City-Data

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Tried but couldn't delete this, after finding out there was an existing post here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/city-data-com-84538.html

Mods pls delete...

...........................................................................................................

The link has been cited numerous times on ER, but for those who haven't spent time to compare the statistics for their own hometown, it can be an interesting exercise in relating to the rest of the population in the U.S. and some insight in to the frame of reference that form the lifestyles that others are leading.

Just for a baseline to compare your own hometown, here's a link to my mine.

Ages, populati
on, income, housing values, cost of living average % to US and more.

Last edited:
Because I just spent some more time on the comparison site... Anyone who is even thinking about moving might want to pick your own city and do comparisons with the new location.
Perhaps the most important may be the cost of living comparison. When I used my own city as a base, and then chose San Francisco as a comparison city, a base cost of living here, picked as $50,000 saw a comparable figure of $95,000 in California. (To get the comparison calculator, you have to scroll far down on the page, to near the end.)

The available details for dozens and dozens of factors should make this a "must" search for anyone who even contemplates a change of residence... now or in the future. Amazing differences... in our case, between Peru and Chicago, 90 miles away.

Not only that, but some eye opening things that I never knew about our town... Education, jobs, healthcare, and 20 or 30 businesses, restaurants, size of the government, crime, religion, and statistics that show the level of stability, and happiness of the residents. We settled here almost by accident, but found that our current happiness is shared by the townspeople, who tend to move in, but not out of the area.

I believe that the more we know about where we live, can make us better citizens.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Peru-Illinois.html

Last edited:
Love this site...you can definitely use it for checking out demographics of any given area and crime rates too...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom