DVR - What to buy and what can it record

We record OTA with an older Tablo with a separate HD. It has 2 OTA tuners so can record 2 channels at the same time and uses our WiFi for either watching Live OTA, or any of its recordings on any smart TV on the network. So far it has been pretty good. We haven't come across any streaming channels that we have felt need to record from (yet?).
Maybe the older Tablo is more reliable. There's been some more negative feedback about the 4th gen Tablo on here lately:

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f54/how-do-you-get-live-tv-120317-4.html#post3044057

It hasn't for me. It just added something new to the mix. I can't give up the DVR.

I used to use SageTV and then MythTV with Hauppage TV tuner cards as well. That was 25-30 years ago and that computer is long gone. I don't miss those days, today's technology is so much better and reliable. I bet there are fewer than 1,000 guys out there doing what you're still doing. I commend you for hanging in for so long.

With so much available on demand these days from so many sources the need for a DVR seems greatly diminished to me. We still use ours (on DirecTV) but as time goes by it's needed less and less. We still use it for some news or talk shows but that's about it.

I used to use SageTV and then MythTV with Hauppage TV tuner cards as well. That was 25-30 years ago and that computer is long gone. I don't miss those days, today's technology is so much better and reliable. I bet there are fewer than 1,000 guys out there doing what you're still doing. I commend you for hanging in for so long.
I bought SageTV originally in 2004 - 20 years ago. I'm actually on my 4th computer, but the previous 3 had been used for years before they were put in place as my SageTV server. Finally, I built one new from new parts in 2014 for SageTV. And it "just works" with no fussing. Yeah, there probably aren't many people using SageTV anymore.
With so much available on demand these days from so many sources the need for a DVR seems greatly diminished to me. We still use ours (on DirecTV) but as time goes by it's needed less and less. We still use it for some news or talk shows but that's about it.
I really appreciate the DVR functionality for my OTA recordings, especially NFL football, but I also watch news shows and misc. things on there, almost always DVRed.

Last edited:
There are network based tuners that don't require a capture card or even a PC. But there are actually quite a few software packages / apps than be used. They aren't going away any time soon with OTA still free and available to the masses. I've been using the same DVR software for many years with no plan to give it DVRing my OTA broadcast reception, although I might change software. I'm less likely to use one of those cheap boxes linked to.

It might not align with your views, but you need to think outside the box and not realize everyone has the same needs.

Can you elaborate on how these network-based tuners record connection-based streams (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube TV, F1TV, NFL+, et. al.) where those connections are secured with credentials and location verification? I have put a lot of thought into this and I have not found any universal DVR capability (cloud, H/W or otherwise) for these secure connection streams.

You mention "quite a few" software packages and apps that do this. Can you elaborate and share some of this?

Hauppauge tuner cards. It simply writes the stream directly to the hard drive, so there's no qualify loss.
I had forgotten about it but I have one of those. It was still working when I retired that system 5 or 6 years ago. I have no need to dig it out again but I may some day just to play with it.

Last edited:
We have Dish Network, which has a robust DVR system. We rarely watch anything live, even the local news. Also Amazon Prime. DS has Netflix and lives with us so we can access that as well.

Can you elaborate on how these network-based tuners record connection-based streams (Netflix, Amazon, YouTube TV, F1TV, NFL+, et. al.) where those connections are secured with credentials and location verification? I have put a lot of thought into this and I have not found any universal DVR capability (cloud, H/W or otherwise) for these secure connection streams.

You mention "quite a few" software packages and apps that do this. Can you elaborate and share some of this?
Hello, the network based tuner was in response to the comment "hack something yourself using a video capture card and some DVR software that you can run on a local computer." Basically, an HD Home Run which attaches to the network replaces the need for a capture card and can eliminate the need for a regular computer with card slots. This is for an OTA tuner, not streaming services. The same thing with the software DVR apps (I listed some a few posts back, but they aren't relevant to streaming, either.)

Thanks for all the replies.
It looks like it is not as easy as I remember with a VCR way back when. The PlayOn looks interesting. The Antenna Man video was informative.
The ClonerAlliance box looks to be something. Just the price is kinda high. It does say it does not work if "content protected by HDCP" but there is a work around:
https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Bypassing-HDCP/

I used this for a DVR device from years ago (AVerMedia EZRecorder) but it was hard finding a HDMI splitter that would work. I bought several before coming across one. The link at the site above is the one that worked for me. The AverMedia box was too complicated for me. Since thrown out and also not available anymore at Amazon.

I tend to go back and forth with Pluto tv and Youtube. I have many channels I subscribe to. Rarely watching OTA tv except older shows. With cloud DVR you are a data point to be collected.

Thanks for all the replies.
It looks like it is not as easy as I remember with a VCR way back when. The PlayOn looks interesting. The Antenna Man video was informative.
The ClonerAlliance box looks to be something. Just the price is kinda high. It does say it does not work if "content protected by HDCP" but there is a work around:
https://www.instructables.com/How-to-Bypassing-HDCP/

I used this for a DVR device from years ago (AVerMedia EZRecorder) but it was hard finding a HDMI splitter that would work. I bought several before coming across one. The link at the site above is the one that worked for me. The AverMedia box was too complicated for me. Since thrown out and also not available anymore at Amazon.
I got one of those HDMI splitters years ago that supposedly would do that, but I ended up not even taking it out of the box. It looks almost identical to the one linked to. I can't even remember what I was planning to do now.

I tend to go back and forth with Pluto tv and Youtube. I have many channels I subscribe to. Rarely watching OTA tv except older shows. With cloud DVR you are a data point to be collected.
You will be a data point, anyway, DVR or not. So, if you want some free DVR time, just sign up for Sling Freestream. You get 10 hours of DVR, no fee, and many of the same channels a Pluto TV.

Attachments

• freedvr.jpg
    freedvr.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 5
I use a software package called Channels DVR that runs on an old Mac Mini computer to record shows off of YouTubeTV and local channels off of a 4 channel HDHomeRun network tuner. The DVR interfaces with my TV's running their own app that runs on most devices except for Roku boxes.
The local channels record flawlessly and the DVR also has commercial detection that skips over commercials way better than my Tivo did. Recording channels from YouTubeTV works using a platform called TV Everywhere (TVE) which is what a lot of stations use to allow customers to watch their shows with a computer. The flaw with TVE is that no locals are available, and some companies don't support it so the available stations is limited, and it depends on the streaming provider how many stations are available.
I prefer a local DVR for the commercial skipping capabilities and the speed of fast forwarding and rewinding. Channels DVR works fairly well for my needs, but it's not for the casual user and requires some computer savvy to set up and maintain.

Hello, the network based tuner was in response to the comment "hack something yourself using a video capture card and some DVR software that you can run on a local computer." Basically, an HD Home Run which attaches to the network replaces the need for a capture card and can eliminate the need for a regular computer with card slots. This is for an OTA tuner, not streaming services. The same thing with the software DVR apps (I listed some a few posts back, but they aren't relevant to streaming, either.)

Thank you for the clarification. OTA doesn't work for us because we are blocked by the signal and too far away. When analog OTA was available we always had a marginal signal even with a rotor, very tall mast and high gain multi-element yagi antenna. Cable TV was great but things move on and streaming will become dominant. So my hack comment was geared towards where the industry is headed and not where it was or where it is dying now.

The wild card game that was exclusively on Peacock was the canary in the coal mine. Cable is dead, satellite is dying and streaming is the future. The only thing sustaining cable at this point are legacy contracts which are expiring now or expiring soon and the move to streaming is happening, like it or not. How many 20-somethings watch cable or satellite TV these days? They are the future and the content delivery and IP owners are going to have to adapt or die.

This video popped up at Youtube when I switched to it on the Roku box this evening. (being followed...)

Turn ANY Streaming Device Into a 4K DVR - Record ANYTHING!
Cloner-Alliance UHD Pro

Record any screen with a HDMI out.

Go to his main page> Videos and see other videos.

Unbelievable! This Device Records EVERYTHING (Almost)!
- newest version of the Cloner-Alliance

If you stream things, you are at the mercy of the provider for speed and not to insert anything. I don't do much streaming or on demand, and I guess if you pay, you have an expectation of getting what you paid for, and not getting something else pushed to you, or laggy service.

There's quite a few OTA recorders in this list https://schedulesdirect.org/approvedsoftware including the one I (still, after decades) program for. SchedulesDirect is a non-profit, but has paid employees. Users of those programs can choose to pay a subscription fee for the convenience of a supported source of programming data.

Last edited:
I bought SageTV originally in 2004 - 20 years ago. ... And it "just works" with no fussing. Yeah, there probably aren't many people using SageTV anymore.

I really appreciate the DVR functionality for my OTA recordings, especially NFL football, but I also watch news shows and misc. things on there, almost always DVRed.

I, too, have had SageTV for over 20 years. I am constantly amazed that a program that hasn't been upgraded (or even supported) in more than 10 years performs as well as or better than the current crop. In other words, I have had no issues with SageTV.

I also have the original Tablo that I find compares favorably with SageTV. I have, also, added the new version of Tablo but haven't spent much time with it since I was grandfathered into commercial skip on the earlier Tablo and the new version does not support that.

I do notice that the new Tablo has access to 158 channels at my Zip Code. (find your list at https://www.tablotv.com/shows-channels/#see-internet-channels) The older version only 85.

Now, having said that, I don't do much DVRing on other than OTA and PlayOn. However, my DirecTV Stream subscription lets me record any show they broadcast.

Oh! This is getting complicated (well, more complex). I opened Channels DVR (TV Everywhere) which I use to watch live shows. I discovered that one can record any show (Duh! It was in the name, after all.)

I also have a Amazon Recast in the attic in-line with an antenna. It drops the wireless connection once in awhile, requiring a trip up the ladder to the attic. But when it works, it works great and comes with a TV Guide for OTA channels. Pretty sure they stopped supporting them and selling them shortly after I bought mine.

I, too, have had SageTV for over 20 years. I am constantly amazed that a program that hasn't been upgraded (or even supported) in more than 10 years performs as well as or better than the current crop. In other words, I have had no issues with SageTV.
And I'm still using it. I also have a SageTV HD200.

I also have the original Tablo that I find compares favorably with SageTV. I have, also, added the new version of Tablo but haven't spent much time with it since I was grandfathered into commercial skip on the earlier Tablo and the new version does not support that.
A couple members here recently complained about Tablo issues with the 4th generation. I believe I linked to the comments in one of my earlier posts in this thread.

Now, having said that, I don't do much DVRing on other than OTA and PlayOn. However, my DirecTV Stream subscription lets me record any show they broadcast.
SageTV is my only DVR, so I only DVR OTA. Sling Freestream has 10 hours of free DVR, but that perk hasn't come to my existing account. I'm not paying for any streaming, but have access to Peacock Premium (it has no DVR).

Oh! This is getting complicated (well, more complex). I opened Channels DVR (TV Everywhere) which I use to watch live shows. I discovered that one can record any show (Duh! It was in the name, after all.)
Channels DVR looks like one of the better ones, and I read it can even schedule recording from Pluto TV with some additional setup. I've seen a few people report it being better than Plex. But there's a monthly/yearly fee, although that includes program guide schedule data which I don't currently get in SageTV (not using Schedules Direct), and Channels DVR doesn't support my Hauppauge cards or Roku.

Last edited:
Channels DVR looks like one of the better ones, and I read it can even schedule recording from Pluto TV with some additional setup. I've seen a few people report it being better than Plex. But there's a monthly/yearly fee, although that includes program guide schedule data which I don't currently get in SageTV (not using Schedules Direct), and Channels DVR doesn't support my Hauppauge cards or Roku.

Yes, Channels DVR can schedule recordings (as I mentioned, so can DirecTV Stream).

I have come to be very impressed with Plex and I don't give it all the praise it deserves. It has come a long way since I originally installed it. A long way from its roots in KODI.

I guess I don't have a problem with the (now) $35 annual subscription to Schedules Direct. It is cheaper than TV Guide. <chuckle> It is attached to several programs, so the cost is kinda spread out.

