Cheapest cell-phone plan?

Right now, I pay about $42 per month through Sprint. This plan includes unlimited texting. There's no data plan or Internet access.

I use my cell phone for voice about 200 minutes per month. I send about 400 texts per month.

Virgin Mobile has a Beyond Talk plan that offers 300 voice minutes per month and unlimited texts for $25 per month.

I like the $25 Virgin Beyond Talk plan a lot, especially the inclusion of the unlimited "Text, Email, Data & Web". I will switch to that plan when feasible .

I have a Verizon plan....$40.00/month for 400 minutes which I generally don't use in a month but once or twice a year I come pretty close. I keep it because most of my friends have Verizon, and we can have unlimited communication without depleting the minutes. I have a friend who recently moved to AL and sometimes we yak a lot. I also have a land line via Comcast. I have had Verizon and the same cell phone number since the early 90's and it has become a habit. I don't have a fancy phone...just one that is "free" with a two year contract. I don't text at all.

I'm in the market for a new cell phone, and I'm going to try this "All You Need" plan from Walmart:

Shop - Service Plan

I use my cell phone as my primary phone, averaging about 600 minutes a month and 100-200 texts. So the other kinds of prepaid would not work out well for me.

My friend has used it for about a year and has been pleased with it. Only $32.80 with tax, etc., etc. She said there have been a few remote areas where she lost coverage, so I checked the coverage map. Should be good for the areas I travel. There's no contract, so if it doesn't work well, I'm only really out the phone.

Sharing this in case it helps someone else.

We also have the T Mobile. Got the 1000 minutes in 2008. Renewed 100 minutes in 2009 and 2010. Still have 900 or so minutes.

I use Net 10. I will say customer service lacks so I try to do everything online. With Net 10 you can identify what type of service carrier you want based on the zipcode you enter when you purchase. Check out Fatwallet.com and do a search for the latest Net10 thread. I just purchased another Refurb phone with $25 30 day 750 min card for $21.38 after discount code 44777 and since I went thru my fatwallet account I got another 15% off so my cost is $18.38 for 750 min 30 days. Test is 1 min.

Tomcat98

For Verizon coverage/call quality, without the Verizon price - PagePlus is awesome.

They use the Verizon network, plans are pre-paid, and dirt cheap. The lone caveat - they're not good for anyone needing data/smartphones.

1200 minutes talk/1200 texts: $30/month.

Unlimited talk/unlimited text: $45/month.

Above are total prices...no taxes, add-on fees, contracts, or any of the other junk you don't want. You can save a few more pennies, by buying your minutes at various online vendors when they go on sale.

I used PagePlus for 2+ years, loved 'em. Got sucked into the smartphone craze, though...I'm still not used to the monthly sticker shock.

In case we have any cell phone penny pinchers, my common scents 7 cent minute plan got bought out by Virgin Mobile. They have a plan on their paylo option for $30 a month you get 1500 minutes, 500 texts, and 10 mb (?) of internet which I was told you could check your email approximately 100 times. No contract. This will be enough minute time where I am cutting my landline. Will save $40 a month. It is on the sprint network. Works great where I'm at.

Not to be bragging but we have the best cell plan of anyone. DW has a Droid from Verizon along with unlimited minutes, texting (she does voice texting), data package so she can use the phone as a computer, unlimited minutes, free long distance, GPS, 850K ringtones, 1.5M choices of wallpaper, etc, etc. I have the basic phone (what I wanted) to make calls although the minutes are unlimited as is long distance. Although Verizon had a special running to "buy one, get one free", we ended up getting a better deal of "buy none, get one free".

Honestly, what happened was our wonderful son decided to give his Mother a great Christmas present and bought her that phone and gave us both a great present of putting us on his family plan. Don't know what he is paying on the "family plan" but we were at about $85/mo and now it is zero. He's a great guy!

Wow, he is a great guy! I pay $39.99 for my new nationwide voice plan, and $29.99 for the unlimited data plan on Verizon. So, you would probably be paying a lot each month if you were paying for them yourself.

The iPhone 4 itself was $199 with a two year contract, not too bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom