Car Windshield Replacement

Sorry, this is not accurate for all states. In Arizona, folks with comprehensive coverage, by law, can and do get cheap replacement glass coverage with zero deductible. Also the law forbids insurers from using windshield replacement claims to hike your insurance rates.

I wish it was that way in every state. It’s not like it’s the drivers fault that a rock hits a windshield. Personally, I think it’s generally the government’s fault for not maintaining the roads. I went through a phase where I was getting a new windshield on every car I owned and one got two windshields (I leased and turned cars every two years). I asked AAA if I could buy a policy with a different deductible (zero) just for the windshield and was told no. Note, cars with heads up display have very expensive windshields.

Last edited:
With these new lane detection avoidance systems the cost goes up considerably. It turns out that in addition to the windshield and installation there is a $300 charge to calibrate the lane detection system. Since the claim is no fault, I am going through the insurance company. They want me to use Safelite. I will have to pay the $500 deductible.

I'm in Illinois, and handled claims in Illinois and Missouri. I was unaware of specific states carving out laws concerning rates being adjusted for prior claims.
From Auto Glass Insurance Questions & Answers in Arizona :
Does my filing of an auto glass claim for windshield have any affect on my insurance rates? No. According to state law 20-263 of Arizona; a claim of “no fault” for auto glass repair or replacement will not hike the rates. Hence your insurance provider cannot raise your rates when the accident is due to vandalism, flying objects, kicked up rocks, natural disasters or extreme temperatures.

"And it will affect your future rates if you quote with another Ins company, even for w/shield repairs."

Per my own quote, I was talking about getting Insurance rates from other companies, not whether your own company would raise your rates. It is standard that most companies will not raise rates for glass claims, but if you go for rates elsewhere, they will take your claims history into account. Arizona law may say something about that, but not in the link you supplied.

"Hence your insurance provider cannot raise your rates when the accident is due to vandalism, flying objects, kicked up rocks, natural disasters or extreme temperatures."

Last edited:
Went to a Mercedes dealer to have windshield glass replaced. USAA required them to use Safelite glass unless I wanted to pay the difference for OEM glass. The dealer found defects in the Safelite glass and USAA allowed them to install the OEM glass with no up charge to me.

Repaired usually has no deductible cost with most companies. Replacement will be subject to your comprehensive deductible which is 1000.00 for me. If your carrying 0 ded on comp, you are paying much higher premiums to take care of claims you may never have.

Edited to add: I have never had to replace a windshield due to damage. I have had several repaired for rock hits at no charge from my Insurance company.

And it will affect your future rates if you quote with another Ins company, even for w/shield repairs.

With $100 deductible, comprehensive coverage on my vehicles is ~$50/year each.

I keep it even on vehicles where I've dropped collision coverage.

Back
Top Bottom