Class of 2020

Hey all! I am 4 weeks into ER and thought it was worth an update....

I was a bit nervous about leaving behind a good paycheck and worried a bit about how I would fill my day. So far, I can say that I am happy as a pig in mud. This month has flown by. My stress level is way down. I have lost 5 pounds and feel great. I have hardly given w*rk a second thought. My days are full of little chores, reading a book for the first time in forever, purging old junk, taking long walks, etc.

To all those about to join me, come on in, the water is fine!
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

So for all you 2020 ers how are you getting through the day?
I have about 5 months left and my give a **** meter is usually running pretty low.
I try to put on a good face, but holy cow am I done.
I’m right their with you!
As of Monday I have 17 weeks left.
In the past I would be among the first to speak up about issues in my department with the idea of overall improvement. Now days unless it’s a matter of life and limb, I make a conscious effort to restrain myself and (as difficult as it is at times) stay above the drama by smugly reminding my colleagues that I only have xx number of weeks left :dance: They all hate me:LOL:
I spoke with our department HR rep to see if my exit strategy was sound. My last work day is May 29th. I am using my PTO for the month of June to vacation. Our company does a plant wide paid one week shut down over the July 4th holiday. My plan is to return to work Monday July 6th to qualify for the shutdown pay. I was pleasantly surprised that all I need to do is show up, clock in then leave. I’ll be paid for my entire shift plus the week of shutdown! All that will be left is to return for the exit and post retirement info package!

"Worked" Friday morning till I got confirmation of house being sold, then headed west to Springs. Will be on PTO till March 6 when I have to go back for my last day and the exit interview.

Awesome news, nobody (both the house sold & the PTO)! 99 44/100% retired! :D

Thanks for the update, Erbragg1! I can't.... freakin'..... wait..... :D
Me either. Am rapidly completing the list of things to do before I go. Cleaned out my office, made a list of people to notify, composed a letter to be mailed to clients, ordered new stuff with my sucessor's name on it instead of mine... 27 days to go.

Hey all! I am 4 weeks into ER and thought it was worth an update....

I was a bit nervous about leaving behind a good paycheck and worried a bit about how I would fill my day. So far, I can say that I am happy as a pig in mud. This month has flown by. My stress level is way down. I have lost 5 pounds and feel great. I have hardly given w*rk a second thought. My days are full of little chores, reading a book for the first time in forever, purging old junk, taking long walks, etc.

To all those about to join me, come on in, the water is fine!
[emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Great to hear this, Erbragg1. I have run every analysis I can find, all of them say "you're set." For me, it's definitely the mental aspect: leaving a high-paying job and being someone with a big title. I do dread Sunday nights, so that's probably a pretty good indicator.

I would love puttering around the house, doing chores, going on long walks and then figure out what I want to do with the next chapter. Sounds like you nailed it!

Congratulations on your retirement and also your enjoyment of that.

Great to hear this, Erbragg1. I have run every analysis I can find, all of them say "you're set." For me, it's definitely the mental aspect: leaving a high-paying job and being someone with a big title. I do dread Sunday nights, so that's probably a pretty good indicator.

I would love puttering around the house, doing chores, going on long walks and then figure out what I want to do with the next chapter. Sounds like you nailed it!

Congratulations on your retirement and also your enjoyment of that.

Sounds like we have a lot in common... I was also a big title and paycheck and dreaded what fresh hell would come my way each Monday morning. I noticed you are not on the “list” yet unpainted.... Do you have a target date?

it could be Nov 12, 2020, i will turn 62 and get that extra 10% onto my pension. But i really really really like my J.O.B, the BS bucket never gets more then an inch deep, the challenges of fixing stuff is fun. Leadership stays out of my britches along with being a fun group!!!!

F35phixer DW retired Jan 4, 2020, her BS bucket was OVERFLOWING !!! So she left me for the winter snow birding it with my father and the other day said she wants to come back in July to Fla.... ;-)) She likes hot and here in Md we get Hot too, sooooo:confused:

And yesterday in a text she said we really should get a Corvette ;-( I guess you could sell the Benz, but how are you going to fit that $200 worth of groceries into a Vette:confused:?

Midlife crisis :confused::confused::confused:

4 weeks. 12 workdays. Not too shabby!

F35phixer DW retired Jan 4, 2020, her BS bucket was OVERFLOWING !!! So she left me for the winter snow birding it with my father and the other day said she wants to come back in July to Fla.... ;-)) She likes hot and here in Md we get Hot too, sooooo:confused:

And yesterday in a text she said we really should get a Corvette ;-( I guess you could sell the Benz, but how are you going to fit that $200 worth of groceries into a Vette:confused:?

Midlife crisis :confused::confused::confused:
Do what you like, but get the 2020 Corvette! Happy wife, happy life, and it sounds like she's moving ahead with her FIRE plans without you...what's more important?

I have about 5 months left and my give a **** meter is usually running pretty low.

Surprisingly busy and engaged. Thought I might have stopped that by now but am enjoying everything about the j** and especially the people. Using vacations to get to three day weeks means that I am enjoying these four day weekends even more [emoji3]. Life is good.

12 more work days and then done [emoji33]. Can’t wait...I think. No question that it will be happening on 3/6 though [emoji3]. Might even change my username.

Last edited:

As I hit my 90 days left mark, I nearly quit. Boss was being an his normal dictator self and demanding that I travel to the home office for no reason at all. He even played the "it's in your contract" card, which I pointed out to him that is actually isn't. No Christmas cards for him! I had to call DW to talk me down from telling him to shove it. She was very supportive of whatever I decided I wanted to do. I conceded this time, knowing that it was *my* decision as I like some of the others on my team and didn't want to leave them in a lerch.

There definitely won't be a next time.

Surprisingly busy and engaged. Thought I might have stopped that by now but am enjoying everything about the j** and especially the people. Using vacations to get to three day weeks means that I am enjoying these four day weekends even more [emoji3]. Life is good.

12 more work days and then done [emoji33]. Can’t wait...I think. No question that it will be happening on 3/6 though [emoji3]. Might even change my username.
I was determined to work hard until I couldn't, and I was busy last month, but this month has been my slowest in YEARS. I'm trying not to start anything new, as I will be transferring all accounts in 3 weeks. Last week I was bored silly so this morning I brought my travel guides to plan my July trip to Croatia...

I am staying busy at w*rk. Started my taxes, posting a lot online, working on the new house plans. Plenty to do. :LOL:

5 more months exactly from today. :dance:

New page, New LIST!

Congratulations to everyone that's "Made It" so far!

Class of 2020 (Un)Official list... (I like lists! :) ):

• dingo - 1/2/2020 (Congrats! (snuck in front of Ergragg1)) {CHECK}
  • Erbragg1 - 1/3/2020 (Early bird... Teacher's pet... ;) ) {CHECK}
  • Octogirl - 1/3/2020 {CHECK} (Getting shafted on part-time work?)
  • INTJ10 - 1/9/2020 {Waiting for Update...}
  • Out_the_Door - 1/24/2020 (Adjusted as favor to Boss) {CHECK}
  • idledancer - 1/27/2020 {CHECK}
  • nobodyspecial - 1/31/2020 {Waiting for Update...}
  • target2019 - 2/28/2020 (Missed "target", but not by much!)
  • Third Son - 2/28/2020 (Calculated from 1/9 post)
  • nobody - 3/6/2020 (PTO Cruisin' - since 1/31)
  • 51notout - 3/6/2020 (Two posts and counting!)
  • CoastboundPNW - 3/31/2020 (Filed and counting!)
  • mattwallace24 - 4/2020 (Placeholder between March & May)
  • Grimelowe - 4/3/2020 (45yo - Nice!)
  • jaharrer - 4/30/2020
  • Dalmore - 5/1/2020
  • HNL Bill - 5/1/2020 (Subject to change)(but It's gonna happen! ;) )
  • Mountain skier - 5/2020
  • kingkarmann - 6/1/2020
  • OTDasap2020 - 6/1/2020
  • pdxgal - 6/30/2020 (We're watching.... :))
  • ugeauxgirl - 7/1/2020 (Class ringleader :))
  • COcheesehead - 7/10/2020
  • wmackey - 7/10/2020
  • spikeykiller - 9/10/2020 (Say "NO!" to OMY! :))
  • Draggon - 11/1/2020 (Leaving 9/23/2020 w/PTO)
  • Mr. Vacation4us - 11/2/2020
  • f35phixer - 11/12/2020 (Not committed - likes their J*B!?)
  • ohiodep and the DW - 12/1/2020 (Leaving work 9/17/2020 on vacay!)
  • Mrs. Vacation4us - 12/15/2020 (Mr. V cut in front of her!)
  • retire202052 - 12/2020 (I may have figured out the pattern of your UserID ;) )
  • gamboolman - ??/2020 (pick a date, any date... :) )
  • Unpaintedhuffhines - ??/2020 (Pick a date, sir - it's time!)
  • RxMan - ??/20?? (Class of 2020 Official Stalker) :LOL:

Anyone else want to post their target? Also, lemme know if I miss one.

Anyone else not gotten the "New Posts" email in the last few days? It's possible I was logged out when I followed the lasts email link and it didn't register to "reset" the notifications - at least that's what I'm hoping.

I got a new email post message yesterday (Feb. 10) for this thread. My ER date is 9/1/20.

I got a new email post message yesterday (Feb. 10) for this thread. My ER date is 9/1/20.

Thanks for confirming, FF - I got an email notice regarding your reply, so looks like all is well now. I'll be sure to drop you in "The List" next time I publish it!

New page, New LIST!

Congratulations to everyone that's "Made It" so far!

Class of 2020 (Un)Official list... (I like lists! :) ):

• dingo - 1/2/2020 (Congrats! (snuck in front of Ergragg1)) {CHECK}
  • Erbragg1 - 1/3/2020 (Early bird... Teacher's pet... ;) ) {CHECK}
  • Octogirl - 1/3/2020 {CHECK} (Getting shafted on part-time work?)
  • INTJ10 - 1/9/2020 {Waiting for Update...}
  • Out_the_Door - 1/24/2020 (Adjusted as favor to Boss) {CHECK}
  • idledancer - 1/27/2020 {CHECK}
  • nobodyspecial - 1/31/2020 {Waiting for Update...}
  • target2019 - 2/28/2020 (Missed "target", but not by much!)
  • Third Son - 2/28/2020 (Calculated from 1/9 post)
  • nobody - 3/6/2020 (PTO Cruisin' - since 1/31)
  • 51notout - 3/6/2020 (Two posts and counting!)
  • CoastboundPNW - 3/31/2020 (Filed and counting!)
  • mattwallace24 - 4/2020 (Placeholder between March & May)
  • Grimelowe - 4/3/2020 (45yo - Nice!)
  • jaharrer - 4/30/2020
  • Dalmore - 5/1/2020
  • HNL Bill - 5/1/2020 (Subject to change)(but It's gonna happen! ;) )
  • Mountain skier - 5/2020
  • kingkarmann - 6/1/2020
  • OTDasap2020 - 6/1/2020
  • pdxgal - 6/30/2020 (We're watching.... :))
  • ugeauxgirl - 7/1/2020 (Class ringleader :))
  • COcheesehead - 7/10/2020
  • wmackey - 7/10/2020
  • spikeykiller - 9/10/2020 (Say "NO!" to OMY! :))
  • Draggon - 11/1/2020 (Leaving 9/23/2020 w/PTO)
  • Mr. Vacation4us - 11/2/2020
  • f35phixer - 11/12/2020 (Not committed - likes their J*B!?)
  • ohiodep and the DW - 12/1/2020 (Leaving work 9/17/2020 on vacay!)
  • Mrs. Vacation4us - 12/15/2020 (Mr. V cut in front of her!)
  • retire202052 - 12/2020 (I may have figured out the pattern of your UserID ;) )
  • gamboolman - ??/2020 (pick a date, any date... :) )
  • Unpaintedhuffhines - ??/2020 (Pick a date, sir - it's time!)
  • RxMan - ??/20?? (Class of 2020 Official Stalker) :LOL:

Anyone else want to post their target? Also, lemme know if I miss one.
It looks like I am due to give an update. I am not doing so great on retirement. I did retire from my position on January 9th as planned. The same week, I was offered a temporary, part-time position at 5x my working hourly rate. I couldn't resist and started the day after I left my position. I guess the strong economy is driving demand for labor because I have had a number of offers.

It looks like I am due to give an update. I am not doing so great on retirement. I did retire from my position on January 9th as planned. The same week, I was offered a temporary, part-time position at 5x my working hourly rate. I couldn't resist and started the day after I left my position. I guess the strong economy is driving demand for labor because I have had a number of offers.
Are you enjoying it? How long is "temporary"?

Back
Top Bottom