Charitable donations pre- and post-FI/RE

azanon said:
Nords...

...I understand you're likely in the narrow-minded majority that probably thinks it is a good solution to solving problems and you probably chuckled with glee like a little kid when the media on TV was talking about our "shock and awe".

Wow. Honest, I thought you paid more attention than that.

Nords said:
Hopefully you have the character to go with those characteristics, because otherwise I'd sure hate to be working under or even near you when you execute your plans for GS-14 world domination. You have the potential to be an even more positive influence on people than the negative example you've been setting so far. What you do with that potential is up to you.

azanon said:
I can be anything i want to be with the blink of an eye.  To use an analogy, in RL/work, i'm Garth Brooks.  On these boards, i'm Chris Gaines.
Well, I guess I'm wrong. Good talking to you, Az, you have a nice life now.

Well, I guess I'm wrong. Good talking to you, Az, you have a nice life now.

You're leaving the boards? With such a high post count? Take care man!

Wow. Honest, I thought you paid more attention than that.

I think you lost us all, probably including Nords. Explain.

shiny said:
I don't think you can force charity, ... it is an individual choice.  In fact, I resent anyone that tells (preaches) to others that they MUST give.
. . . Yrs to Go said:
I, personally, am a bit disgruntled with the large-tragedy, telethon, charity-concert, group-hug, emotional trap the country, and the media has fallen into. .. every day families and individuals have equally as large tragedies on a small scale.  Is the individual who lost their home to flood waters in New Orleans any more deserving of our sympathy than the individual who lost their home to fire on the same day somewhere else in the country? 
My feeling on this has grown ever stronger after 9/11....I gave generously to 9/11 relief charities of all kinds.  ...About a year or two ago I run into "Suzie", ...She informed me that she had just closed on the purchase of a $700,000 brownstone ...Many people may view this as crass, but I couldn't help but wonder if my contribution to "Suzie's" daughter's college fund wouldn't have been better spent somewhere else.

I couldn't agree with the both of you more. Amazing and powerful is the influence of the media on American's gift giving. We are a profoundly generous society.  :D

On the other hand, my husband and I prefer less hoopla, giving in quiet, unnoticed ways to single people in single events that move our hearts.

There is a place for each style, I suppose. However, I must admit that I was somewhat offended?  :eek: shocked? :confused: by the magnitude of the money given one set of victims (say, 9-11) and yet others, silently everywhere, get little or nothing.  :'(

Akaisha
Author, THE ADVENTURER'S GUIDE TO EARLY RETIREMENT
RetireEarlyLifestyle.com

Was it ever thus:confused:

By exiting well out of the affected zone - we were helped relatively pomptly and - 'more than enough' - since I always had a backup plan and emergency reserve.

Friends and relatives(via text message and phone when it works) in the area - are having a much more difficult time - in variety of ways.

Decent shelter seems most vexing - money doesn't help - if there is nothing availible.

At the grocery store - "Would you like to donate to the victims of Katrina?"

On the street corner - "Would you care to make a donation to help the victims of Katrina?"

On the screen of my ATM (no joke!) - "Press Yes to donate $1 for the victims of Katrina."

Pressed "NO" and committed to donate a dollar to something, anything, else.

. . . Yrs to Go said:
Pressed "NO" and committed to donate a dollar to something, anything, else.
When I was a teenager, one of our school's more notable hoodlums challenged learners got the bright idea to take a coffee can door-to-door in December to collect funds for the Red Cross.

Business was invigorating & brisk (think Pittsburgh in winter) and he was over $500 ahead (pure profit, no overhead and no intention of sending ANYTHING to the RC) until one of his happy donors called his parents to express their congratulations at their son's impressive initiative and maturity.

Overheard during the run-up to the explosion: "MY SON is collecting for the RED CROSS?!? He's supposed to be at detention!!!!"

The son soon learned how difficult it was to give back $500 a dollar at a time, with explanations. He's probably a stockbroker now. But I'm sure all our nation's challenged learners can aspire to greater goals.

Somewhere, all across the nation, young entrepreneurs are painting "KATRINA" on coffee cans and lacing up their walking shoes...

Nords said:
Overheard during the run-up to the explosion:  "MY SON is collecting for the RED CROSS?!?  He's supposed to be at detention!!!!".... He's probably a stockbroker now. ...Somewhere, all across the nation, young entrepreneurs are painting "KATRINA" on coffee cans and lacing up their walking shoes... 

Nords, you are hilarious! ;) I am smiling and laughing, except that I know what you said is TRUE! (not necessarily the part about stockbrokers. :D :D) I knew guys like that in High School...

You know the old saying: "Let the donator beware!" :LOL:

Akaisha
Author The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom