Changes in residence

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
We are going to have the house torn down and replaced.
In the meantime (6 months) we will be staying in the house next door (the owners won't be back until then).
Today we started moving stuff.

They say that's how long it will be.

Hopefully you can get moved back in your own place before the owners next door find out.

They lie. :)

+1

We had a house built in WV. They had a year to do it. They still screwed up applying for a permit then tried to blame the County for delaying the permit. We checked and found out they didn't even apply for the permit until a month before closing, and the County issued the permit within 10 days.

We ended up staying in FIL's house for ~3 weeks.

We will never, ever, buy a house that is not already in move-in condition again.

We observed a person across the street go through the process, and used mostly the same contractors.

"There once was a contractor who built a home on time and on budget....then the other contractors killed him"

Contractors Fable!:LOL:

We observed a person across the street go through the process, and used mostly the same contractors.

This is definitely one of those YMMV situations. Our first contractor built home which was a two-story on a basement was done in 6 months even with much labor migrating to the 1996 Summer Olympics. Our 2nd one was a custom built on slab, all brick 3100 sf. was done in 6 months. So it all depend on many factors depending on the type of house you are building. Hopefully your experience will be an on schedule happy ending.

Khaaaaan! So glad to see you back for a visit!

+1! In hope FL is treating you well. Winter was great here in southern OH, you didn't miss out on much snow. The daffodils are up now and the grass is lush and growing like gangbusters.

Edited to add: If time constrained, you might consider a modular home. They can look pretty good, they are done in a few days, the cost is less likely to escalate due to unexpected issues, and (important where you are), they can be weather-tight in a few hours, so afternoon thunderstorms won't damage sheathing, roof decking, etc. Just a thought.

Last edited:

+2

So happy to hear that you are building a new house! What fun and it sounds like a wonderful project for you two. Even if it does take a bit longer, I know you will figure out how to deal with that. And as you point out, there may not be any delay.

Always glad to hear about your "new life" in Florida, and how you have been. Keep us updated, please! :)

+3

Best of luck with getting the new house built.

-------------

BTW, we just had a SWFL E-R.org meetup with 6 folks attending. You were missed. Hope you'll be able to attend next season.

omni

If the site is ready to go a well organized builder can get it done in 6 months. I've only built one but it was in the 6 month area. Maybe a tad longer. Only because some of the construction workers took some time off for the Christmas holidays. Of course if you're talking about a mega house.....no way.

This is definitely one of those YMMV situations. Our first contractor built home which was a two-story on a basement was done in 6 months even with much labor migrating to the 1996 Summer Olympics. Our 2nd one was a custom built on slab, all brick 3100 sf. was done in 6 months. So it all depend on many factors depending on the type of house you are building. Hopefully your experience will be an on schedule happy ending.

Agreed. Six months is plenty of time to build a house. All depends on whether the GC is able to keep all the subs on site or not. Ours was built in less than 6 months and I would say that probably still more than half of that time, no crews were on site and no actual work was going on.

If the contractor is a respectable company they should get a house done in 6 months. Of course if it is a mega home then maybe not.

I built a 1600 sf home and it took 4 months. I had some of the work done but all building and wiring was done by me and a few friends. This was also done after work and on weekends so yes it can be done with no problem.

I would also if it is a big thing to have it done in 6 months is to have them sign a contract for a time line and with penalties for going over etc..

6 months not unreasonable. However, the uptick in residential and multifamily around here would indicate that contractors are pretty busy, so I'd be cautious.

Eh, if they go over, it's not the end of the world. Good luck--it sounds very exciting! Keep us posted.

I would also if it is a big thing to have it done in 6 months is to have them sign a contract for a time line and with penalties for going over etc..

If time is very important to you, I'd second this recommendation. But, you might see a commensurate bump in price.

One of the immutable rules of contracting is, "no risk gets transferred for free." :nonono:

we went thru this in 2010-2011, it was not a tear down, it was a complete gut job, truly complete, when the gutting was done just the bricks were left , roof, and i think they were called joists(which were also replaced, as well as the roof) they pulled the permits in july 2010, i knew they would start in october as that is what we were told, they started on january 3rd, they told us July first they would be done, that came and went, then sept 1st, then the brides birthday sept 15th then long story short we moved on a thursday night oct 20th ish, house wasnt all done but close, we lived in an apt for 17 years and gave the landlord 6 months notice, so we overstayed july aug sept and oct, they finished the basement in jan 2012, oh the original price was 240,000 just for the gut job, (we already bought the house, the final price of the gut job was 360,000, everyone told us be glad he finished and didnt run off with your money. best of luck

Back
Top Bottom