Canada has legal cannabis today

Opinions vary, but western civilization certainly doesn’t seem worse than many/any others...
Given the plant was legal since the beginning of time and only illegal for a hundred years I'm not sure how it's going to change much. [emoji12]

I certainly don't notice any changes, other than lower cannibis costs. Much rather the schools have tax money as opposed to organized crime.

Given the plant was legal since the beginning of time and only illegal for a hundred years I'm not sure how it's going to change much. [emoji12]

I certainly don't notice any changes, other than lower cannibis costs. Much rather the schools have tax money as opposed to organized crime.

Opium plants have been around for years too. Not saying much.

Not sure about Canada, but in Colorado, top shelf weed is sold for around $400/oz. per my very limited (n=1) experience, which probably isn’t that out-of-line for primo street weed.
$400 is high. There's 28% THC flower for under $200/oz. Smaller quantities are of course priced higher. Oh and add 25% tax. If you don't mind an NSA record of you Googling it, you can try "the farm Boulder" and shop to see Colorado prices.

Hail the gateway drug!

My podunk state already has the highest binge drinking stats in the US. I can imagine if/when marijuana is legalized how much more less productive we will become. Drunk or high all the time. Yipppee!

This is another issue that has "been decided". It is only a matter of time. In Canada, you have the long, cold winters, binge drinking and now legal weed to keep you busy. Whew.

Opium plants have been around for years too. Not saying much.
Yes. And I remember my grandmother telling a story of her walking to the pharmacy at 7 years old to get a bottle of tincture of opium on credit to save her family from a whopping cough outbreak.
No one ended up an opium addict, though some had alcohol issues.
Guess we're not as responsible or educated or trustworthy as previous generations.

I think legalization of recreational mj in Canada will lead to a resurgence of consumption of poutine. Great opportunity for early investors to get in now. :)

Whether anyone agrees, or thinks it wise, humans have been getting high, legally or not, since crawling out of the muck, and will likely continue to do so... At least the government is a crime syndicate we elect.

What are follow in drugs?
The gateway myth is pretty well discredited. What correlation there is could be attributed to the fact the guy you bought your weed from might also sell a bit of cocaine, with legal weed you're no longer associating with known criminals.

The gateway myth is pretty well discredited. What correlation there is could be attributed to the fact the guy you bought your weed from might also sell a bit of cocaine, with legal weed you're no longer associating with known criminals.

I wonder why you would say that?

With legalized marijuana being strongly regulated by a very interested group of politicians, aren't you now dealing with a group of known crooks and thugs far surpassing the so-called evils of drug dealers? I'd let my kids hang around drug dealers before I'd let them hang around Illinois politicians.

Last edited:
There is, and likely will always be a black market for everything.

We have legal alcohol everywhere. It is known to be addictive, known to cause violence at times, and people who are drunk are scary drivers. Very accident-prone.

Marijuana isn’t addictive, isn’t a gateway drug, makes people mellow rather than violent. I’d rather see that than drunks. Dorito chips are plentiful.

Actually mj is enormously stronger than the stuff I smoked in college in the 60s. I don’t even get the munchies on the new stuff! But what is even better is using edibles instead of smoking it. It lasts a lot longer and you don’t cough. I’d rather have pot in my system than alcohol. Countries are finally figuring out they can tax it and increase revenue...

Just an observation, I think alcohol addiction is a larger problem than smoking weed.
I agree that any addiction is worse than casual use. Issue is whether being high on anything creates hazards for others.

Correlation does not equal causation. Need more data.
True. But when the accident rates in legal states increase significantly versus dropping in nearby control states in the same time frame, I'll hazard that correlation strongly indicates causation.

Back
Top Bottom