Cashless travel

Finishing up a trip to Italy (Rome, Lake Maggiore, Milan) and Lugano, Switzerland.

I've used Apple Pay everywhere. Did withdraw some money because I've gone on a couple of walking tours where you tip.

Otherwise, Apple Watch and one time iPhone everywhere, on buses, trams and metro.

In Rome, the buses have contactless terminals now. Same thing in Milan, though when I took the metro, it wouldn't recognize the Apple Watch but it did recognize my iPhone. Weird, considering that they're linked to each other.

But after that one time, I've used it on trams though some older tram lines do not have contactless.

First day I used it 3 or 4 times, maybe 5 times. New morning my credit card was charged 4.4 Euros.

But the odd thing is the charges I put in Rome buses didn't show up, at least not days after the charges. I haven't checked in awhile.

I avoided withdrawing any Swiss Francs, though I expect to go back, despite the high prices.

Amazing the price difference, a cappuccino in Italy is like €1.50-€2 in Italy. In Switzerland it's at least 3.50 CHF.

Then again, in the US, they're like $4 or more.

But the it's smaller in Europe, though I suspect the medium and large that you get in the US are just extra milk but about the same amount of coffees as you get in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom