Canine problems

On another note, is it just my perception or do the FIREd / gonna be FIREs someday population of this forum have fewer children than the general US population? Are people without children more likely to FIRE? Or is this so self-evident that I'm the only one that didn't see this?:)

I believe this has been discussed a number of times. I don't remember any polls, but from reading the board over time it appears that participants here tend to have way fewer children than the general population, or a group wih similar incomes.

Many parents here have testified that they have no trouble limiting their kids' expenses, but I think maybe they haven't been through the teen braces, clothes,etc. period yet.

Overall, it seems that it must be easier to control one's own expenses, next to negotiate some sort of control with spouse, and last to limit kids' expenses.

But people here are not typical in any way that I can see, so this may not apply to us(them).

Ha

Thanks for the admiration!. We're biased -- we think she's the prettiest dog in the world, but I have to say that I envy Rich Sophie's beautiful coat (and, from what Sarah and you have said in the past, her immaculate manners). So sorry she's no longer with you, Rich. Lilly just passed her TDI (therapy dog) exam and so has pretty good manners, but she's only 2 and so we're still working with an adolescent. She's sweet as honey, huge-hearted, willing to please, loves to work, and steady. No bad habits. What a loss for the people who turned her in!

And no, she's not a Ridgeback, though that is nearly always everyone's first guess and she does look like one, excepting the ridge. According to her prior owners, she's a purebred lab, though of the Field and Trial variety, so she's tall, leggy, lean and has a lot of endurance and energy. Her coloring is unusual for labs, but it's called "Fox Red." We call it "butterscotch." She's also really big for a lab (sizewise she is much more in line with the Ridgebacks) -- she's a very trim 88 lbs. Wow, I just chatted about my dog for two paragraphs! Can you tell I'm besotted?

As far as the alpha roll, I've done it too, but it was instinctive. I was out hiking with my college BF and his (rescued and very large) malamute, who had some dominance issues. About a 1/2 mile into the hike he realized he'd forgotten to lock the car, so ran back to lock it while I hung out with the dog and waited. I'm sitting on a stump in the forest with the dog on a leash when I hear a rumbling next to me. I look at her and she's up, snarling, growling AT ME. First time ever she had shown aggression towards anyone, so far as we know. Man, was I pissed. I jumped up, caught her by the throat, slammed her down on the ground, and snarled and yelled "NO!" as loud as I could. Talk about instant limp dog! Then I sat back down and kept her in a down-stay until BF got back. She and I never had an issue again. ;). But I think I was just lucky -- if she'd scared me rather than pissed me off, I'm not sure things would have gone well for me in that encounter.

However, such an approach isn't something I'd try with a strange dog, off-leash, coming at me in a park. I think I'll be looking into the pepper spray, too.

As for spouses... well... why don't you try it, Rich, and get back to us on that one?

I kinda knew I had that coming...

Urchina I am somewhat familiar with the field-bred Labs and I've seen some wonderful examples of them around here. You have a real prize there, especially to be so mannerly and biddable at such a young age. Labs take a long time to grow up. :)
Kinda like men....

I would be glad to offer training to your spouses on the alpha roll, gentleman. But I'm betting they could do it without lessons if you irritated them enough. ;)

I would be glad to offer training to your spouses on the alpha roll, gentleman. But I'm betting they could do it without lessons if you irritated them enough. ;)

Heck, my DW is just happy I'm housebroken...(mostly);).

Little runt dogs. Not a very effective method of hiding your personal bias'.

I like all types of dogs, large and small. While I agree that the smaller ones tend to be more vocal/yappy, I'll take an attack by a dachsund or a pug any day over a golden or a pit bull. I don't agree at all that noise making and vicious behavior are linked. And I don't quite understand what a dog's viscosity has to do with anything. :D

My experience is that each dog has a personality, while each breed has a reputation. The only dog that has ever bitten me in real anger was a dalmation, although back in the old days when I worked for a vet I got bitten in fear by any number of breeds. I've occasionally had a chihuahua hanging off my pants leg, but for some reason it just didn't get the old adrenaline flowing. It was more a throttling down of my desire to laugh than a fight/flight instinct.

Nothing to hide. Rat dogs just have a loud bark to make up for their size problem. :) I have a scar on my leg from a German Shepard. Just a bite and release mark. Darn thing bit me then ran off to the hills. :LOL: Suppose I tasted bad.

On today's walk in the park (this was in an on-leash area next to a major bike/walking path) we had a mid-size dog come running up to us and no owner in sight. It circled us a couple of times and the owner finally came ambling along about 50 feet away. I called to him to please to leash his dog because I didn't want to have to hit it or pepper spray it to keep it away from us.

His reply, not unexpectedly, was to threaten me with assault if I did anything to his animal.

Anecdotal evidence like that is leading me to believe that yes, the idiots have won war. There's just too many of them to deal with.

cheers,
Michael

Get this - talked to a neighbor this morning and she told me there's a guy (who lives nearby?) who lurks on the trails and takes pictures of people with their (illegally) off-leash dogs. Then he reports them to animal control, which has resulted in a number of tickets.

As a youngish woman, I can't fully condone hiding in the bushes with a camera, because that's just kind of creepy, but it does make me kind of happy that someone's reporting the problem.

My neighbor is one of the offenders and of course thinks the guy is completely off-base because you know, they just want to let their dogs run around and play with each other. After all, they're all friendly! :rolleyes:

A dog that runs for help after he bites your leg off.

Bingo--I heard it as a dog that rips your face off and then runs for help.

Pit bulls: the most misunderstood dog. Pit bull owners who make their dogs vicious: scum of the earth.

Here's a lawsuit in the making if there is a law against feeding someone else's dog. This quarter block dog park is in the "rural" part of the city. Don't forget to pick up its poo. How would you go about getting the owner's name to complain?

Attachments

• IMG_4170.JPG
    IMG_4170.JPG
    568.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
What a jerk, to let his obviously dangerous dog run free like that.
Reading that story reminded me of the day that big black dog (no owner present) was eyeing my little puppy and me...very glad my garden was fenced so we could take refuge til the dog went back home. Rocket Dog's instincts were right on target, methinks.

The dachsund was lucky with those injuries to have survived. Too bad the golden retriever's owner let his dog run free.

A couple of weeks ago I watched a wonderfully sweet well-behaved 5 y/o golden retriever female play catch with a large mole, tossing it up and down, biting into it, and stepping on it when it tried to run away.

Back
Top Bottom