FWIW: I have three 4-tuner SiliconDust HDHome Run devices connected to my home theater PC.

I guess I don't have a problem with the (now) $35 annual subscription to Schedules Direct. It is cheaper than TV Guide. <chuckle> It is attached to several programs, so the cost is kinda spread out.
It's not bad, but I mostly record the same scheduled things on a timed schedule and only have 9 channels I ever watch, so I'm not mixing in much else on OTA outside of the NFL season that I need to check scheduling. I've gotten in the habit of just checking TitanTV on my phone if I want to see the schedule.

FWIW: I have three 4-tuner SiliconDust HDHome Run devices connected to my home theater PC.
That's 12 tuners! I only have 2 tuners. I actually have a 3rd tuner I never installed because I so rarely ever have any desire to record 3 things that have any overlap on the schedule. I should probably go ahead and install it, though. My Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 PCI card is the one that provides the remote sensor. My other cards are Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800 PCIe cards. I'm not sure if they can be used with Plex, either. I think NextPVR would support, but SageTV works well for me.

Last edited:
We have 7-Comcast boxes throughout the house so we can simultaneously record up to 7-programs offered on Comcast. Our Comcast DVR stores recordings in the 'cloud'.

I don't see a need to record pgms on streaming services such as Netflix and Prime Video as those services are stream-on-demand. Subscribers can view current and older movies and most episodic TV at will. We don't really use Pluto or similar services...are they also on-demand services? If so, why would one need a DVR?

We have 7-Comcast boxes throughout the house so we can simultaneously record up to 7-programs offered on Comcast. Our Comcast DVR stores recordings in the 'cloud'.

I don't see a need to record pgms on streaming services such as Netflix and Prime Video as those services are stream-on-demand. Subscribers can view current and older movies and most episodic TV at will. We don't really use Pluto or similar services...are they also on-demand services? If so, why would one need a DVR?
Pluto TV has 250+ live tv channels as well as on-demand. And it has ads as well.

Sling Freestream has over 400 live tv channels as well as on-demand, ad based, but it includes 10 hours of DVR. I assume the DVR is only for the live tv.

Last edited:
I don't see a need to record pgms on streaming services such as Netflix and Prime Video as those services are stream-on-demand. Subscribers can view current and older movies and most episodic TV at will.
I can. It happens when a TV series you want to binge watch disappears from all streaming services. There was a TV series my DW wanted to binge watch on HBO Max (the name of the series escapes me at the moment), but when the service evolved into Max, the series disappeared. It's been 10 months, and no one has streamed it.

That said, I don't see how one could easily DVR an on-demand show. Better off trying to find the TV show or movie on DVD/Blu-Ray and purchase that.

...snip...

Understood totally. I use a burner account for all of my streaming that is not connected in any way to my personal presence on the Internet. I realize this is a king-sized hassle but it is well worth it. A good burner account mechanism is very difficult to setup. It is not as simple as just creating a fake name and enrolling in Gmail. You need to be careful and only use VPN and not let it bleed onto any of your personal browser account cookie mix, either. You need to use an incognito browser and you need to avoid using the same browser you use for personal use. I have two burner IDs, one for casual use and one for serious use. The one for serious use only runs on Tails, uses a USB NIC I picked up in China that I paid cash for and the laptop it runs on is never connected to my home network, ever. The casual one is just to avoid being tracked for commercial purposes.

* I use a Tivo over the air DVR/4 tuner. I still use it a lot even with all of the streaming options.
* I also have an Amazon Recast 4 tuner DVR (records over the air) which I don't use as much as the Tivo but still use it because I can access the recordings and live TV through my Amazon Fire TV sticks AND through my Amazon Echo Shows.
* I use Sling TV and pay an extra $5/mo to record up to 200 hours on that as well. Sling TV has access to things that I can't record on my TIVO or Recast which is nice.

I probably won't buy another new DVR until there is a 4 tuner Nextgen/ATSC 3.0 DVR available. I live in the Dallas area and there are still only a few Nextgen/ATSC 3.0 stations to watch so at this time it wouldn't be worth it anyway.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom