretty sporatic to say the least. I really hate running while I do it but it makes me feel good a few hours afterwards. Also work out on my crazy paddling maching to keep the arms and shoulders in shape.

Things I probably will never be good at:
Golf-- not willing to take the time to practice enough evidently and I don't enjoy looking stupid out there hitting every tree on the course and having 70 year old ladies play through because I'm so slow. It's really embarrassing to me that I can't hit that #$%&@ ball straight.

I notice only one person said he was really good at golf overall. Maybe that's why I don't want to put in the time to do it, because I hear so many folks say they have been playing for years and still suck. I hate to suck at stuff, and if I do I generally give it up and go to the next activity. So I guess I'm good at quitting as well! :LOL:

I think putting the time in is crucial. You can never get really good at something until you do it so often you can almost do it in your sleep. Malcolm Gladwell makes this point in Outliers and calls it the 10,000 hour rule. He notes that (for example) the Beatles did not simply burst on the scene in 1964: they spent many nights honing their music in obscure Hamburg nightclubs. And why is residency training at least three years? 3300 hours x 3 = 10,000.....when I finished residency (5 years), I was at my most competent ever as a physician. (It's been downhill from there).....

...when I finished residency (5 years), I was at my most competent ever as a physician. (It's been downhill from there).....
:LOL:
I think putting the time in is crucial. You can never get really good at something until you do it so often you can almost do it in your sleep. Malcolm Gladwell makes this point in Outliers and calls it the 10,000 hour rule. He notes that (for example) the Beatles did not simply burst on the scene in 1964: they spent many nights honing their music in obscure Hamburg nightclubs.
I don't always agree with Gladwell, but on this point I believe he nailed it. I've been trying to explain this to my kids, with gradual (and begrudged) success. You have to have a passion about something you want to be really good at, and then devote yourself by putting in the time to learn by doing. Which of course means lots of failing from which your passion for the subject will fire you to go back and try again, again, and again. Adapt, overcome and succeed.

Hmmm - knitting, playing badminton, snow skiing, swimming, analyzing systems, writing technical information for non-technical people, presenting the information, understanding strategy to tactics processes, cooking, driving fast :), traveling - am able to go anywhere and figure out what to do and where to do it - does involve some research and practice over the years, stripping marketing veneer from product specifications and breaking it down to a functional system diagram :)

Even the above, I may think I'm good at it, but there are people who are much better than I - however, man's reach should exceed his grasp, so honing and practicing and knowing there is another level of attainment helps.

So THAT's where that "Savage Ice" jewelry comes from :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Boy, these diamonds in the rough are ugly!

No matter though. I am not gonna produce anymore in order to have a "collection". :nonono:

I'm a great entertainer . I can throw everything from a big bash to a small dinner party with not a lot of effort . I'm also a great present giver because I listen to people and they always give hints of what they would like . I also am a pretty good cook when I make the effort and lastly if they gave olympic medals for sleeping I'd win gold !

Back
Top Bottom