Catastrophic coversge ??

Ken11

Recycles dryer sheets
I understand a hardship exemption from obamacare enables folks over30 to shop for catastrophic coverage.

I expect my 2017 premiums meet the criteria for hardship

I find it strange how hard it is on line to connect with providers of such insurance

Does anyone have experience with this?
Can anyone share any info on premiums for these policies?

It seems i may need to chase this by phone

The pre-ACA insurance I had for many years had a high-deductible of $10K. This was unusual 10+ years ago, and people grimaced when I mentioned it. It's basically hospital insurance (to insure yourself from hospital gouging). We were healthy and needed no on-going care. It cost $600/month for both of us when we last had it in 2014, and did not cover preexisting conditions, which we did not have any that we knew of.

I called it "catastrophic coverage" because of the high deductible, and only recently learned that there's now a separate category with that name, created by ACA. Of course, most plans now have a deductible even higher than $10K.

Would be interested to know what this is about, although I don't see how the premium can be lower than a Bronze plan after subsidy for someone with low income.

Last edited:
ACA compliant catastrophic plans and premiums can be found by using the off-exchange health plan finder: https://finder.healthcare.gov/

In the few community rated states (NY, NH) cat plan premiums can be substantially lower than Bronze plan premiums. In non-community rated states, the rates are usually similar. Cat plans are not HSA compatible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom