Canceling ACA Insurance When Starting Medicare

^^^ This is why you cancel autopay in the previous month.

^^^ This is why you cancel autopay in the previous month.

Yes, I should have done that. At one point I thought about it but I forgot.

Still , it seems like MediCare could do better on this.

Murf

I just did the ACA policy cancellation using healthcare.gov and thought it was fairly straight forward. My Medicare coverage starts 11/1/22, I followed the procedure to terminate ACA coverage, the date I wanted to end coverage 10/31/22 was already populated but could be changed to any date as needed. There was also a note under the policy termination date selected stating that if the policy is cancelled no claims will be covered by the policy after this date. My policy status on healthcare.gov now shows coverage thru 10/31/22. I also contacted BCBS to end autopay.

Last edited:
I just did the ACA policy cancellation using healthcare.gov and thought it was fairly straight forward. My Medicare coverage starts 11/1/22, I followed the procedure to terminate ACA coverage, the date I wanted to end coverage 10/31/22 was already populated but could be changed to any date as needed. There was also a note under the policy termination date selected stating that if the policy is cancelled no claims will be covered by the policy after this date. My policy status on healthcare.gov now shows coverage thru 10/31/22. I also contacted BCBS to end autopay.

This is good to know, thanks! My November payment was just taken out of my checking account today, so I immediately went to the BCBS website and cancelled the auto payment since my Medicare coverage starts December 1st. This gives me the confidence to cancel on the ACA website.

I cancelled my ACA plan today online and it was painless. The ACA website sent me an email reminding me that I start on Medicare December 1 and that I needed to cancel my ACA plan (something to that effect). I followed their directions and it autofilled in the date of November 30th as the cancel date along with a statement that I wouldn't be covered after that date.
I took a screenshot, so I suppose I'm covered until medicare starts on December 1.

We talked to the ACA help desk rep about this question. She advised us to call a rep when we cancelled the coverage instead of trying to do it online.

I cancelled my ACA plan today online and it was painless. The ACA website sent me an email reminding me that I start on Medicare December 1 and that I needed to cancel my ACA plan (something to that effect). I followed their directions and it autofilled in the date of November 30th as the cancel date along with a statement that I wouldn't be covered after that date.
I took a screenshot, so I suppose I'm covered until medicare starts on December 1.

We talked to the ACA help desk rep about this question. She advised us to call a rep when we cancelled the coverage instead of trying to do it online.

When I wanted to do it the site said to call as DW and DD are also on the plan... so tried to cancel in the middle of the month and was told that I could NOT do that.... but needed to cancel the last day of the month..

Well, I am now into medicare and a hospital says that it still lists me being with BCBS and they will not schedule me for anything until I get rid of BCBS as they are not in network...

Called again yesterday and I think got cancelled, we will see. Put in a claim to adjust my last date to the end of last month.

SOOO, make sure that you actually get it cancelled

The ACA rep we spoke to told us about the website to cancel. She said that due to the fact that we wanted to convert our family coverage to individual coverage for my wife (since I am going on medicare), it was better to talk to a rep to get it straightened out.

Back
Top Bottom