Can't stop savers mentality

After spending 20 minutes in a store looking at towels for our new but old home I gave up! I then spent most of an hour comparing pricing, weight , thickness, etc on several sets on line. I may have saved $10.00 . When will the madness stop?
And who pays $150.00 for a blinking shower curtain?
We've got it, but I am having a helluva time spending it and so is the OH, except for his new car.
The prices for stuff we hardly ever buy are crazy. We just bought a new mattress and springs and the guy gave us two $100.00 pillows. Glad to take them but the pillows weren't all that special.

I agree that it is not always easy to change spending habits. Things we have done:
DH does not like to fly, but will go if it is first class. We have the $$, so I can go along with this. (I like it too.)
We are really going to loosen up the purse strings next year and reno our back yard, including a pool and new deck. We did a lot of the prep work late this summer. Side benefit, this has been a fun project for us to work on together.
Hmmm number 3, I guess I still need to keep working on this too!

Even though I am FI but not yet ER, I'm trying to learn to spend more by paying others to do chores that I would rather not do, such as wallpaper removal, painting, etc. I'd much rather spend that time biking, hiking or kayaking. This is hard for an avid DIYer.

Yep, me too! I used to do almost everything around the house and car. I've powered rodded my main sewer line in the middle of the night, in the winter. I had to shovel part of the yard just to locate the cleanout!

Now I live in a townhouse with an HOA and use the stealership for my auto work. Yes, it's 2-3X the cost of my DYI, but like you I'd rather be outside having fun :dance:

Yeah .... I'd be lost without my gardener & son. (1/3 acre)

I cannot share a room when traveling and prefer 4-5☆ (Hilton = 4☆) and I won't do group tours but will hire drivers. I will do economy plus if on an aisle, otherwise business class. Yes, I'm spoiled so next year's trip to Ukraine will be interesting as I'll be "roughing" it - lodging wise

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom