Can you recommend a forum for caregivers?

gretah

Recycles dryer sheets
My dear friend has been caregiving for her husband for the last two years and he is getting worse.

She would like to participate in a caregivers' forum to learn and to share support.

I've not been able to find a good one. Do you have a forum to recommend?

Thanks!

If you look at the City-Data site, under General Forums, you will find a subforum on Caregiving.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Be forewarned...the caregiver forum in city-data.com is a dreary place. Those women (it seems to be all women) hold nothing back.

Be forewarned...the caregiver forum in city-data.com is a dreary place. Those women (it seems to be all women) hold nothing back.
OMG! Amethyst!
I was caregiver for my wife for 10 years, and my present wife was caregiver for her dad who had Alzheimers.
I fortunately did not have any problems, but my wife told me of the issues she had with her dad.
You are right about that site, but at least there may be information on resources or suggestions on how to deal with situations.

Two things that will definitely help a family member who is a caregiver at home are a local support group and a caregivers workshop.

What about forums specific to the disease? There are generally sections in those for caregivers. And some of the caregiving issues are different depending on the diagnosis

Once joining a forum and establishing oneself there may be leads to facebook groups ( some are secret)

Your local Area Agency on Aging might also host meetings for caregivers in addition to being a source of help to you. They can also provide referrals to other agencies.

It's just that the tone of the site can bring one down, as there is never any good news, and the participants love to say things like "it will only get worse." They often express their very real suffering and frustration in strongly emotional language. Someone who is sensitive, and is already "down" may wish to think twice before wading in.

OMG! Amethyst!
I was caregiver for my wife for 10 years, and my present wife was caregiver for her dad who had Alzheimers.
I fortunately did not have any problems, but my wife told me of the issues she had with her dad.
You are right about that site, but at least there may be information on resources or suggestions on how to deal with situations.

Thanks for the tips. The city data site looks good.

We live in an isolated area so no local in-person groups. My friend realizes she would get more physical and emotional support in a more populous area but she and DH have decided they want to die in their garden. Took them a long time to make this decision and I respect that.

She has never participated in a forum. I'll try to take your advice and go to her house and learn the diseases she is dealing with and see if I can help her find forums specific to them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom