Cataract Surgery

HarryHawk

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone have cataract surgery using Symfony Multifocal lenses? How do you like them.

I'm getting ready to have my eyes done, debating on going with a standard lens or a multifocal. The multifocal sound good, maybe too good to be true.

Multifocals aren't cheap, so I was originally thinking about going with the standard lenses, but the more I thought about it, if they perform well, they would be worth it.

Last edited:
I went with the standard lenses. Wish I'd gone with the optional multifocals.

I see great--except up close--the closest 2'. The fonts on many household products are micro and I need my glasses and a magnifying glass to read them. What's difficult is finding my glasses.

You made me curious enough to research a little, though I already have standard lenses. The Symfony is frequently referred to as a "new" lens and one reference I found said it was introduced sometime in the two years up to December '21.

My policy is that I want to know that tens of thousands of people have preceded me in testing any wonderful new idea. Wooden basement foundations, for example. New medical devices for another. So I would probably avoid these.

From a career in high tech I know that it is the guys out front who have the arrows in their chests. YMMV, of course.

I agree with not necessarily being in the beta testing for new "improvements" when it comes to routine healthcare.

Looks like they were approved in 2016

https://abbott.mediaroom.com/2016-07-15-FDA-Approves-the-Tecnis-Symfony-Intraocular-Lenses-the-First-and-Only-Extended-Depth-of-Focus-Lenses-for-People-with-Cataracts

ABBOTT PARK, Ill., July 15, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Abbott announced today that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the Tecnis Symfony® Intraocular Lenses for the treatment of cataracts. The first in a new category of intraocular lenses (IOLs), the Tecnis Symfony lenses are the only lenses in the United States that provide a full range of continuous high-quality vision following cataract surgery, while also mitigating the effects of presbyopia by helping people focus on near objects. The FDA approval includes a version of the lens for people with astigmatism, the Tecnis Symfony Toric IOL.

I saw one clinic claiming over 20,000 implants as of 2018.

Last edited:
I had the symfony MF lens in one eye and the synergy EDOF lens in the other eye. definitely glad I went with the "premium" lenses instead of the monofocal lenses. only need reading glasses for very small print. can see my phone and read the paper fine w/o reading glasses. very good distance and intermediate vision. had the surgery 1 year ago. although the symfony lens was only approved in the USA about 2 years ago it had been used in Europe before that.

Back
Top Bottom