Can I still buy a dumb TV?

Lots of used stuff out there practically being given away. Everybody thinks they need a new 75" 5G TV.

They do make it difficult to NOT use the smart TV features! But if you don't connect your WiFi and don't connect your phone, you have a dumb TV. But it is even "dumber" than a TV designed without smart TV (spying) features. So I like the OP topic to discover true dumb TV's. Monitors are "too dumb" because they have no internal tuner. It's that spot in the middle, where all TV's used to be that's disappearing.

They do make it difficult to NOT use the smart TV features!
I don't think it's that hard at all. Most TVs will return to the input you used last. So if you have satellite or cable on HDMI 1, it just stays on there unless you want to use the smart TV or another input. If you use a DVD player regularly as well, you might have to take a few minutes one time to delete the smart TV options so you only see HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

And right now, I use my fire stick rather than the built-in smart function. It always goes to the HDMI input I use for the fire stick. I never see the smart TV functions.

Thanks. I was hoping for something bigger than 32 - perhaps 43-50. Not giant or what most people these days think is "normal".

Last edited:
Don't worry about buying a dumb TV. Just buy whatever you want and ignore the built-in smart functions. I don't know anybody that uses it. Streaming boxes are faster, cheap to buy, and the software is updated continuously.

We have a Fire TV Cube that's plugged into our AVR, which has a single HDMI out to the TV. That's the only input we ever use. We don't even have the TVs hooked up to the network so the "smart" functions are disabled. In this setup, our TV is just a monitor.

Don't worry about buying a dumb TV. Just buy whatever you want and ignore the built-in smart functions. I don't know anybody that uses it. Streaming boxes are faster, cheap to buy, and the software is updated continuously.

We have a Fire TV Cube that's plugged into our AVR, which has a single HDMI out to the TV. That's the only input we ever use. We don't even have the TVs hooked up to the network so the "smart" functions are disabled. In this setup, our TV is just a monitor.

I agree. Not sure why you want a dumb tv but unless you’re saving money and still getting the style and size of tv you want, I’d just get a smart tv and not use the smart functions. I have two smart TVs and don’t use the smart functions in favor of my Roku on one and Apple TV on the other.

I recently bought my daughter a new Vizio 43" TV and it took me a while to figure out how to just watch TV. TV's are obviously geared toward streaming services these days. Watching over-the-air TV from an external antenna was almost an after thought. I never did find a menu selection for TV channels, I had to use the input button on the remote to switch.

I wouldn't mind all the streaming options if there was a way to pick and choose which icons I wanted on the screen. For instance, one for TV, one for Netflix, one for an HDMI input. Unfortunately, the TV's we have only allow you to change the order of services. You can't remove services you're not interested in, or don't have access to.

I guess simplicity is no longer a thing...

I recently bought my daughter a new Vizio 43" TV and it took me a while to figure out how to just watch TV. TV's are obviously geared toward streaming services these days. Watching over-the-air TV from an external antenna was almost an after thought. I never did find a menu selection for TV channels, I had to use the input button on the remote to switch.

I wouldn't mind all the streaming options if there was a way to pick and choose which icons I wanted on the screen. For instance, one for TV, one for Netflix, one for an HDMI input. Unfortunately, the TV's we have only allow you to change the order of services. You can't remove services you're not interested in, or don't have access to.

The input is the key if you don't choose smartcast, airplay or watch free you essentially have a dumb tv. However it should be noted that vizio does include apps to watch youtube (also youtube tv) but youtube is free and has a lot of relaxation videos. such as multi hour drone flights or underwater videos. Depending on your cable system if you have digital cable system you can just plug the box into the input and essentially all you use the tv remote for is to change the volume or turn the set on or off.

We have a so called smart TV, but it is being used as a dumb HD monitor. I do not even have an internet connection to it, except when I check for firmware updates, which is rare. All our control is done in a "Central Command" closet that is not even near the TV. There is a hardwired UHD TV HDMI cable running through the attic to a drop to the TV. Oh and of course an IR TX for centralized control.

I have 2 Media player boxes and an AVR that do all the distribution. Everything goes into the AVR and is switched via a whole house RF controller.

Don't need no stinking Smart TV, probably never will.

You would be guessing wrong.

My Hisense TV has the Roku streaming service built-in and will let me delete channel icons from the home screen. I don't subscribe to Netflix or Hulu so those were the first to be deleted. I think I have seven icons listed and that includes "Cable Box" for Comcast and "TV Antenna" for over the air reception.

Another TV brand that has Roku built in is TCL.

I don't think it's that hard at all. Most TVs will return to the input you used last. So if you have satellite or cable on HDMI 1, it just stays on there unless you want to use the smart TV or another input. If you use a DVD player regularly as well, you might have to take a few minutes one time to delete the smart TV options so you only see HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

And right now, I use my fire stick rather than the built-in smart function. It always goes to the HDMI input I use for the fire stick. I never see the smart TV functions.
The Visio I have came with a very basic remote control (power on and input selection). If you want to do anything else, you need to agree to be spied upon, install their app, and only then can you actually get to the controls for the TVs settings.

It's nice to have a burner phone, reset to factory and a new account of "Joe Blow" and at least then when they spy on you, they have a harder time linking that to the real you.

I bought a smart Tv in 2013 or so. Today, the smart features are largely obsolete. Firmware and app updates stopped years ago. IMO, it makes more sense in the long run to connect an external smart device to a dumb TV if “smarts” is what one is looking for.

I have bought DW a 19" Vizio dumb tv for the kitchen and DM a 36" Vizio dumb tv for her living room. Both really happy with the quality and picture.
The Vizio "dumb" tvs seem to go up to 39"

We have a 42" LG "dumb" tv that is about 5 years old and we love it. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Get the streaming stuff via a Chromecast in the HDMI port and "ahem" "appropriated" material off the internet via another HDMI cable to the other port.

No buggy apps, no updates that don't work, no spying, no bricking or planned obsolescence.

I found 43" computer monitors, but as others have said, you'd probably be better off finding the best TV for you based on viewing features and price, and ignore the smart features, if that's what you want.

I was planning on doing the same, but I found that my new(ish) Samsung TV was actually faster than any of my Rokus, which I love, and I could rearrange or remove the apps, so I'm using the TV apps instead.

Last edited:
Before Christmas, I bought a 50" cheapo Roku television at Walmart for $148. I can get Roku, Netflix and Dish TV on it--more than I have time to see.

I just wish I'd bought their whole inventory. The picture's great too.

Back
Top Bottom