CDC has approved 4th vaccine dose for some people

The beef I have with articles like that, is:
They are speculating for Covid-19, they don’t know.

Meanwhile waning protection is being measured, for real.

The CDC is looking at who shows up in urgency care centers, emergency departments and hospitals. Their waning protection indications aren’t based on antibody measurements, but on those needing treatment. https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7107e2.htm

Problem is, there may be problems from continual boosting. Whether or not boosters become harmful or helpful after a certain number of them is also speculation at the moment. If one booster is good, and it seems that it is, it remains to be seen if repeated boosters every [insert time period here] will be helpful or harmful.

For those interested in getting a measure of their covid antibody levels a company called Serimmune is doing a covid immunity research study and still looking for participants, no cost involved. I signed up about 3 months ago, they send out a blood collection kit and you mail it back for analysis, about 3 weeks later you'll get a report back with your results. The blood collection is painless, similar to a prick when checking your glucose level at home except it's done on your upper arm. This is a long-term study and they will send you a collection kit every 6 months and provide you the results.
They also offer an optional expanded report that isn't covid related but will check your antibody levels against 5 different tick or mosquito borne diseases like lyme and report the likelihood if you've ever been exposed to any of those diseases. They use the same blood sample used for the covid test.
https://serimmune.com/covid19study/

Thanks Zinger! I signed up

Problem is, there may be problems from continual boosting. Whether or not boosters become harmful or helpful after a certain number of them is also speculation at the moment. If one booster is good, and it seems that it is, it remains to be seen if repeated boosters every [insert time period here] will be helpful or harmful.
Now I’m reading some other things that there isn’t such waning, and that the CDC report results were strongly influenced by a high number of immunocompromised individuals in the study. The limitations of the study explained this, that the results probably weren’t valid, but they published anyway.

Now I’m reading some other things that there isn’t such waning, and that the CDC report results were strongly influenced by a high number of immunocompromised individuals in the study. The limitations of the study explained this, that the results probably weren’t valid, but they published anyway.

Sounds like "equity market research."

For those interested in getting a measure of their covid antibody levels a company called Serimmune is doing a covid immunity research study and still looking for participants, no cost involved. I signed up about 3 months ago, they send out a blood collection kit and you mail it back for analysis, about 3 weeks later you'll get a report back with your results. The blood collection is painless, similar to a prick when checking your glucose level at home except it's done on your upper arm. This is a long-term study and they will send you a collection kit every 6 months and provide you the results.
They also offer an optional expanded report that isn't covid related but will check your antibody levels against 5 different tick or mosquito borne diseases like lyme and report the likelihood if you've ever been exposed to any of those diseases. They use the same blood sample used for the covid test.
https://serimmune.com/covid19study/

I also signed up for this a day after you posted it and the first test kit was shipped yesterday. I also signed up for the "extra" tests as well. I will be interested to see what the results show.

Now that they are lifting indoor masking requirements, they are literally giving away N95 masks in quantities greater that than the 3 per person. My wife was at Rite-Aid today and while she was at the cash, the cashier asked if she wanted some N95 masks. She said okay and was expecting three of them but the cashier gave her fifty 3M Aura N95 masks. Last year fifty of these masks would have cost over $250 and about $100 today. How times have changed.

Now that they are lifting indoor masking requirements, they are literally giving away N95 masks in quantities greater that than the 3 per person. My wife was at Rite-Aid today and while she was at the cash, the cashier asked if she wanted some N95 masks. She said okay and was expecting three of them but the cashier gave her fifty 3M Aura N95 masks. Last year fifty of these masks would have cost over $250 and about $100 today. How times have changed.

I will have to start looking for these free masks, have not seen any locally yet except through the health dept and the limit is 3. My DH and I plan to continue to wear masks in indoor crowded situations since DH has an immune compromised so we need a lot of masks.

Yeah, they were offering them at CVS the other day. I didn't use them when masks were required (I just used the cheap surgical masks) so why would I take home a bunch to gather dust? YMMV

Yeah, they were offering them at CVS the other day. I didn't use them when masks were required (I just used the cheap surgical masks) so why would I take home a bunch to gather dust? YMMV

Dust is the reason. As a woodworker, I generate a lot of sawdust at times.

Dust is the reason. As a woodworker, I generate a lot of sawdust at times.

Oddly enough, I can get a better fit (with my facial hair) using a surgical mask than an N95. As always, YMMV.

No, I haven’t seen recommendations to switch around mRNA vaccines. I wonder if there would be much difference?

Now, other non-mRNA vaccines might have some benefit as a booster. But the newer vaccines aren’t really available yet.

It looks likely that a second booster will be approved for those age 50+. If approved, I think I'll go for it.

Has anyone seen reliable advice as to which vaccine to get? I've had three Pfizers, but am considering a Moderna dose.

What little direct comparison between Pfizer and Moderna I have seen seems to give a slight edge to Moderna, but I wouldn't switch because of it. YMMV

I, too, have considered Moderna for the 4th dose, after 3 Pfizer ones.
Only reason would be to give my immune system a little different memory boost to work on. Have no idea if that would do anything or not, but I don't think it would hurt.
However, with our insurance, you may only be able to "get what you get" when we are in line.
I hope I can choose.

What little direct comparison between Pfizer and Moderna I have seen seems to give a slight edge to Moderna, but I wouldn't switch because of it. YMMV

I think the Moderna 3rd booster dose was 50mcg (100mcg for people over age 70) while the Pfizer was 30mcg. I definitely had more side effects from my Moderna booster (50mcg) than the first two Pfizer shots. I don't know if they keep the same dose for the 4th booster.

I have given some thought about the 4th shot, but I got the results from a COVID antibody study I am enrolled in and it appears that my numbers are still pretty high...so I am going to hold off for a while. All the shots I have gotten were Moderna and I would probably stick with it.

They didn't give me a number, but based on testing the blood I donated last week, the Red Cross tells me I have sufficient Covid-19 antibodies in my blood that it can be used for convalescent plasma. I'm happy about that.

It looks likely that a second booster will be approved for those age 50+. If approved, I think I'll go for it.

Has anyone seen reliable advice as to which vaccine to get? I've had three Pfizers, but am considering a Moderna dose.

My thoughts exactly. I'll probably wait until numbers in my area start to rise again, or till about 2-3 weeks before any big overseas trip, but when I get the fourth shot it will be Moderna.

Has anybody considered the JnJ shot for the 4th booster? It is supposed to have somewhat superior longevity according to some studies.

Just booked a 2nd booster (4th shot) through CVS for DW and me. We got our first boosters back in late September, so it'll be a little more than 6 months since the last shots. Seems wise to armor up before our next air flights in mid April.

Last edited:
Has anybody considered the JnJ shot for the 4th booster? It is supposed to have somewhat superior longevity according to some studies.

I believe that only the mRNA vaccines received FDA approval as 4th shots (2nd boosters). From what I read, they based their decision largely on studies and data from Israel, a country that doesn't utilize the J&J vaccine.

We'll be getting our 2nd booster (Moderna) in late April, just prior to a family get together/graduations mid May.

Back
Top Bottom